Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 route 66 wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2015, 02:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2006 route 66 wheels

I have a 2006 route 66 edition with chrome rims,, oem 2251U85.
It would seem that even though it only has 40k miles on it, the chrome wheels are not sealing properly with the tires. A tire repair technician basically with sand off the part of the wheel with any corrosion and remount the tire. However, this remains only a somewhat temporary fix. A brand new oem wheel is around $500 and anything else is around $350 or higher. Those that might have experience with the chrome wheels might offer me a suggestion or two.
Old 27 May 2015, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 route 66 wheels

this is common on the chrome wheels my only sugestioion is to go to like Tire rack maybe Big o and find you some wheels you relaly like they wont be cheap but they will not leak

the other option is to sand off the corrision an use a bead sealer on the tire bead that seems to work best for the longets time
Old 27 May 2015, 02:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I don't have your wheels...but I did have spoke wheels on a '65 Beetle that leaked...I solved my problem buy using inner tubes.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 27 May 2015, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's a "hillbilly" way I know to fix this.

Just lather up the tire beads with silicone Form-a-Gasket glue. Put it on really thick and even and then give it a little while to start setting up. But not to much. Sometimes this will seal the beads. I've done this several times. But success varies. And usually it was on off road vehicles where it didn't matter so much if the tires later went flat. But it might get you by until you get some different rims.
Old 28 May 2015, 12:58 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Chrysler seems to have had problems with many of the plated wheels used on Cruisers. Many threads on this forum concern porous wheels, leaky wheels, corroded wheels, etc. there once was some green goop that a guy could buy at tire stores that when painted on the inside of the rim (the part under the tire) would do a nice job of sealing the air in. Don't recall the products name but it came from the makers on some wheels back when.
You would think that a wheel maker in this day and age would know something about wheel porosity which is, as I understand it, simply a matter of using the correct aluminum alloy to cast the wheels in the first place. What a world we live in!
Old 28 May 2015, 07:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
Chrysler seems to have had problems with many of the plated wheels used on Cruisers. Many threads on this forum concern porous wheels, leaky wheels, corroded wheels, etc. there once was some green goop that a guy could buy at tire stores that when painted on the inside of the rim (the part under the tire) would do a nice job of sealing the air in. Don't recall the products name but it came from the makers on some wheels back when.
You would think that a wheel maker in this day and age would know something about wheel porosity which is, as I understand it, simply a matter of using the correct aluminum alloy to cast the wheels in the first place. What a world we live in!
They make a black goop as you call it that walmart (for one) uses to seal tires. They told me it was bead seal. That's all the info I have on that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 May 2015, 10:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Bead seal is what it si called and you can get it at Orileys
Old 28 May 2015, 10:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote: