PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tire Age

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2015, 10:06 am
Banned

Default Tire Age

I had to get some new tires for my PT. I would just to like to know what others think about tire age? I provided Goodyear with the serial numbers of the tires and I wantd them to tell me when they were manufactured. I know that rubber degrades over time and I wanted to know how long they may have been sitting in the individual shop or warehouse. They told me how to decode their serial numbers and the tires were manufactured: 48th week '14, 42nd week of '14, 14th week of '14, 2nd week of '14 being the oldest of the four. The one manufactured 2nd week of '14 is well over a year old, and the one made 14th week of '14 is right at a year old. These two oldest tires are just now being put into service. Am I worrying about nothing?
Old 22 Apr 2015, 10:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tire Age

DOT regulation that tires sold in the US must have the manufacture date on them. You can find the code on any tire and go to the manufacture to find the date.

I buy often for myself and other using the Tire Rack. I always state in the notes not to sell me tire with a date code older then 12 months. LOL I get responses more then half the time that state I need to wait a few weeks if I want my request until fresh stock is delivered to them.

I have seen at the "bargain" tire centers selling name brand tires for cheap with manufactured date codes 2 years or older.

Naturally I always get told that this not effect the working tire life? But then how come places like Tire Rack return exchange tires with old manufactured dates that then get brokered to the "bargain" tire centers.

Tires and batteries are 2 items I personally shop for dates as well who they are and the quality of the brand.
dougs and ptcruisersteve like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Apr 2015, 10:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I am shopping right now as I respond here for a set of tires on the Tire rack for our MINI.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Apr 2015, 12:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Service life of tires is promoted to be five years. This is from installation and service beginning.
I bought a t-bucket hot rod once with double stripe Firestone 500 on them out back. They were still looking good and untracked etc. I had a flat one that wasn't flat. I came out to go home after work and heard a hissing. One valve stem had given up the ghost. I got some wire from from under the seat and twisted it around the stem stopping the air loss. Then I noticed the tire had not even changed shape. It , and it's Buddy on the other side, was hard as a rock.
I replaced then that weekend with some nice ww radials which are still on the chassis in my garage and holding air for years. The VW tires I put on the front back then were a decade old on the shelf in the wArehouse when I bought them.
They are still on there holding air but cracked and peeling.
I've aired up tires on cars in junkyards or barns for decades, some held air for an hour others for days and weeks. Plenty of time to load them up and
tie them down on the trailer.
B
Replacing a year oof tire that isn't worn out by mechanical destruct like bad alignment or very high mileage seems crazy to me and believe it or not I am pretty picky about tires. You,lol never see me buying a Kumho again.
Old 23 Apr 2015, 02:22 pm
Banned

This is the reply I received from Goodyear on this issue:

"Thank you for contacting our web site and for your interest in tire safety.

The Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) represents the position that
there is not one specific chronological age at which tires should be
removed from service because there is no data that supports a specific age.

Age is not the key, consistent maintenance, proper inflation and regular
inspection for treadwear patterns and damage are the keys to good tire
performance.

While there is no data that demonstrates a tire is less safe when it
reaches a certain age, for consumers who are concerned about the age or
condition of their tires, it is recommended they let a tire professional
inspect their tires. For warranty purposes your tires are considered new at
the date of purchase, so we would advise keeping your invoice.

Barbara
Consumer Relations"
Old 23 Apr 2015, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On both of my PT Cruisers I had to replace all the tires at about 70,000 miles because they were rotting out. Still had 50% thread on them.
Old 23 Apr 2015, 02:53 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
On both of my PT Cruisers I had to replace all the tires at about 70,000 miles because they were rotting out. Still had 50% thread on them.
How old were the tires when you had to replace them?
Old 23 Apr 2015, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hmmm funny how "Barbara" tapped danced around a simple question? ROLMAO
rckstein likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Apr 2015, 04:50 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
hmmm funny how "Barbara" tapped danced around a simple question? ROLMAO
That's exactly what I thought. A typical corporate response without committing to anything.

The reason I am bringing up this issue is because I just had to replace the tires on my PT, again, due to tread wear and driveability issues. The tires had to be replaced long before they reached their mileage limit. The tires that wore out were the Goodyear ComforTred Touring which is rated for 80,000 miles. These tires were put on the vehicle on 10/05/12, had 34,747 miles on them, with 6/32 of tread left when they were replaced. But recently while driving, I was hydroplaining and did not have much road contact on wet pavement, to the point that I felt unsafe driving under those conditions. The reason I went back with the Goodyear tires is because they did an adjustment, so I paid about half price for a new set. But the manager at the Goodyear store where I got them also said that Goodyear won't due a future adjustment until the tires are down to 2/32 of remaining tread. I didn't do anything wrong, I don't race my PT but drive normally, I check the air pressure evey month and rotate every 5,000 miles. I don't know what more I'm supposed to do?
Old 23 Apr 2015, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On both PT Cruisers they were the original tires with 50% thread on them at 70,000 miles when I noticed they were rotting. Both PT Cruisers were manufactured in 2007 and I replaced all of them in 2014. I have no idea when the tires were manufactured but I would say that when the tires are 8 years old depending on where you live its considered a good time to replace the tires. I check the air in the tires every two weeks. I keep my tires on the same side rotating front to back and back to front.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 23 Apr 2015 at 07:54 pm.