PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Broken rear shock support

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2015, 08:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Broken rear shock support

The top of right rear shock absorber has detached from the car. The assembly has rusted and broke in half and the shock is free standing still attached at the bottom. For now, all I want to do is take off the shock. What tools do I need to remove the shock from the lower assembly? And I can't jack the car to remove the tire. Since the shock is not attached to the car anymore, the tire sits on the fog round and then the car rises away from the tire!
Could I go to a junk yard or do I need to get the part from a dealer?
The local auto parts store had nothing for the rear shock assembly( if that's right term).
Bouncy! Bouncy!

Thanks!
Old 26 Apr 2015, 08:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Broken rear shock support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogCT View Post
The top of right rear shock absorber has detached from the car. The assembly has rusted and broke in half and the shock is free standing still attached at the bottom. For now, all I want to do is take off the shock. What tools do I need to remove the shock from the lower assembly? And I can't jack the car to remove the tire. Since the shock is not attached to the car anymore, the tire sits on the fog round and then the car rises away from the tire!
Could I go to a junk yard or do I need to get the part from a dealer?
The local auto parts store had nothing for the rear shock assembly( if that's right term).
Bouncy! Bouncy!

Thanks!
Post a pic of the damaged end. No reason you can't jack the pt up.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Apr 2015, 08:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

You can see where shock attaches to the car and where it broke off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 26 Apr 2015, 10:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogCT View Post
You can see where shock attaches to the car and where it broke off
I would say your going to have to get that used. Look at the other side as well.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Apr 2015, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I can't get the rear tire off. Nuts are stripped. As a result no access to the bottom where the shock attaches to the car. Don't want to drive it with the top unattached to the car. It bounces all over the wheel well.
Old 26 Apr 2015, 01:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This thread makes me think of this article that was posted a couple years ago!!

__________________________________________________ _____________
[B]Can a Repair Shop Keep An Unsafe Car[/B]

Published on October 4, 2012 under Humble Mechanic
Today we are going to talk about a bit of a sensitive topic.

Should a repair shop be able to keep your car if it is unsafe?
Let me set the stage. A customer brings their car into the shop. The mechanic takes it on a short test drive, and finds the brakes barely work. After inspecting the car, the mechanic finds that the brakes are leaking fluid. This prevents the brakes from engaging. It is only a matter of a few miles before the car will loose all braking.

As you might guess, this is a very serious situation. I don’t think that I need to go into detail about how not having brakes is a bad thing. Not only does it endanger the driver, but all the other drivers on the road. Now the words that scare everyone come out of the customer’s mouth “I am not going to fix the car”.

Okay, we have established the fact the car is 100% unsafe. We also know that the customer is not fixing the car. What happens next?

The Shop Attempts to Keep The Car
What were to happen if a service station attempted to keep a car. I don’t think it would take very long for the situation to escalate. I am sure that law enforcement would get involved. Laws do very from state to state, but I could not find any state that said a service shop could keep a customer from there car. In fact I seemed to find the opposite. Shops can not get in the way of a customer taking their property. It is really that simple.

The Customer Takes The Unsafe Car
This is a very serious situation. Best case the customer gets the car home and parks it. Giving them time to get the car repaired. Worst case, the customer gets into an accident. You can fill in the blank on how bad that could be.

From a service department prospective, this is a HUGE liability. If that customer were to get into an accident, the blame would be immediately be focused on the service department. It would go something like,

I was just at the service place. They didn’t tell me that it was unsafe. I don’t know anything about cars. I trusted them to keep me safe.
The customer has a point. They do trust the service department to keep them safe. However, the customer the one that makes the choice to repair or not to repair.

In a perfect world, no cars would ever break. If they did break, everyone would have the time and money to fix them. So how does a shop handle a situation like this? If after informing a customer of the severity of the situation, they decline the repair. The shop will add a special note to the customers repair order stating the issue and the car in “UNSAFE”. Some refer to this as “red tagging”. The customer will then have to sign saying they understand.

What do you folks think? Should a shop be able to keep an unsafe car from leaving the lot? Or would shops use that as a “scare tactic” to strong arm customers in to paying for repairs? Post up your thoughts in the comments below. This is one that a strong case can be made on BOTH sides.

Can a Repair Shop Keep An Unsafe Car | Humble Mechanic

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Apr 2015, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I get your point, but I have gotten cars that have been nearly fixed to death by professional shops. So I say no to them being the safety police. In the states that have safety inspections. You shouldn't run into this that often. Still the texting and driving people are a larger threat by far. Just have you passenger cont on the freeway how many you come across. Scary.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Apr 2015, 02:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Danny we counted on any given day 1 out of 10 vehicles that pass us someone is either texting or outright holding the cell phone to their ear!!!
AT least once a week I am almost getting out of my car to have a conversation with someone at a stop light that creeps up on me while they are starting to text or talk on their cell phone?

IMO.....I say double the fines and start a nation wide and active citing of these "A wipes" who use a cell phone inappropriately while driving!!! Lots of State revenue could be made$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Apr 2015, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Danny we counted on any given day 1 out of 10 vehicles that pass us someone is either texting or outright holding the cell phone to their ear!!!
AT least once a week I am almost getting out of my car to have a conversation with someone at a stop light that creeps up on me while they are starting to text or talk on their cell phone?

IMO.....I say double the fines and start a nation wide and active citing of these "A wipes" who use a cell phone inappropriately while driving!!! Lots of State revenue could be made$$$$$$$$$$$$
Short of dialing. I'm not that concerned about the phone voice calls. Don't see the hands free devices any less distracting. That said. Texting drivers are just stupid. I have seen two motorcycles with the driver texting. Both hand. And of course we all know were their eyes are. On the screen. Plus we all see the officers with their phones to their ears going down the road. Texting just doesn't make sense.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Apr 2015, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I still see people reading books while driving.
Remember maps, the ones that never folded back the same way they were opened.
Busted_PT likes this.