PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
3 Wheel Bearings in the last 24 months. Any ideas?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 May 2015, 01:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 3 Passenger Side Wheel Bearings in the last 24 months. Any ideas?

I've replaced the passenger side front wheel bearing, 3 times, in the last 24 months. This last time, it was on approximately 2-3 months, before hearing worn bearing noise again. Two years ago, I mistakenly replaced the drivers side (was actually the passenger side worn, but kept the new), with no further issues. Each time, the new bearing has been pressed by either Pep Boys or another local shop. Also, I'm quite positive I'm putting plenty torque on the axle nut, once everything goes back together.

Any clues why I continue to replace the same bearing, over and over? Thanks!
Old 08 May 2015, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 3 Wheel Bearings in the last 24 months. Any ideas?

Hub bearing assembly, this is a part where you should shop for the brand of the bearing used in the assembly and not the name or origin of the manufactured part.

What brand did you use?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 May 2015, 02:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Hub bearing, this is a part where you should shop for the brand of bearing used in the assembly and not the name or origin of the manufactured part.
What brand did you use?
One, was purchased from eBay, the other two, were purchased from AutoZone. I also used either one purchased from eBay or AutoZone, on the drivers side that was also replaced, with zero issues. That was also replaced approximately 2 years ago.

Is it at all possible, that something else is causing the short life? I mean, 3 brand new bearings?

To clarify, I didn't replace the spindle or assembly, just the bearing.

Last edited by Nvizn; 08 May 2015 at 02:23 pm.
Old 08 May 2015, 02:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree with Nitro, the manufacture of the bearing is important. Nitro prefers SKF and I like Timken bearings. These happen to be the two most expensive bearings, but I think you get what you pay for.

Also, is the ground wire still connected from the strut to body? The lack of a proper ground can lead to premature wheel bearing failure.
Old 08 May 2015, 02:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvizn View Post
One, was purchased from eBay, the other two, were purchased from AutoZone. I also used either one purchased from eBay or AutoZone, on the drivers side that was also replaced, with zero issues. That was also replaced approximately 2 years ago.

Is it at all possible, that something else is causing the short life? I mean, 3 brand new bearings?

To clarify, I didn't replace the spindle or assembly, just the bearing.
I stuck auto zone hub assemblies in a Malibu and both bearings failed before the warranty was up. No possible error on my part, they're just junk.
Old 08 May 2015, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I did the rear bearing on my 2001 Limited with RAYBESTOS "Professional Grade" bearings. These seem to have very good ratings. You can get them at a good price at RockAuto. And they also have Timken for about the same price. Either of these should be fine.

Also, bearings can sometimes fail because they were not properly installed. Pushing on the inner race can damage them. And the rear bearings on the PT are not sealed. I packed mine with extra grease before installation. Another issue can be running in deep water. Water seems to get into both open and sealed bearings and can wash away and degrade the grease. Plus is causes corrosion. Back in the day, we used to pack wheel bearings with marine grade grease if they were going through deep mud and water on logging roads. This helps a little. But the life span of the bearings was still fairly short.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 May 2015 at 03:12 pm.
Old 08 May 2015, 03:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I agree with Nitro, the manufacture of the bearing is important. Nitro prefers SKF and I like Timken bearings. These happen to be the two most expensive bearings, but I think you get what you pay for.

Also, is the ground wire still connected from the strut to body? The lack of a proper ground can lead to premature wheel bearing failure.
No actually I like both. It depends on the application. If you follow all my responses I use both bearing choices.

Hey Mike did we get a brand name yet from the OP? I guess that important question that may help won't get answered?

Until you had mentioned the grounding lead at the hub I had long forgotten about that. I have read some resent information on it but never actually found pitting on the ball bearing or race that were not caused other then apparently expose to moisture. But who knows?

Rule of thumb if you only see 1 or two grounds add about 6 more. Why BECAUSE RACE CAR!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 May 2015 at 03:15 pm.
Old 08 May 2015, 03:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i never cared enough to replace the broken grounds and never had any issues with my bearings. i did notice every time i got out of the car i would get lightly shocked by static
Old 08 May 2015, 03:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i never cared enough to replace the broken grounds and never had any issues with my bearings. i did notice every time i got out of the car i would get lightly shocked by static
Your shocking personality presumably!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 May 2015, 03:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

The ground wire prevents those shockes from going through the the wheel bearing thus pitting the roller