PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Opinions/Experiences?...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2015, 05:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Opinions/Experiences?...

Energy Suspension 5.18108 - HyperFlex Master Kit Chrysler PT Cruiser. Energy Suspension ENE-5.18108G

'03 Dream Cruiser Series 2, ATX, Bought Oct. '14 w/103,000 miles.

Added: Smoked Tail/Reverse lights, LED reverse bulbs, Black-Bezel headlights w/clear Lamin-x, 6000k HIDs, New fog lights with yellow Lamin-x, LED DRL strips, Chrome antenna bezel, Mopar mud flaps "PT Cruiser" painted tangerine, Chrome Mopar "PT Cruiser" front sill plates ($15!), Low profile wiper blades, Large winged hood badge, 3 hole washer nozzles, Small winged badges on fenders under "Cruiser", Front windows tinted to match rears, '01 folding side mirrors (still need to wire for heat), Cross-drilled rotors w/Hawk performance pads, Replaced steel spare w/aluminum, '01 rear sway bar, K&N CAI, Mopar sub, Cargo net, Inner front seat/glove box trim, Mopar all-weather mats, LED interior lighting, Driver seat drawer, Interior mat set for cup holders, etc., Brand new/never opened Mopar "PT Cruiser" roof rack ($75!), Glow-in-the-dark key fob, RB1 Nav radio, Mopar iPod integration...More to come.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 07:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Opinions/Experiences?...

They are said to be firmer. But you need to be sure to lube these to prevent squeaks.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Jun 2015, 08:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My experience with these is limited and piece-meal. I've used them off and on since they been available to replace worn bushings and to "fabricate" or modify other things. I used them basically because they were available off the shelf at local parts stores.

Piece by piece, I've never noticed much difference from the stock rubber pieces. Most OEM rubber bushings and such are often made of butyl rubber infused with carbon black and surfer to adjust hardness and elasticity. Material science is one of my specialties at my day job and I deal with this often with protective equipment and on production machinery.

Most of these "Energy" bushing sets are primarily made of polyurethane. And just like butyl rubber, the hardness and elasticity can be adjusted by adding other materials. Once polyurethane was more expensive than the standard black rubbers, but now it's as cheap or cheaper. So what was once a premium produce is now very common. If you read the available specifications on these or listen to some of the seasoned motorheads, Like NitroPT and others, that have used them extensively, you come away with the idea that they are mostly designed to "stiffen" the suspension for performance handling. And thus, may result in a stiffer less smooth ride.

Also, it's important to lubricate them as mentions above by Busted_PT. The Prothane brand of these comes with some very good and sticky grease. And you will need to use it. Otherwise, they have a tendency to squeak. Ironically, some of the OEM bushings used on Chrysler products in the era of the PT also tend to squeak when worn and might benefit from the Prothane grease.

In summary, these polyurethane bushings are cheaper and easier to get than the originals. They may stiffen the ride to some degree. I have not experienced the stiffening myself using just individual pieces. But both literature and experienced users indicate this is the case. And these bushings will need to be properly lubricated not to squeak.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Jun 2015 at 01:18 pm.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 10:24 am
Senior Cruiser

I installed that entire kit in my car, can't say for sure if it changed the handling or not, but the suspension is defiantly tighter. Alot of that is probably due to replacing worn bushings with new ones.
I got extra lube and used it very liberally and have zero squeaks from the suspension.
Energy Suspension states that most of the black poly parts they make have graphite in them to help prevent squeaks and the red poly does not.
Handy_Cruiser and myckee like this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 21 Jun 2015, 09:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks you three!!!

Added: Smoked Tail/Reverse lights, LED reverse bulbs, Black-Bezel headlights w/clear Lamin-x, 6000k HIDs, New fog lights with yellow Lamin-x, LED DRL strips, Chrome antenna bezel, Mopar mud flaps "PT Cruiser" painted tangerine, Chrome Mopar "PT Cruiser" front sill plates ($15!), Low profile wiper blades, Large winged hood badge, 3 hole washer nozzles, Small winged badges on fenders under "Cruiser", Front windows tinted to match rears, '01 folding side mirrors (still need to wire for heat), Cross-drilled rotors w/Hawk performance pads, Replaced steel spare w/aluminum, '01 rear sway bar, K&N CAI, Mopar sub, Cargo net, Inner front seat/glove box trim, Mopar all-weather mats, LED interior lighting, Driver seat drawer, Interior mat set for cup holders, etc., Brand new/never opened Mopar "PT Cruiser" roof rack ($75!), Glow-in-the-dark key fob, RB1 Nav radio, Mopar iPod integration...More to come.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 09:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It appears that there is a reading curve here as the question was who used the specific kit listed?

Only one member has posted using the complete kit.

So seems it already is off the original question....

The kit has many draw backs and will if entirely used give the driver a false impression of total improved handling which unless all other suspension components are carefully chosen to actually improve a specific driving style the PT Cruiser will actually handle worse as driving speeds increase in situation of changing turns and steering compensations.

Most more experienced users of polyurethane components will carefully choose and in many cases *special order bushings with a different hardness then the standard available more universal options.

A PT Cruiser is really to off the normal upgrades for packaged handling item and a more precise and thought of upgrade needs to be done to improve the handling for road track street driving experience.

One day at a Road Track with a PT Cruiser will have you kissing the ground by the end of the day.

In all cases if you already do not like the rough idle and semi buck board ride of a stock Cruiser I would not recommend the use of polyurethane bushing.

I recommend to call ENERGY suspension and talk to them about what the complete kit will do for a PT Cruiser. If you do try to be honest with yourself and them what your intended goal and aspirations in achieving a better handling PT Cruiser using only their bushings.

Most that get these kits if they are honest don't like them. LOL I have even seen on PT Crew someone post the installation of components of polyurethane and then months later you see a casual mention of that same part up for sale . LOL

Places that these are good for on a street car:

sway bar components
coil spring cushions
As a better alternative then the window seal in the motor mounts.
Any and all shock bushing

That's it! IMHO!

There are lots of uses for *polyurethane bushings for a 50% vehicle but then I don't think anyone is currently doing that with a PT. At least not this normally posting group!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Jun 2015 at 10:06 pm. Reason: correction made carefully, time noted
Old 23 Jun 2015, 10:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It appears that there is a reading curve here as the question was who used the specific kit listed?

Only one member has posted using the complete kit.

So seems it already is off the original question....

The kit has many draw backs and will if entirely used give the driver a false impression of total improved handling which unless all other suspension components are carefully chosen to actually improve a specific driving style the PT Cruiser will actually handle worse as driving speeds increase in situation of changing turns and steering compensations.

Most more experienced users of polyurethane components will carefully choose and in many cases *special order bushings with a different hardness then the standard available more universal options.

A PT Cruiser is really to off the normal upgrades for packaged handling item and a more precise and thought of upgrade needs to be done to improve the handling for road track street driving experience.

One day at a Road Track with a PT Cruiser will have you kissing the ground by the end of the day.

In all cases if you already do not like the rough idle and semi buck board ride of a stock Cruiser I would not recommend the use of polyurethane bushing.

I recommend to call ENERGY suspension and talk to them about what the complete kit will do for a PT Cruiser. If you do try to be honest with yourself and them what your intended goal and aspirations in achieving a better handling PT Cruiser using only their bushings.

Most that get these kits if they are honest don't like them. LOL I have even seen on PT Crew someone post the installation of components of polyurethane and then months later you see a casual mention of that same part up for sale . LOL

Places that these are good for on a street car:

sway bar components
coil spring cushions
As a better alternative then the window seal in the motor mounts.
Any and all shock bushing

That's it! IMHO!

There are lots of uses for *polyurethane bushings for a 50% vehicle but then I don't think anyone is currently doing that with a PT. At least not this normally posting group!

Cool, thank you. My plan was to buy the full kit and start with certain components and play with it as I go along. Figured I could just buy the whole kit, I found it for even less than the listing I posted here...less than $110. So why not get them all and play with them until I find what I like? I do not mind a harsher ride, I want that actually. I have a number of poly bushings on my 300M Special and I loved what they did for the ride and increasing the feel I get from the car. I want that same thing here. So if this is a trusted company with good product, I will probably buy the kit and start experimenting!
rcktpwrd and NitroPT like this.

Old 23 Jun 2015, 10:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you want to increase the handling think front and rear sway bars and a 4 wheel alignment! Tie it together with a carefully chosen set of tires.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Jun 2015, 10:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
If you want to increase the handling think front and rear sway bars and a 4 wheel alignment! Tie it together with a carefully chosen set of tires.
Yup, thinking that too, but want the look of lowering as well. And if I am lowering, I wanna do some of these bushings at the same time.

Old 24 Jun 2015, 12:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well I guess we will see you posting some changes next year after a summer driving around your PT.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN