PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is this the control arm? Hearing a clunking sound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Mar 2015, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Is this the control arm? Hearing a clunking sound

Hi there,

Well first of all, thank you so much for your help.

I have a PT Cruiser 2004 with 140K miles, and I started hearing a clunking sound on the front passenger side after a 400 mile drive from Houston to Austin.

I took a picture of the part that could be making that sound (according to a friend of mine who knows about mechanics). I went through some similar posts and I believe this part is called the control arm and that I should get the Moog brand.

So I was wondering if this is the control arm indeed, and if I can just change the "joint" I show here or if I need to get the whole control arm (I am sorry, I don't know the exact name of the "joint"). Thank you so much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg failing part.jpg (75.1 KB, 69 views)
Old 01 Mar 2015, 09:23 pm
Banned

Default Re: Is this the control arm? Hearing a clunking sound

Welcome to the forum.

That is the rear bushing in the lower control arm. You can get just the bushing and have a mechanic replace just that, if you can't do it yourself. But what I found out is that I was able to get complete new arm assemblies that come with new bushings and a new ball joint and I had my mechanic replace the complete arm assembly, cheaper than for him to work with the old arms and replace the bushing and ball joint. MOOG now has a new style "Problem Solver" bushing available. But if you go with new arm assemblies, you have to be sure to have your supplier actually check that the arms have the new style bushing. MOOG may still have a supply of arms in the supply chain that have their old style (OEM) bushing. They did not create new part numbers so there is no way of telling from the part numbers if it has the old or new style bushing. Good luck.
Old 01 Mar 2015, 09:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That is a strange looking thing. What is the shinny part at the top. Looks like the top of a bolt. If so you got a bigger issue than just a bushing. I'm on a phone so I can't inlarge with clarity. I will have my friend look at this in case I'm right. Could be unsafe.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Mar 2015, 09:59 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
That is a strange looking thing. What is the shinny part at the top. Looks like the top of a bolt. If so you got a bigger issue than just a bushing. I'm on a phone so I can't inlarge with clarity. I will have my friend look at this in case I'm right. Could be unsafe.
To me it just looks like where the rubber part of the bushing has torn away and the shiny part is the bolt holding the arm.

Last edited by rckstein; 01 Mar 2015 at 10:06 pm.
Old 01 Mar 2015, 10:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for replying back!

That shinny part at the top is some grease that my friend put on the bushing, just to see if it would ease the clunking sound. I believe it did just for a few days and now it went back to it.

I read a post with a similar problem to mine, and the user got this part below for a 2001 PT Cruiser with 87K miles (mine is 2004 with 140K miles):

MOOG Part # K620010 Control Arm w/Ball Joint
Frt Susp; Lower; RH; Incl. bushings $79.79
More Information for MOOG CK620010

I will give it a try and report back if it was a match for my car. I am planning to fix it in the next two weeks.

One last question if you don't mind, should I also buy swaybar bushings and swaybar linkages? That same user bought these parts as well to fix his problem. Thank you so much again!
Old 04 Mar 2015, 12:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstondriver View Post
Hi there,

Well first of all, thank you so much for your help.

I have a PT Cruiser 2004 with 140K miles, and I started hearing a clunking sound on the front passenger side after a 400 mile drive from Houston to Austin.

I took a picture of the part that could be making that sound (according to a friend of mine who knows about mechanics). I went through some similar posts and I believe this part is called the control arm and that I should get the Moog brand.

So I was wondering if this is the control arm indeed, and if I can just change the "joint" I show here or if I need to get the whole control arm (I am sorry, I don't know the exact name of the "joint"). Thank you so much!
That's the rear control arm bushing and yes, you can purchase just the bushing but it is easier to replace the whole control arm as an assembly since the bushings are pressed-in.
Old 07 Mar 2015, 11:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well thank you all for your help. Today I bought the failing part from Advance Auto Parts and took it to my mechanic. He charged me $85.00 for labor, while others were asking $120.00.

I don't hear the clunking sound anymore, except when making narrow left turns and then releasing the wheel. According to my mechanic, the parts are still "adjusting". I'm not that convinced with that explanation, but it's way better than before. I'll take it back if it gets worse, hoping it won't.

Thanks again!

This is the part by the way, "Driveworks Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly"
Driveworks Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly 520-328: Advance Auto Parts
Old 07 Mar 2015, 11:38 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstondriver View Post
Well thank you all for your help. Today I bought the failing part from Advance Auto Parts and took it to my mechanic. He charged me $85.00 for labor, while others were asking $120.00.

I don't hear the clunking sound anymore, except when making narrow left turns and then releasing the wheel. According to my mechanic, the parts are still "adjusting". I'm not that convinced with that explanation, but it's way better than before. I'll take it back if it gets worse, hoping it won't.

Thanks again!

This is the part by the way, "Driveworks Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly"
Driveworks Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly 520-328: Advance Auto Parts
Did you do both sides? If one side failed, the other can't be far behind!
Old 08 Mar 2015, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just replaced the passenger lower control arm for the time being. My budget is kind of low, so I figured I will just wait for the left one to go bad.

My mechanic checked the left one and said it was okay for the time being. (I read in other posts that the left one lasts longer than the right one, not sure if this is accurate or why.)

I also asked my mechanic if I should do an alignment and he said it wasn't necessary because the control arm is "fixed".

Thanks!!
Old 02 Apr 2015, 03:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I was at an angle laying on the floor so I would have to say a side to side movement. One side was worse than the other. When it clunks it is a deep metal clunk, normally at startup or shortly after. Goes away after a few turns and a little driving. After a long trip it will do it as well. There are grinding noises at startup as well as a screeching noise. I just put new brakes and rotors on the front last winter.

Tags
clunking, control arm