PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 Factory Emergency Brake is... well poor at best

View Poll Results: Have you had problems with your emergency brake?
Constantly 2 22.22%
Occasionally 0 0%
Once or twice 0 0%
Never 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2015, 06:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 01 Factory Emergency Brake is... well poor at best

I have an 01 touring edition manual transmission with 196K miles on it. The emergency brake system has been a pain in my side since only a few years after I got the car. It's the only thing that truly annoyed me and frustrated me about the car for years on end. I'm ready to toss it. I now live in a house with at least a 30 degree incline driveway and in first gear with the brake on butt end downhill it is hard to hold the car in place. All new cables and hardware from my mechanic and it's still bad. Any good advice is welcome. Are they that poorly designed that I have to take it back to a dealer? (and there is not one close to me anymore)
Old 13 Jun 2015, 07:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 01 Factory Emergency Brake is... well poor at best

Mine won't spin me out around curves, but it always held there car fine.

I don't understand what you think the dealer if going to do besides replace parts and charge you for it. You have a 15
Year old car with 200k miles worth $500

Me personally, id take the console off and make sure the 2 cables were being pulled equally to verify it's adjusted right. After that i would try a rear shoe that had a more aggressive compound on a freshly machined drum.
Old 13 Jun 2015, 07:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
Mine won't spin me out around curves, but it always held there car fine.

I don't understand what you think the dealer if going to do besides replace parts and charge you for it. You have a 15
Year old car with 200k miles worth $500

Me personally, id take the console off and make sure the 2 cables were being pulled equally to verify it's adjusted right. After that i would try a rear shoe that had a more aggressive compound on a freshly machined drum.
I would make sure the shoes on the rear are adjusted properly. then the cable. Not sure why your mechanic can't figure out such a simple thing as this> It's just like any other basic emergency brake system. It's not rocket science. Find you a better shop. That doesn't necessarily mean a dealer.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Jun 2015, 09:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

how high does the lever come up when you pull it? if it's more than half way, you can tighten the shoes up a bit. it's supposed to tighten when you drive in reverse and step on the brake. you can try doing that 15-20x in a row and see if the handle engages lower. if it doesn't work better then you need to adjust them manually. i'd ask the mechanic that did the cables to tighten the adjusters a bit. 30 is pretty steep.

i'm assuming you actually did the brakes with good parts though, not just paid to have someone throw cables on worn out junk.

keep in mind if you over adjust the backs they'll lock up when you hit the brakes. a shop did that to my mothers truck. it was kinda funny as she was crabby that day and every time she touched the brake pedal the rear tires would lock up/screech...which didn't help her mood any but it made me giggle

Tags
emergency brake factory