some observations on rear sway bar bushings

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By RickinPA
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2015, 08:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Default some observations on rear sway bar bushings

My ’01 Cruiser (118K miles) developed an occasional thumping in the rear on rough road. Turns out the rear anti-sway bar bushings at the axel had wallowed out and the anti-sway bar was thumping in the bushings.

The usual auto parts suppliers didn’t carry them and the dealer wanted about $30 a piece for them. During my search, I found out there were two size rear anti-sway bars 16mm and 18mm in diameter. The rear anti-sway bars on my 2001 PT Cruiser Limited (North American) measured 16mm in diameter.

I found two part numbers for these bushings on Ebay:

4656932AA which generally is described as for 01-02 Chrysler PT Cruiser, however buried in some of the descriptive text is mention of a European suspension. But nowhere could I find the inside diameter for this bushing. This sway bar bushing has an inside diameter of 18mm.

5272526AA which is generally described as for 03-08 Chrysler PT Cruiser. But nowhere could I find the inside diameter for this bushing. This sway bar bushing has an inside diameter of 16mm. So it was the correct bushing for my ’01 Cruiser.

In the picture the inside of the bushing looks brown. This seems to be some sort of reinforcing-slippery material. The bushing appears to be molded over a tube which in service provides a bearing that allows the sway bar to rotate within the bushing.

The bolts holding the bushing brackets are tight. Spray the back side of the bolt with some penetrating oil before you remove them. There’s a gap where the bracket meets the axel, you can get to the back of the bolt through the gap. The brackets had some corrosion on the inside so I wire brushed that off and used a little soapy water on the outside of the bushings to help them seat in the brackets.

Obviously, I had to buy two sets of bushings to figure this out. At least they weren’t too expensive. I just thought I’d share this information to save others time, money and aggravation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5032384 with notes reduced.jpg (88.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 02 Apr 2015, 08:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: some observations on rear sway bar bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
My ’01 Cruiser (118K miles) developed an occasional thumping in the rear on rough road. Turns out the rear anti-sway bar bushings at the axel had wallowed out and the anti-sway bar was thumping in the bushings.

The usual auto parts suppliers didn’t carry them and the dealer wanted about $30 a piece for them. During my search, I found out there were two size rear anti-sway bars 16mm and 18mm in diameter. The rear anti-sway bars on my 2001 PT Cruiser Limited (North American) measured 16mm in diameter.

I found two part numbers for these bushings on Ebay:

4656932AA which generally is described as for 01-02 Chrysler PT Cruiser, however buried in some of the descriptive text is mention of a European suspension. But nowhere could I find the inside diameter for this bushing. This sway bar bushing has an inside diameter of 18mm.

5272526AA which is generally described as for 03-08 Chrysler PT Cruiser. But nowhere could I find the inside diameter for this bushing. This sway bar bushing has an inside diameter of 16mm. So it was the correct bushing for my ’01 Cruiser.

In the picture the inside of the bushing looks brown. This seems to be some sort of reinforcing-slippery material. The bushing appears to be molded over a tube which in service provides a bearing that allows the sway bar to rotate within the bushing.

The bolts holding the bushing brackets are tight. Spray the back side of the bolt with some penetrating oil before you remove them. There’s a gap where the bracket meets the axel, you can get to the back of the bolt through the gap. The brackets had some corrosion on the inside so I wire brushed that off and used a little soapy water on the outside of the bushings to help them seat in the brackets.

Obviously, I had to buy two sets of bushings to figure this out. At least they weren’t too expensive. I just thought I’d share this information to save others time, money and aggravation.
That's funny, because there wasn't a swaybar for the rear in those years.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Apr 2015, 09:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The 18mm was a front sway bar size.

There were some part number changes starting in 2004.
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 02 Apr 2015 at 10:07 am.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 08:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
That's funny, because there wasn't a swaybar for the rear in those years.
That's strange, because my 2002 PT has a rear sway bar (16 mm)