PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Mysterious Back Wheel Noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2015, 05:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Mysterious Back Wheel Noise

Hey guys,

So I recently had rear pads and rotors replaced due to a oscillating pretty typical 'bad rotor' sound. The rotors needed to be replaced from groove wear(used PT doesn't look like they were ever done), so I went ahead with it. Sound went away for a month, everything was fine.

This 'bad rotor' rotating sound has now come back now,but the pads and rotors still look brand spanking new. No brake issues, no pull in the wheel. Went ahead and replaced the stock calipers as a precaution for maybe a sticking that wasn't noticeable. Sound persists~!

Any suggestions on what I could check? It seems to be coming from one side(left rear), but it persists while turning which strayed me away from the idea of a wheel bearing.

Anyone have any thoughts? I do have the stock rims with the peeling chrome, so the only other thing I can think of as a long shot is the rims?
Old 11 Aug 2015, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: PT Mysterious Back Wheel Noise

Are the rear wheels disc brakes?
Have you inspected/replaced and adjusted the parking brake shoes too?

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 19 Dec 2015, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: PT Mysterious Back Wheel Noise

Had a strange scraping noise then a bang from the right rear wheel on my 2001 PT limited with rear disc brakes, got it to the garage and on a lift, pulled the drum and found pieces of the parking brake shoes inside, seems the backing plate had rotted out around the shoe spring keeper and the shoe came apart. The car needs new rear backing plates and of course new brakes. Chrysler will only sell the complete brake assy for $300, then when I looked at the other side the hole is opening up too. My mechanic thinks the best solution may be to get a used axle beam and replace the whole thing. This seems strange for a car although old, only has 54000 miles. This may be your problem too.

Tags
brakes, calipers, tire noise