PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Violent undriveable wobble only after long drive

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2015, 07:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Violent undriveable wobble only after long drive

Newbie here, hoping for some help. My 02' has 105,000 on it and last year after a 120 mile drive the front began violently wobbling. The next day it was fine, fine for months. At the end of last summer it happened again after a 200 mile drive. So violent was the wobble that I had to limp it home slowly on side roads. A shop changed 1 front bearing and both tie-rods, 4 wheel alignment and it was all better. This year new tires just in case. But the problem is back. This time only after another 100 mile drive. Loud clanking horrible noises and another slow limp home thinking I surely destroyed another bearing but alas this morning its fine again. The same shop (a good shop) has it now and are stumped. Everything seems fine. They're taking it for a long drive to see if it happens again but ????? Someone suggested maybe the steering rack fails when it heats up? Anyone heard of this before? Thanks!!
Old 24 Feb 2015, 07:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Violent undriveable wobble only after long drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywagon View Post
Newbie here, hoping for some help. My 02' has 105,000 on it and last year after a 120 mile drive the front began violently wobbling. The next day it was fine, fine for months. At the end of last summer it happened again after a 200 mile drive. So violent was the wobble that I had to limp it home slowly on side roads. A shop changed 1 front bearing and both tie-rods, 4 wheel alignment and it was all better. This year new tires just in case. But the problem is back. This time only after another 100 mile drive. Loud clanking horrible noises and another slow limp home thinking I surely destroyed another bearing but alas this morning its fine again. The same shop (a good shop) has it now and are stumped. Everything seems fine. They're taking it for a long drive to see if it happens again but ????? Someone suggested maybe the steering rack fails when it heats up? Anyone heard of this before? Thanks!!
Rack shouldn't wobble even it it's bad.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Feb 2015, 07:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Judging by the noises I cant imagine it's the rack. I surely thought limping it home last night was causing massive carnage, clanking, thumping, grinding so loud pedestrians would look at you, but no visible issues today.....yet.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 08:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you have ABS? I'm wondering if a ABS could have gone crazy and is hitting one wheel cylinder? Never heard of it happening, and it's a wild guess.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Feb 2015, 09:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Bad cv joint on axel bindes when gets warm

I would checj for rough ness
Old 25 Feb 2015, 11:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

No ABS and yes we suspect now a CV but it sure is weird that it drives perfectly fine 95% of the time and a basic inspection shows the CV's look OK. Stressfully I need to drive it about 800 miles this weekend on a business trip. The shop is going to take it for a very long "active" drive to try and duplicate the problem 1st.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 12:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

we had this identical issue in a civic and the problem was an axle that would bind up, but only sometimes. the boot was not torn on ours either. we speculate there was some type of debris in the joint under the boot, but never bothered to investigate because axle grease is nasty.

personally, based on the title of your post, i'd fix the problem before driving 800 miles. that is too far from home to break down, too big a project to do on the side of the road, and i assume traveling that far you won't be moping along at 35mph. if it decides to bind up at highway speed, you will be walking.

Last edited by rob342; 25 Feb 2015 at 12:56 pm.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 01:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
we had this identical issue in a civic and the problem was an axle that would bind up, but only sometimes. the boot was not torn on ours either. we speculate there was some type of debris in the joint under the boot, but never bothered to investigate because axle grease is nasty.

personally, based on the title of your post, i'd fix the problem before driving 800 miles. that is too far from home to break down, too big a project to do on the side of the road, and i assume traveling that far you won't be moping along at 35mph. if it decides to bind up at highway speed, you will be walking.
And if it binds up at highway speeds, might be an unsafe situation....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Feb 2015, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the input. I told the shop owner (a good friend of mine) to just replace both CV's this morning. He said most likely they will but he really wants to positively ID the problem, which is good. I wouldn't go on a long road trip w/o knowing it was fixed. I'll let you all know what happens...

Thanks again.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 08:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had a different times both front calipers stick and drag causing quite a vibration and lots of heat from the rotors... new(remanufactured) calipers took care of the issue. It only happened or was really noticed with highway driving and only occasionally...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com