Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air ride

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2004, 12:38 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Air ride

Posted this on Turbo section also, who has an air ride suspension, how much does it cost, who makes it, and what parts are involved in the mod. I gave up on lowering springs, now I want to push a button when I want it low, push again to bring it back up. Sounds expensive. Gary
Old 07 May 2004, 01:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Gary, the cost of bagging your car might make you choke. Plus you'll have to give up a fair amount of trunk space to the air bottle.

Why'd you give up on the lowering springs? Add a nice site of gas shocks/struts to almost anyone's springs (Eibach, GoldLine, BTG) and you'll really like the ride. Promise.
Old 07 May 2004, 03:36 am
Senior Cruiser

I believe they ride pretty rough also.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 07 May 2004, 09:20 am
Regular Cruiser

Turbomangt, I hated my lowering springs too and so I got rid of mine an put an air suspension system in (Jan 03)and never looked back. I have bagged air struts by Air Ride Technologies (http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/airstrut.asp)and the rear and system is from Easy Street (http://www.airliftcompany.com/easyst...indexframe.htm). I put a triple pod gauge with Dakota Digital (before they made a guage that does everything). I also have a rmote which allows me to lift or drop the car from a distance. I have a 5 gallon Air Tank ( the come smaller if you want) an I also put a 2000psi compressed air bottle for shows so that I do not have to wait for my sir tank to be refilled by the compressor. The ride is not rough. There is no difference between the ride of lowering springs and air bags. I put everything on myself in in one day. be sure you do a complete lay out before installing to ensure you have everything. I have 18's in the front and 20's in the rear and rears tuck under (+42 offset, thanks KevinL1058). Mine was expensive because they just came out and added estras to mine. Here is a link that will give you what you are looking for for about $1500 and it does FBSS (without remote). http://www.truckn-store.com/product....t.asp&ID=57659 I will try and post picks on Car Domain this weekend. I will let you know.
Old 07 May 2004, 10:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike-in-Orange

Add a nice site of gas shocks/struts to almost anyone's springs (Eibach, GoldLine, BTG) and you'll really like the ride. Promise.
Mike do you have gas struts?
Old 07 May 2004, 11:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

great if you want to spend tons of $$ and have your pt looking like a lincoln lsc in a few years. no longevity in air bags from what ive seen.
Old 07 May 2004, 01:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

hey dream bruiser just sent you a email with a couple of questions , if you don't get it let me know. thansk for all your help
03, onyx 5 speed, custom interior, 14 tv\'s, ps2, , custom stereo, hood, bruiser front, sides, roll pan, custom exhaust,20 inch rims, air ride system, 4 12inch subs in a molded in a box, member of del val and GROUNDED 4 LIFE. vertical doors, big ass ragtop roof, 10.5 inch screen in steering wheel, move window switches to glove box, glassed a tv where the switches were, smoothed dash and painted, led tailights, tv;s in quater panel windows

FRESH TWO TONE GREEN AND SILVER , SHAVED TAILIGHTS WITH LEDS IN THE ROLL PAN...
Old 07 May 2004, 02:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:KingKole02 Posted - 05/07/2004 : 09:04:38 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Mike-in-Orange

Add a nice site of gas shocks/struts to almost anyone's springs (Eibach, GoldLine, BTG) and you'll really like the ride. Promise.

Mike do you have gas struts?
Yeah, I put on a full set of Tokico gas shocks/struts about a month after I put on the GoldLines. The difference is like night and day! Obviously the car still looks the same, nice and low and level, but the ride quality is so dramatically changed for the better. The clunking I had, the bounciness in the back, etc, is all gone. The ride is firm but not harsh and the car just behaves a lot better, especially on fast turns with some bumps in them. I always thought that was the true measure of how well a suspension was performing - would it keep the car stuck firmly to the ground and inspire confidence in the driver if you take a fast sweeping turn with some bumps in it. My old BMW 3 Series just kicked a** in that department. My wife's '92 Camaro RS does NOT! The PT didn't either with the stock shocks/struts and the GoldLines mostly 'cause the tail end was bouncing around so much, which is actually kinda scary! It feels great now with the Tokicos. The only thing really holding it back is the center of gravity is just so high, but that's a tradeoff for driving a PT I suppose.
Old 07 May 2004, 06:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

those front air struts from AIM are crap. i had tried to fabricate a top mounting for that kit and nothing but headaches landed up sending them back and buying the ridetechs. one piece of advice don't go cheap on the air ride unless you have alot of people that know what they are doing. my cruiser has been sitting on lifts now for over a month. waiting on the front air struts to get here. good luck
03, onyx 5 speed, custom interior, 14 tv\'s, ps2, , custom stereo, hood, bruiser front, sides, roll pan, custom exhaust,20 inch rims, air ride system, 4 12inch subs in a molded in a box, member of del val and GROUNDED 4 LIFE. vertical doors, big ass ragtop roof, 10.5 inch screen in steering wheel, move window switches to glove box, glassed a tv where the switches were, smoothed dash and painted, led tailights, tv;s in quater panel windows

FRESH TWO TONE GREEN AND SILVER , SHAVED TAILIGHTS WITH LEDS IN THE ROLL PAN...
Old 07 May 2004, 11:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hey RallyDRock, I have had no problems with my air bags. And it can handle storage very well also. I just got back from Iraq three weeks ago . My car sat in a UHaul storage from 28 March 2003 to 17 April 2004. I put a quart of oil in and hooked up the negative terminal back to the battery. The air pump started filling the tank and within 4 minutes it was full. And with one crank my car started. I lifted the car with the bags and there were zero problems. No mind you the car was in storage in Killeen Texas where the temps get over 110 degrees and the winter as cold as 20 degrees. This should say something about Air Bags durability.