Advertisements
Lateral Link end going into the Bell Crank

Like Tree5Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2015, 10:48 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Lateral Link end going into the Bell Crank

Can a moderator move this post to the suspension group for me? Sorry...I posted this in the wrong group.

Hi, guys. I've got a 2002 PT Touring Edition with 156,000 miles on it. I had the Bell crank (what some refer to as the Watts link) replaced last year. In looking around underneath the car while I was having the original muffler replaced this week, I got to looking at the ends of the lateral links that attach to the bell crank, and noticed that the rubber bushings looked pretty deteriorated. I've searched online and can't find the bushings by themselves and even called a Chrysler dealer and spoke to the parts department. They don't list them as separate items. You have to buy either the whole complete lateral link assembly or the replacement end.

In looking at the ends, they look an awful lot like outer tie-rod ends. Is there any chance that they might be interchangeable with outer tie-rod ends? Maybe some of the more knowledgeable and experienced members might know the answer to this question. I was just curious, and not looking forward to buying two complete lateral link assemblies at $60-some dollars each.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by sscanlan; 20 Jun 2015 at 12:38 pm. Reason: Posted in wrong group
Old 20 Jun 2015, 01:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Lateral Link end going into the Bell Crank

The Watts Link is the complete assembly

The Bell Crank is a component of the assembly.

The part you are asking about is called the upper link and lower link,
which are the other components of the Watts link assembly.

The bushings are OE none serviceable. You may be able to find aftermarket replacements by sizing them?

I would not recommend anything except a complete upper or lower OE or aftermarket OE designed link replacement.

The design is poorly engineered and unless you upgrade a few aspect of the assembly itself you may get more trouble then a simple OE direct part replacement.

There are tie-rods (LH&RH thread) that you could replace the ends with but unless you know how to align the Watts link assembly after this method of saving a few dollars the cost savings vs possibly creating problems with a mis-aligned rear suspension is not worth it.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Jun 2015 at 01:11 pm.
Old 20 Jun 2015, 03:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can get the two lateral links cheaper online. The rubber bushings are replaceable and easy to get. But while the link ball joints on the other ends appears to be separate items, almost all sources only offer them with an entire lateral link. The ball joints are crimped to the links so they don't turn and there no adjustment except for a slotted hole where the right link mounted to the chassis. The Moog parts numbers for the two complete links for 2001 thru 2008 PT's are:

Moog CK620665
Moog CK620666

You can get them on eBay and Amazon for $45 each with free shipping. And there are cheaper ones in other brands. RockAuto likely has good prices too.

Lately, I've been getting a lot of stuff from Advance Auto online. If you search out the online discount codes, you can often get up to 40% off and free shipping over $75. When I can get that deal, it often makes Advance the cheapest of any online source I've found.
Old 20 Jun 2015, 04:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Todd I really wish you would only post on things that you have done instead of this constant posting about things you have NOT done yourself!! When have you ever replaced the link arm bushings on the watts link assembly on a PT Cruiser?

Do you realize that there is not even a Factory or aftermarket guide or instruction on how to replace the OE none serviceable bushings on the watts link assembly. I know you have that new press and YES you could and they could be replaced but as they say ....first you learn then you teach.

N

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Jun 2015 at 05:17 pm.
Old 20 Jun 2015, 05:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

I replaced the rubber bushings with poly in my lateral links. Energy Suspension has them...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 20 Jun 2015, 06:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
I replaced the rubber bushings with poly in my lateral links. **Energy Suspension has them...
Yes and these ... REAR WATTS LINK BUSHINGS
*Part Number: 5.8106

These are listed for a PT Cruiser but are also a universal bushing size. The master kit as well this kit only instruction is a simple remove old bushing replace with energy suspension bushing. I have *these in a master kit.

The problem is without structurally reinforcing the rear end axles forward arms going with harder bushing only serves as "bling". The wear point on the rear suspension is the bell crank.

**There are 2 companies that use this name only one is TM as the original manufacture of bushings the other is an independent dealer of many products.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Jun 2015, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

LOL I can't find the kit (black) right now to show the instructions and the bushings Too much stuff in the garage anymore I am lost track of things. but I won't be using them anyway , so I am sure they will go on the growing pile of things I will be giving to others.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Jun 2015, 06:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I suddenly realized that if I did not post a couple pictures there may be some credibility questions about my responses?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Jun 2015, 06:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
You can get the two lateral links cheaper online. The rubber bushings are replaceable and easy to get.
I am not the best at having the patients to look for things on the internet but would you care to post a set you found?

Maybe you meant to say "The rubber bushings are replaceable with aftermarket polyurethane bushings and easy to get.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Jun 2015, 07:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post

By the way, your picture is of bushings for the rear end links..for the rear swaybar.

You guys got personal while on a tangent about a part that I believe was the wrong end of what they wanted.
To the OP you can get various replacement boots for the tie rod end of the lateral link.
Tie Rod End Rubber Dust Boot Pair Jeep Chrys DeSoto Dodge Plym Chevy | eBay

myckhee you might want to do your home work before you slam someone on a thread you were not participating on and then got your facts wrong. Just a thought.
Energy Suspension 5.18108 - HyperFlex Master Kit Chrysler PT Cruiser. Energy Suspension ENE-5.18108G

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Jun 2015 at 11:32 am. Reason: clean up
Closed Thread