Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'01 Rear Hubs: Need some tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 May 2015, 10:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Default '01 Rear Hubs: Need some tips

I am going to be replacing both rear hubs on my '01 N/A with rear disc brakes. I found the following instructions (below). Anybody have any pics, tips or anything to help to go along with the instructions below?

Instructions
  1. Raise and support the rear of the vehicle on jack stands. Remove the rear wheels using the ˝-inch air gun and a socket.

2. Remove the brake caliper by removing the two bolts holding the caliper to the mounting bracket using the 3/8-inch ratchet and a socket. Pull the rotor off the hub.

3. Remove the torque strut. This is the rod forward of the hub and is attached to the frame and the hub. Use the 3/8-inch ratchet and socket and remove the bolt at the hub. Remove the nut on the lower ball joint with a wrench.

4. Separate the hub from the lower control arm by inserting the ball joint and tie rod end remover tool between the hub and the lower control arm. Strike the tool with a hammer until the ball joint separates from the control arm.

5. Remove the two large bolts and nuts holding the strut to the hub assembly using the 3/8-inch ratchet and socket on one end and a wrench on the other. Take the hub assembly to a machine shop or other facility to have the bearing pressed out and in.

6. Replace parts in reverse order of removal.

CarDomain Page
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/392318...sport-wagon-4d
Old 21 May 2015, 05:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: '01 Rear Hubs: Need some tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcruiser View Post
I am going to be replacing both rear hubs on my '01 N/A with rear disc brakes. I found the following instructions (below). Anybody have any pics, tips or anything to help to go along with the instructions below?

Instructions
  1. Raise and support the rear of the vehicle on jack stands. Remove the rear wheels using the ˝-inch air gun and a socket.

2. Remove the brake caliper by removing the two bolts holding the caliper to the mounting bracket using the 3/8-inch ratchet and a socket. Pull the rotor off the hub.

3. Remove the torque strut. This is the rod forward of the hub and is attached to the frame and the hub. Use the 3/8-inch ratchet and socket and remove the bolt at the hub. Remove the nut on the lower ball joint with a wrench.

4. Separate the hub from the lower control arm by inserting the ball joint and tie rod end remover tool between the hub and the lower control arm. Strike the tool with a hammer until the ball joint separates from the control arm.

5. Remove the two large bolts and nuts holding the strut to the hub assembly using the 3/8-inch ratchet and socket on one end and a wrench on the other. Take the hub assembly to a machine shop or other facility to have the bearing pressed out and in.

6. Replace parts in reverse order of removal.
In your instructions, only the first 2 instructions pertain to the rear. Instructions 3-6 are actually referring to the front hubs.

I think Handy_Cruiser did a 'how to' on how to replace the rear hubs and bearings. It is actually 'stickied' and one of the first links on this forum. Anyway here is a link:

The Handy Rear Wheel Bearing Change Out

Last edited by myckee; 21 May 2015 at 05:32 pm.
Old 21 May 2015, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
In your instructions, only the first 2 instructions pertain to the rear. Instructions 3-6 are actually referring to the front hubs.

I think Handy_Cruiser did a 'how to' on how to replace the rear hubs and bearings. It is actually 'stickied' and one of the first links on this forum. Anyway here is a link:

Those instructions don't even make compleat sence. Just do like mychkee said. Sounds like you want to convert to disc brakes from drum brakes.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 May 2015, 08:47 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks guys for the help! I looked through The Handy Rear Wheel Bearing Change Out link provided and it looks look the rear hubs don't have to be pressed out and then pressed in like the fronts... they just slide right off the axle.

I found a youtube video (below) on how to replace the rear hub on a 2000 to 2005 Neon which I ASSUME is more or less the same principal.

Gonna pick up the new hubs and a 30mm" socket and swap 'em out. Looks pretty straight forward.

CarDomain Page

Last edited by pmcruiser; 22 May 2015 at 08:49 am.
Old 22 May 2015, 08:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcruiser View Post
Thanks guys for the help! I looked through The Handy Rear Wheel Bearing Change Out link provided and it looks look the rear hubs don't have to be pressed out and then pressed in like the fronts... they just slide right off the axle.

I found a youtube video (below) on how to replace the rear hub on a 2000 to 2005 Neon which I ASSUME is more or less the same principal.

Gonna pick up the new hubs and a 30mm" socket and swap 'em out. Looks pretty straight forward.

Neon is a compleatly different animal. That's why we didn't reconize the procedure. So you just want to replace the rear bearing hub and brake pads. Sounded like you were wanting a drum to disk conversion.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 May 2015, 09:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yeah. The rear hubs will just pull off by hand once the spindle nut is removed. No special tools or pullers are required:

And hey, consider going for rear disc breaks. Here's my thread on that:

The Handy Rear Disc Brake Upgrade

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 May 2015 at 09:21 am.
Old 22 May 2015, 09:26 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Neon is a compleatly different animal. That's why we didn't reconize the procedure. So you just want to replace the rear bearing hub and brake pads. Sounded like you were wanting a drum to disk conversion.
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I just want to replace the rear bearing hubs. No disc brake conversion, I already have rear disc brakes.

The link was very helpful. Says there is a 30mm nut on each side to remove the rear hubs. Can't get more simpler than that (thank goodness).

Thanks everybody and especially Handy_Cruiser for the great write up!

CarDomain Page
Old 22 May 2015, 09:29 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yeah. The rear hubs will just pull off by hand once the spindle nut is removed. No special tools or pullers are required:

And hey, consider going for rear disc breaks. Here's my thread on that:

The Handy Rear Disc Brake Upgrade
That's awesome news! Thanks again for the awesome write up! Oh and somehow I messed this thread up... I have rear disc brakes already lol

Cheers guys!

CarDomain Page
Old 22 May 2015, 12:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Crap! Went to order and see that they come with either Slotted Type Tone Ring or with Gear Type Tone Ring.

Anybody know which ones I need for Rear Disc brakes WITH Anti-Lock?????

CarDomain Page
Old 22 May 2015, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Should be gear type. It should specify for antilock brake on the one you need.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com