PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I replaced the lower control arm but still hear a noise - should I be concerned?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2015, 11:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default I replaced the lower control arm but still hear a noise - should I be concerned?

Hi there!

Well first of all, thank you very much for your help.

I replaced the passenger lower control arm about a month ago with a new one from Advanced Auto Parts. The ride is way better than before and I don't hear a clunking sound anymore, except sometimes when I make a wide left turn or when I accelerate quickly.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting a perfect fix because I didn't use the OEM parts. That little noise doesn't really bother me as long as it's a safe ride.

But my question is - should I be concerned by this little noise? I'm afraid that it may get worse in the future and eventually make it an unsafe ride. I think my mechanic did a great job, I told him about the noise and he told me that the parts may take a while to "adjust" but I still hear the noise.

And a second question if you don't mind - I can feel the car pulling toward the right (the side of the new control arm) which it didn't do before. Is this normal after replacing a control arm? I'll need to get an alignment for sure.

Thank You!!
Old 14 Apr 2015, 12:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: I replaced the lower control arm but still hear a noise - should I be concerned?

How many miles on the car?

You may need an alignment if the car is pulling to the right.

Make sure all the air pressure on your tires are correct, sometimes that can cause drifting if under inflated.

What condtion were your front sway bar cushions and the end links?

If worn they can cause noise.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 15 Apr 2015, 09:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: I replaced the lower control arm but still hear a noise - should I be concerned?

Hi!

I'll definitely take it for an alignment ASAP, thanks!

My car has 140K miles by the way.

Regarding the front sway bar cushions and end links' condition, I'm afraid I didn't ask my mechanic about these, but I suspect they were fine because otherwise he would have told me. But I will definitely ask him about these next time. Thank you!
Old 15 Apr 2015, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would not assume that the sway bar cushion and end link bushing were looked at. If they were not mentioned they may not have been considered during the inspection by the "mechanic"?

Any noise that is not normal should be a concern to investigate their origin.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Tags
alignment, control arm