PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Brakes Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jun 2015, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear Brakes Issue

Hello, name's Damien. New to the forum.
I have a 2004 PT Cruiser Touring Edition, 2.4L Turbo 124000km from a chrysler used car lot.

*Car has Drums*

Lately, everytime I start the car and take off, there is a god awful squealing noise coming from the back when I brake, BUT only for the first few brake applications. Once I leave the parking lot and hit the first two stop signs within 40ft of my house the brakes are silent the entire time I use the car. I bring it home and it sits for maybe 6 hours and when I take off, the squealing comes back, but only for that short distance. Only other thing I've noticed is when I come to a complete stop after driving for a while, there is a very very soft grinding noise with a metallic tinging noise(almost like a spring) right before the car stops . I'm pretty knowledgeable with cars but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue because I'm stumped. However,
-The rear shoes are brand new( Everything was installed by the dealer when I bought it)
-I have no decrease in braking power at any time

I took off the drums to investigate, and the only thing that didn't seem right was despite the rear brakes being disengaged, I literally had to pry the drums off with a screwdriver. Almost as if they were partly or fully engaged.

Could there maybe be a cylinder going, causing the shoes to be partly expanded enough they rub on the drum? or something worse.

Any help would be appreciated, The car runs and performs well, its just annoying having the whole neighborhood watching me pull out

thanks
Damien
Old 24 Jun 2015, 03:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Brakes Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodesty View Post
Hello, name's Damien. New to the forum.
I have a 2004 PT Cruiser Touring Edition, 2.4L Turbo 124000km from a chrysler used car lot.

*Car has Drums*

Lately, everytime I start the car and take off, there is a god awful squealing noise coming from the back when I brake, BUT only for the first few brake applications. Once I leave the parking lot and hit the first two stop signs within 40ft of my house the brakes are silent the entire time I use the car. I bring it home and it sits for maybe 6 hours and when I take off, the squealing comes back, but only for that short distance. Only other thing I've noticed is when I come to a complete stop after driving for a while, there is a very very soft grinding noise with a metallic tinging noise(almost like a spring) right before the car stops . I'm pretty knowledgeable with cars but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue because I'm stumped. However,
-The rear shoes are brand new( Everything was installed by the dealer when I bought it)
-I have no decrease in braking power at any time

I took off the drums to investigate, and the only thing that didn't seem right was despite the rear brakes being disengaged, I literally had to pry the drums off with a screwdriver. Almost as if they were partly or fully engaged.

Could there maybe be a cylinder going, causing the shoes to be partly expanded enough they rub on the drum? or something worse.

Any help would be appreciated, The car runs and performs well, its just annoying having the whole neighborhood watching me pull out

thanks
Damien

If the brakes are adjusted properly they shouldn't just slid off...but don't just pry them off either, use the adjuster in the back to loosen the brake shoes.

Besides taking the car back to have the brakes checked...put the car in reverse & stomp the brakes about a dozen times...this should reset the adjusters. It might or might not work, but it's worth a try.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 24 Jun 2015, 04:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Brakes Issue

when the brake shoes were replaced did they resurface or replace the drums as well?

I would bring it back and let the dealer have a look if it's still under warranty...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com