PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2015, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel

A couple of weeks ago I replace the front struts. Last week my wife(whom thought that the Turbo badge was just a model name) told me that there was a strange sound. So I took it for a ride, and indeed there was. It was mostly noticable when turning, so I started thinking the CV was going bad. Sunday, we where driving on the highway and it was making the gentle knocking noise(I'm still thinking CV), then it started making a louder, angry growling sound, from the rear. Pretty much all the time. I'm now thinking rear bearings. We abort our trip, and I get home, and I jackup the car to check on the bearings, etc. What I found shocked me, ALL 5 lug nuts where loose, so the wheel was loose, making all the noise. The last time I took that wheel off was in June, when I replaced the shocks. I for the life of can not understand how that could happen.
What would cause the lug nuts to loosen six months later?
soonercruiser likes this.
Old 02 Feb 2015, 11:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel

somebody with a 4 way???? bout the only way i can see all 5 nuts getting loose unless you left 1-2-3 loose and the others finally worked there way loose were all 5 nuts still on the wheel??
rob342 likes this.
Old 02 Feb 2015, 11:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
somebody with a 4 way???? bout the only way i can see all 5 nuts getting loose unless you left 1-2-3 loose and the others finally worked there way loose were all 5 nuts still on the wheel??
I have done this in a shorter time frame. I now use a torque wrench to be sure. That way I don't over tighten and can't get it off if I have a flat. and don't have the issue your having.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 02 Feb 2015 at 11:49 am.
Old 02 Feb 2015, 11:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel

LEOB!!!
You get the weekly award for best thread title!!!

Gonna say there are a few brains cells out there like mine!

I had the same thing happen to me with soonercruiser years ago.
Same kinda situation with knocking noise, getting worst, on the way to work Monday.
Pulled over, jacked up the car, and viola! I could shake the RF wheel, as the lug nuts weren't tight.
I had rotated the tires myself that weekend; and the only thing that I can think of is I hand tightened, but somehow forgot to torque wrench that one wheel.
Busted_PT and PGBCruiser like this.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 02 Feb 2015, 11:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

i use a torque wrench now as well. previously i would tighten them until they broke.

i had my lugnuts come loose once, it was the father of the beautiful girl i was dating. -seriously.
Old 02 Feb 2015, 01:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
LEOB!!!
You get the weekly award for best thread title!!!

Gonna say there are a few brains cells out there like mine!
Right! (switch Lucille for loose wheel).

I know I had a loose wheel after a brake job (that's why ALWAYS test drive), but I never heard of months to loosen - I suspect foul play....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Feb 2015, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I heard that weird growling sound after picking up my Cruiser after an oil change and tire rotation several years ago, from a reputable mechanic I had been going to for years. It was driving funny too.

So I pulled over on the way home, and found that all four wheels were loose! The mechanic had apparently hand tightened them all, but hadn't used a wrench on any of them. I hadn't gone very far, so I drove right back to the shop. The mechanic denied that he had anything to do with the wheels being loose, but couldn't explain how it might have happened. I haven't been back there since.

Mychal
Old 02 Feb 2015, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychal View Post
I heard that weird growling sound after picking up my Cruiser after an oil change and tire rotation several years ago, from a reputable mechanic I had been going to for years. It was driving funny too.

So I pulled over on the way home, and found that all four wheels were loose! The mechanic had apparently hand tightened them all, but hadn't used a wrench on any of them. I hadn't gone very far, so I drove right back to the shop. The mechanic denied that he had anything to do with the wheels being loose, but couldn't explain how it might have happened. I haven't been back there since.

Mychal
Let me get this - You had tires rotated, and he said it wasn't his fault wheels were loose???
I would have laughed in his face!
I could forgive a mistake, but not denial of making a mistake.
3rcruiser likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Feb 2015, 12:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Let me get this - You had tires rotated, and he said it wasn't his fault wheels were loose???
I would have laughed in his face!
I could forgive a mistake, but not denial of making a mistake.
I know. I felt the same way. I had just driven away from there, and he knew all four wheels were off in his shop. It was him and a long time partner, and they were having other problems - it wasn't the first time I started to wonder if it was safe to go there anymore.

It was a drag, because I loved taking my cars to those two guys. They would never do anything that didn't absolutely need to be done. It used to crack me up. I'd say something like, "Shouldn't I get new spark plugs? The manual says I should change them." And he would say, "How's it run?" I'd say "It runs good." And he'd say "Well why the #&*! do you want to change them?"

Man I miss that place. But unfortunately it's not like it used to be.

Mychal
Old 03 Feb 2015, 02:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had the same problem but my wheel actually came off.
I had worked on my pickup truck and had put the tire back on with the lug nuts finger tight thinking I was going to take it off again the next day. On the next morning my other car would not start and forgot about the lug nuts only being finger tight. I was on the freeway doing 60 and saw a wheel come off the truck and then the front end on my truck came down. I pulled over and had to call my brother to come with a floor jack as I could not get the jack under it being so low.

Ever since that happen a long time ago I never put a wheel back on any of my vehicles without also torquing it immediately.