Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pondering 17s...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2015, 01:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Pondering 17s...

Running the stock 16x6 "six-spoke" alloys, but they are showing their age.
Gonna buy new tires after this summer, might as well buy new wheels too!

Just really stuck on changing to the bigger wheel size.

PROS: much greater selection of aftermarket wheels!! (seems that 16 inch are going the way of the dinosaur...)

CONS: larger wheel = higher weight = less performance.
Also - the speedo will be off unless I use a lower-profile tire on the front.
(I'm not real fond of low-profile tires)

I know it's not a huge difference in size, but every bit adds up, and my Scottish genes are balking at even a single digit loss in fuel mileage due to the higher rotating mass ( aka "unsprung weight" ).

This bothers me in part because I plan to do the (purely cosmetic) mod of putting on wider, higher profile tires on the back (which will naturally weigh more as well...)

I have until now been planning to go with 16 inch wheels and absolutely stock tire size on the front - front axle rotations being where the speedo measurement is. (am I correct in assuming that?)

But now that I have seen the relative paucity of sixteen-inch wheel choices... I'm starting to waver! I'm even prepared to fork out vast sums of cash for highest-quality, super-lightweight, forged wheels - if only I could get them in the size & style I'm looking for!

Any thoughts on this most weighty (pun intended) conundrum??
Old 23 Mar 2015, 05:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Pondering 17s...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Running the stock 16x6 "six-spoke" alloys, but they are showing their age.
Gonna buy new tires after this summer, might as well buy new wheels too!

Just really stuck on changing to the bigger wheel size.

PROS: much greater selection of aftermarket wheels!! (seems that 16 inch are going the way of the dinosaur...)

CONS: larger wheel = higher weight = less performance.
Also - the speedo will be off unless I use a lower-profile tire on the front.
(I'm not real fond of low-profile tires)

I know it's not a huge difference in size, but every bit adds up, and my Scottish genes are balking at even a single digit loss in fuel mileage due to the higher rotating mass ( aka "unsprung weight" ).

This bothers me in part because I plan to do the (purely cosmetic) mod of putting on wider, higher profile tires on the back (which will naturally weigh more as well...)

I have until now been planning to go with 16 inch wheels and absolutely stock tire size on the front - front axle rotations being where the speedo measurement is. (am I correct in assuming that?)

But now that I have seen the relative paucity of sixteen-inch wheel choices... I'm starting to waver! I'm even prepared to fork out vast sums of cash for highest-quality, super-lightweight, forged wheels - if only I could get them in the size & style I'm looking for!

Any thoughts on this most weighty (pun intended) conundrum??
I'm running 15" on mine

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 23 Mar 2015, 06:07 am
Regular Cruiser

When I read your statement ; "I know it's not a huge difference in size, but every bit adds up, and my Scottish genes are balking at even a single digit loss in fuel mileage due to the higher rotating mass ( aka "unsprung weight" ). ", that gave me a great laugh as my German genes have been known to tell me crazy things also.

All I can say is tell your Scottish genes to take a rest and just go get the wheels and tires you like. Remind those Scottish genes that we are not talking about something like a 1963 Corvette here and you can afford to pay a penny or two more per mile to have the look you are after-LOL!
Old 23 Mar 2015, 06:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Like many in the electric chair have muttered ... " Just do it " ... They just plain look better, that's all there is to it, your inner teenager will awaken and actually demonstrate gratitude. That in itself will be worth it my friend.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 23 Mar 2015, 08:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The lower profile tires are not an issue with 17 inch rims. That's what the GT comes with from the factory. Overall tire diameter is just about the same as the stock size tires on the 16 or 15 inch factory rims. So there is no appreciable change in the speedometer. The GT 17 inch wheel is 5x100 7 inches wide and the offset is 39 mm. The stock tire is a 205/50 R17.

Here's a very good online tire and wheel visual calculator that you can play with. Enjoy.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 23 Mar 2015 at 08:03 am.
Old 23 Mar 2015, 09:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Two words. Tire Rack.
They give the weight of rims, and only show ones that fit, have a wide selection, and you can get the tires mounted and balanced ready to go.

Some other thoughts - Tires are more costly for 17 than 16 and usually have shorter lives. The wider profile is worse in winter weather.

As noted, GTs came with 17s.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Mar 2015, 12:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Discount is 175 a pop for 17s.

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...