PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tire Rotation Patterns

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2015, 02:12 pm
Banned

Default Tire Rotation Patterns

In the below diagram, I have always used the Forward Cross tire rotation pattern, and, until now, have never encountered an issue. This is also a pattern recommended in the owner's manual of my PT.

With this pattern, since the rear wheels are moved to the front, but criss-crossed, that now means that they are turning in the opposite direction from where they were when they were on the rear. When radial tires first came out, "they" said that you could not change the rotation of the tires because the steel belts get a set to them, and you could only do a front-to-back tire rotation. However, new radial tires you can change the rotation and this is to prevent the steel belts from getting a set to them. That's why I use the Forward Cross rotation pattern. However, my PT is currently experiencing a noticeable vibration, some through the steering wheel, after having the tires balanced and rotated. I had the vehicle back to the dealership for them to redo the road force balance that they did. For those of you that don't know what this type of a balance is, see the below video:

While redoing the road force balance, they noted that two of the tires have some lateral runout. I purchased the Goodyear ComforTred tires 04/15 and at that time, I noted the manufacture date of the tires. I was concerned that two of the tires were older than the other two, and the oldest tire was over a year old before being putting into service on my vehicle. Oddly enough, the two tires that have the lateral runout issue are the newest of the four. I would have thought if there was an issue, it would have been with the oldest tires. As far as the current vibration, should I just live with it and see if it goes away with a little more use since the front tires are now spinning in the opposite direction from when they were on the rear? Or I could swap the two front tires with each other, and this would then be a front-to-back rotation to see if the vibration goes away? Or should I pursue the replacement, under warranty, of the two tires that have the lateral runout issue? Thanks for your comments.
ColTED and NitroPT like this.
Old 16 Aug 2015, 02:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tire Rotation Patterns

I bought 4 tires from TireBuyer.com and had them sent to a recommended tire store. They put them on after balancing and they had a vibration. Looked at the tires again and they found two out-of-round. The store backed me up when I called TireBuyer and they sent two new tires the next day. That doesn't have a lot to do with your problem but I would say, have the store back you up on the lateral runout issue and get new tires under the warranty. Don't hope for the best by driving on them.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Aug 2015, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are times that as the tires wear during rechecking balancing I make note of weight amount and location. If they take more then an once, greater amount weight then previous balance or different locations then previously mounted I have them break the tire and rotate 180 degrees of the largest change and re balance.

I also do a combination with directional tires of A & C but I only run them for short road track events or just 50- 100 miles and then revert back to the proper directional tire positioning.

For none directional tires I observe the tire wear and determine which best suits the tire rotation method to best serve the established tire wear pattern.

My normal rotation of all my vehicles tires is between 3000-5000 miles and usually done at the time of oil changes . Racing or drives that roads have lot of twisties the rotation may be as little as a few hundred miles.
This method has worked for me and I am not suggesting other follow it unless you can carefully monitor your tire wear pattern and keep accurate tire pressure adjustments.

One last thing about buying new tires....look for the date code to make sure you are getting tires manufactured at least in the last 12 months. The example CREWZIN gave leads me to think it was possible he was given new tires manufacture over a year ago which sat in a warehouse stack up with other tires until wholesaled out. Many times great tire prices are for old stocked tires.

Not many look for the age of tires when buying NEW tires.
rockandroller likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 16 Aug 2015 at 02:58 pm.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 07:56 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I bought 4 tires from TireBuyer.com and had them sent to a recommended tire store. They put them on after balancing and they had a vibration. Looked at the tires again and they found two out-of-round. The store backed me up when I called TireBuyer and they sent two new tires the next day. That doesn't have a lot to do with your problem but I would say, have the store back you up on the lateral runout issue and get new tires under the warranty. Don't hope for the best by driving on them.
Today Goodyear replaced the two rear tires, under warranty, that had the lateral runout issue. I haven't driven it enough on the highway to verify if the vibration is gone, but at least this is a start.
Old 02 Oct 2015, 01:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

This is the correct mode of tire rotation. It will provide the tires long life.
Old 13 Oct 2015, 02:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

The picture has described the best method of tire rotation. After tire rotation proper wheel balancing is also required, which will make your vehicle in perfect running condition.
Old 13 Oct 2015, 08:20 am
Banned

What had been discovered was the cause of the repeated vibration on my PT, even after two tires had been replaced, was that the reconditioned rims (stock steel rims) that I that I had purchased online and had put on the vehicle last April, at the same time that I got new tires, all of them had some "hop" to them, in that they were slightly out of round. So I ended up painting my original rims with rattle can and put them back on the vehicle. No more vibrations!
Old 10 Nov 2015, 09:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I hate spoiled rims! You gotta ta eat'um before that happens!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 Nov 2015, 02:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi rckstein I have BMW 2 series and since last week it was giving the problem of shaking above the 60 speed. I went with my hubby to got it checked from mechanic and he told us that it is because to imbalance of tires. He rotated the tires in the same way as you have mentioned at the diagram. Now it is running in perfect condition.
rckstein likes this.
Old 30 Nov 2015, 05:25 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisagrace View Post
Hi rckstein I have BMW 2 series and since last week it was giving the problem of shaking above the 60 speed. I went with my hubby to got it checked from mechanic and he told us that it is because to imbalance of tires. He rotated the tires in the same way as you have mentioned at the diagram. Now it is running in perfect condition.
Glad to hear that you got your situation taken care of!