Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Seeking Help W/ Diagnosing Rear Brake Noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2015, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Seeking Help W/ Diagnosing Rear Brake Noise

So I had my front brakes down about 5k miles ago. Had to get them done twice thanks to a bad rotor the first go around..That said, I only commute about literally 5miles to work each day, so its hard to gauge issues as they arise. Lately I've noticed that when I brake HARD i can hear what "sounds" like my rear rotor spinning? Its definitely a circular sound dependent upon my speed, and only occurs when I apply significant brake pressure, so I'm assuming my rear brakes/rotors are bad? I brought it up at work and everyone told me to look into the wheel bearings, but pretty sure it has to be the rotor at this point?

Fairly uneducated with vehicles so seeking some insight before I go tear the wheel off and what I should be looking for/expecting.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 13 Jun 2015, 10:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Seeking Help W/ Diagnosing Rear Brake Noise

I would suggest you check your rear brake pads or rotors being warped. If the brake pads are worn out you would hear a metal to metal rubbing with the rotor contacting the metal of the pad. You need to check this immediately or you could possibly be damaging more than just the rotors.
Old 13 Jun 2015, 11:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Seeking Help W/ Diagnosing Rear Brake Noise

Also check/eliminate your emergency/hand brake as the problem.
I have had that problem in 2 of my 5 Cruisers.
It is on the driver's side rear.
You may be able to make that go away, by doing the DIY adjustment.
(Travel about 10 mph; apply the hand brake until stopped; repeat this twice.)
If this makes things change, even a oscillating rub-rub-rub at every wheel rotation, it is you emeregency brake.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 14 Jun 2015, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The shoes for the hand brake are inside the rotor hat. Requiring you to remove the rotor to get to them. But it sounds like a pad cutting the rotor to me. Inspection is the way to go to determin what is bad and not.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jun 2015, 12:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I didn't even think about the E-brake--which is definitely bad because when its on and I get outta the car I can hear the death noise of it(live on a hill). I was assuming it was the rear pads but stupid question, could this be causing an issue when braking not in reverse, wouldn't that come from the front pads not rear?

Which is where my concern is because i JUST did the front brakes/rotors like 6months ago and put maybe 1,000 miles on the car since then.

There is no metal grinding, it simply is an oscillating sounding noise dependent upon heavy braking, and from going to work today and back again, it only happens once it is heated up it seems.

I will have to take it to Midas or something as I don't have the time but wanted to be aware before i get possibly scammed.

As far as I know, the E-brake was never changed and the car has 126k miles.

Thanks~
Old 14 Jun 2015, 04:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiblition View Post
I didn't even think about the E-brake--which is definitely bad because when its on and I get outta the car I can hear the death noise of it(live on a hill). I was assuming it was the rear pads but stupid question, could this be causing an issue when braking not in reverse, wouldn't that come from the front pads not rear?

Which is where my concern is because i JUST did the front brakes/rotors like 6months ago and put maybe 1,000 miles on the car since then.

There is no metal grinding, it simply is an oscillating sounding noise dependent upon heavy braking, and from going to work today and back again, it only happens once it is heated up it seems.

I will have to take it to Midas or something as I don't have the time but wanted to be aware before i get possibly scammed.

As far as I know, the E-brake was never changed and the car has 126k miles.

Thanks~
Can't say I would go to midas. Not seen may good responses about those kind of places.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jun 2015, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiblition View Post
Lately I've noticed that when I brake HARD i can hear what "sounds" like my rear rotor spinning? Its definitely a circular sound dependent upon my speed, and only occurs when I apply significant brake pressure, so I'm assuming my rear brakes/rotors are bad? I brought it up at work and everyone told me to look into the wheel bearings, but pretty sure it has to be the rotor at this point? .
You will need to determine where the noise is coming from.

Tags
brakes, rotor