Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 PT Cruiser shakes at speed 40 and above

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2015, 12:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 01 PT Cruiser shakes at speed 40 and above

Our 01 PT cruiser shakes at speeds 40 and above, it started making the steering wheel shake first and now the front of the car shakes too. I don't believe any thing like ball joints tie rods, cv axles are bad because we just had those things replaced not too long ago. I'm thinking struts/shocks could be worn and need to be replaced because that's the only thing we haven't done yet there probably original too since 01. I've saw somewhere that most of the time when your steering wheel shakes it's from bad shocks, I don't know if that would be our case but that's the only thing we haven't replaced yet, I know the alignment is off but we've had cars with bad alignment and never did this ever. What do you guys think please help us.
Old 07 Apr 2015, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 PT Cruiser shakes at speed 40 and above

I have found the most common cause of vibration is wheel balance, followed by alignment.
Shocks cause vibration over bumps, but not speed related.
You can try swapping wheels front-to-back - if that does it, a wheel or 2 is out of balance.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Apr 2015, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 01 PT Cruiser shakes at speed 40 and above

Usually this is one of the following:

* Wheel alignment/balance
* Bad tire (often a knot on tire)
* Wheel bearing
* CV Joint (usually worse when turing)
* Bad inner tie rods (causes alignment issues)

No matter which it is, you likely will need an alignment and wheel balance at the end of the day anyway. My plan is usually to take my car to a shop that does alignments and ask them to check out all these things before they do the alignment. This is standard procedure at many good shops anyway. But I tell them that if the problem is caused by a bad part, call me before doing anything else. I assure them they will get the alignment job, but I'm too poor and/or stingy so I will have to do any required parts changing myself before the alignment. If it's a bad tire, I will also buy a replacement tire there if they have a good deal which the shop I use often does.

This usually works pretty good. The shop may charge a little extra for the initial inspection, but it's usually $20 or less since they get another $50 to $75 when they do the alignment.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 Apr 2015 at 02:44 pm.
Old 07 Apr 2015, 09:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 01 PT Cruiser shakes at speed 40 and above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Usually this is one of the following:

* Wheel alignment/balance
* Bad tire (often a knot on tire)
* Wheel bearing
* CV Joint (usually worse when turing)
* Bad inner tie rods (causes alignment issues)

No matter which it is, you likely will need an alignment and wheel balance at the end of the day anyway. My plan is usually to take my car to a shop that does alignments and ask them to check out all these things before they do the alignment. This is standard procedure at many good shops anyway. But I tell them that if the problem is caused by a bad part, call me before doing anything else. I assure them they will get the alignment job, but I'm too poor and/or stingy so I will have to do any required parts changing myself before the alignment. If it's a bad tire, I will also buy a replacement tire there if they have a good deal which the shop I use often does.

This usually works pretty good. The shop may charge a little extra for the initial inspection, but it's usually $20 or less since they get another $50 to $75 when they do the alignment.
When you say for the CV joint usually worse when turning what do you mean by that. Because when we do turning on the car the steering wheel feels wobbly like when we turn, feels like we are zig zagging but we're just turning.