Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
OVERSIZE TIRES FOR 16" WHEELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 May 2004, 12:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default OVERSIZE TIRES FOR 16" WHEELS

OK, not new issue but need current thinking. I have the stock 205/55/16 combo. Some owners suggest larger combo, 220/50/16.
Sears tech advised that they would not install a tire larger than recommended by MOPAR. Will larger combo affect safety, speedo reading or shift points?
Old 12 May 2004, 01:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mike,

What your trying to do WILL affect the speedometer. Your thinking of going to a 50 ratio sidewall and that will make the overall tire diamiter smaller. If you just want to get a larger looking tire go for a 215/220 width but stay with the 55/16 ratio. Only when you change to 17 inch wheels do you want the 50/17 size....IF you want to keep the speedometer/odometer acurate.

Unless of course your looking for that lowrider look...

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 12 May 2004, 02:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Mike,

What your trying to do WILL affect the speedometer. Your thinking of going to a 50 ratio sidewall and that will make the overall tire diamiter smaller. If you just want to get a larger looking tire go for a 215/220 width but stay with the 55/16 ratio. Only when you change to 17 inch wheels do you want the 50/17 size....IF you want to keep the speedometer/odometer acurate.
Disagree. Go to a bigger tire (first #) on same rim, and you have to lower aspect ratio to get same circumference. To go from 155 80 to 175 70 on same wheels is okay (plus 1).
Here's a place to plug in numbers:
http://www.350zx.com/tire-wheel.html

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 May 2004, 02:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[quote]quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Quote:
Disagree. Go to a bigger tire (first #) on same rim, and you have to lower aspect ratio to get same circumference.
Don, I think this is the first time we disagreed. The first number on the tire only shows how WIDE the tire is in MM. Just going to a wider tire, or narrower tire for that matter, won't do anything for the aspect ratio.

-------------Direct from Tire Rack Site --------------------

The first number is the width of the tire in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall. To convert to inches, divide by 25.4 In the example above, the width is 185mm or 7.28".

The second number is the aspect ratio. This is a ratio of sidewall height to width. In the example above, the tire is 7.28" wide, multiply that by the aspect ratio to find the height of one sidewall. In this case, 185x0.60=111mm or 7.28"x0.60=4.36".

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 12 May 2004, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[quote]quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Quote:

Don, I think this is the first time we disagreed. The first number on the tire only shows how WIDE the tire is in MM. Just going to a wider tire, or narrower tire for that matter, won't do anything for the aspect ratio.

-------------Direct from Tire Rack Site --------------------

The first number is the width of the tire in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall. To convert to inches, divide by 25.4 In the example above, the width is 185mm or 7.28".

The second number is the aspect ratio. This is a ratio of sidewall height to width. In the example above, the tire is 7.28" wide, multiply that by the aspect ratio to find the height of one sidewall. In this case, 185x0.60=111mm or 7.28"x0.60=4.36".
We agree on the definition of terms. If you keep the same tire diameter (16") AND aspect ratio, but increase width, you will increase the sidewall height. Plug #s in and see. The aspect ratio is ratio of sidewall height to width, increase width, and you increase height, unless you lower aspect ratio.
Old 12 May 2004, 03:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don,

Sorta agree..BUT, increasing width by 10-20 mm (ex: 205 to 215)will not change the aspect ratio enough to affect the speedometer or odometer. I've always went to a wider width tire whenever my OEM tires wore out and even had the Corvette calibrated after going wider and it was spot on. Now if you drastically go to a Micky Thomson wide slick tire for racing (if it will fit on the rim)then I totally agree that the aspect will change. Mike only wants to go 20MM wider yet he was planning on going to 50 series aspect and all the PLUS ONE theries say you don't have to go to 50 unless you go to 17 inch wheels or at least 225/50/16 tires. [^]
Old 12 May 2004, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Don,

Sorta agree..BUT, increasing width by 10-20 mm (ex: 205 to 215)will not change the aspect ratio enough to affect the speedometer or odometer. I've always went to a wider width tire whenever my OEM tires wore out and even had the Corvette calibrated after going wider and it was spot on. Now if you drastically go to a Micky Thomson wide slick tire for racing (if it will fit on the rim)then I totally agree that the aspect will change. Mike only wants to go 20MM wider yet he was planning on going to 50 series aspect and all the PLUS ONE theries say you don't have to go to 50 unless you go to 17 inch wheels or at least 225/50/16 tires. [^]
I just am certain that I went from 155 80 to 175 70 on same wheels and that was what was recommended - it was years ago, but the rules are the same. The link above has the calculator in it and can give speedo error.
Old 12 May 2004, 04:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK...lets agree to disagee. Here's the page from the optional tire sizes from Tire Rack. They don't recommend going to a 50 series aspect ratio until you get up to 225/50/16. Anything below that is 205-220/55/16 [8D]

---------------------------------

Optional 16" Sizes for 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Description Size

Original Equipment Optional 205/55-16

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Optional 16" 225/50-16

Front Optional 16" 225/50-16

Rear Optional 16" 245/45-16

Old 12 May 2004, 06:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hmmm, what was the question again? [8]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 12 May 2004, 07:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OurPTGT

Hmmm, what was the question again? [8]
Kevin,

Don and I are good friends although we've never met in person. We have agreed in dozens of posts on numerous topics on a few different forums and this is the first time we have had a difference of opinion. I'm sure he doesn't take it personally and I'm getting a good laugh out of it. The only problem is that ClevelandMike doesn't know who to believe and doesn't have a clear cut answer.