Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wheel bearing from hell.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2015, 03:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Wheel bearing from hell.

Sooooo about 3 months ago i replaced my passenger front wheel bearing. Was simple, removed the knuckle, bought a bearing, took it to a shop, pressed out, pressed in , reassembled and golden.

Well about a month ago I noticed the Drives side was giving me the "wubbing sound of death" So yesterday I decided it was time to do that one as well. Well I got the knuckle off in a record 2 freaking ours . But i got it out none the less *tie rod ends didnt wanna seperate and the ball joint was a ****

Took the knuckle to a shop called AC provos here in maine to have the new $47 national bearing pressed. Took the people over an hour to do it, excuses like the race came out with the hub, we have to cut the race off etc. Sounded weird because you can press all of that off .......IF youre using a press right?

Well when they were done they charged me $80 for 1 hour labor and placed the knuckle in my trunk and off I went. Upon getting home and removing the knuckle to re-install it I was shocked at what I saw.

First off the hub had over 1" of play in it,

Second the hub was not pressed fully through even once race.....never mind two of them.

and third the actual bearing had a few mm of spacing between it and the knuckle.

In other words they charged me $80 to give me back a death trap that would only cause my entire wheel to come off if i drove it anywhere at all.

So after an emergency call to my buddy who owns another shop. He was able to press out a fully destroyed national wheel bearing that had a full life of 2.1 hours.

Turns out the previous shop had taken a grider to the hub, and even a tack welder to the new bearing. WTF!?

Anywho he was able to press in another $47 bearing and I took it home and re-installed it.

But my problems arent done yet.

Now i have a noise in that wheel that sounds like loose change that matches my vehicle speed and only quiets down slightly upon breaking *fully stops when the vehicle isnt moving* but is loud and audible between 0-50mph *havent gone over 50*.

Anyone have any idea what that is?
Old 06 Sep 2015, 03:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Wheel bearing from hell.

it's probably the brake rubbing from the damaged hub. if you touch both rims, im willing to bet the loud one will be waaaaaayyyy hotter.

nice to hear from you again
Old 06 Sep 2015, 11:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check the backing plate. Plot might be rubbing the rotor.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Sep 2015, 08:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

If the first shop used a grinder on the hub, I'm guessing they ground out too much and your new bearing isn't fitting as tight as it should. Why would you have not checked the assembly before you left the first shop? I ALWAYS check things like that before paying for it. I don't trust people in shops for the most part because of the half-assed work I've seen so many turn out. I'd be raising hell with the owner of the first shop and demanding a refund.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 09 Sep 2015, 05:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Sooooo about 3 months ago i replaced my passenger front wheel bearing. Was simple, removed the knuckle, bought a bearing, took it to a shop, pressed out, pressed in , reassembled and golden.

Well about a month ago I noticed the Drives side was giving me the "wubbing sound of death" So yesterday I decided it was time to do that one as well. Well I got the knuckle off in a record 2 freaking ours . But i got it out none the less *tie rod ends didnt wanna seperate and the ball joint was a ****

Took the knuckle to a shop called AC provos here in maine to have the new $47 national bearing pressed. Took the people over an hour to do it, excuses like the race came out with the hub, we have to cut the race off etc. Sounded weird because you can press all of that off .......IF youre using a press right?

Well when they were done they charged me $80 for 1 hour labor and placed the knuckle in my trunk and off I went. Upon getting home and removing the knuckle to re-install it I was shocked at what I saw.

First off the hub had over 1" of play in it,

Second the hub was not pressed fully through even once race.....never mind two of them.

and third the actual bearing had a few mm of spacing between it and the knuckle.

In other words they charged me $80 to give me back a death trap that would only cause my entire wheel to come off if i drove it anywhere at all.

So after an emergency call to my buddy who owns another shop. He was able to press out a fully destroyed national wheel bearing that had a full life of 2.1 hours.

Turns out the previous shop had taken a grider to the hub, and even a tack welder to the new bearing. WTF!?

Anywho he was able to press in another $47 bearing and I took it home and re-installed it.

But my problems arent done yet.

Now i have a noise in that wheel that sounds like loose change that matches my vehicle speed and only quiets down slightly upon breaking *fully stops when the vehicle isnt moving* but is loud and audible between 0-50mph *havent gone over 50*.

Anyone have any idea what that is?
AC PROVOS should stick to just pumping gas and towing cars , I use a guy that was in sanford that has a shop in Lyman now his cheap and reliable a bit of a drive if you live in Lebanon but not that far