PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Control arm bushings and Engine Mounts...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2015, 09:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Control arm bushings and Engine Mounts...

So, when I was in the shop a couple of weeks ago getting my busted alternator belt replaced, the StealerShip gave me their "complementary 67-point inspection".

They found a pressing need for a number of things, none of which I had time to do that weekend. (Was at a Chrysler dealer out of town, en route to my Mom's birthday party...)

1) replace left front lower control arm bushings (found control arm bushings worn/loose) $320

2) replace right front lower control arm bushings (found control arm bushings worn/loose) $320

3) Perform alignment (found control arm bushings worn/loose) $135

4) replace lower engine mount (found engine mount worn/loose) $242

5) replace upper engine mount (found engine mount worn/loose) $265

6) Mount and balance 4 new tires (based on individually measured tread depth) $485

Well....

I do agree with the control arm bushings ( I get a clunk up front on potholes).

I'm a bit suspicious about the "engine mounts" though... last year when I got my leaky rear engine seal replaced, they also replaced the lower engine mount.
What are the odds of it going bad in less than 12 months???
(Obviously, will get them changed out if they're really broken...)

As for tires, I was planning on getting a new set before the snow falls. But is 5/32nds really cause for alarm? That's more than an 1/8th of an inch...

====================

Anyway, since it's a 2004 and I am pretty sure the control arms are original, I'm thinking that maybe I just go to RockAuto and order a couple of new arms (complete with bushings)?
I have no desire to climb under there and change it myself, but my local shop has been pretty good to me, and their shop rate is $85 an hour (Vs. $150/hr at the Stealership...)

Anything else I should consider having done, while they're messing around with suspension??
Old 06 Sep 2015, 11:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Control arm bushings and Engine Mounts...

I'm by no means an expert, but everything I've read on the forum here says to buy the Moog "problem solver" control atms that have a new style bushing that is supposed to last longer.
Also, Rock Auto recently posted a code here for 5% off all orders, good through November.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 07 Sep 2015, 08:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As far as your tires, 4/32 is the recommended time to replace. Being at 5/32 it was close enough for the dealer to recommend changing them.

The lower engine mount is pretty easy to see for yourself if it need replacing again and if you've never replaced the top one, it's probably due.

rockandroller and Gkon like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Sep 2015, 10:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's dark here, and this is all I can see at present (without crawling under the car, etc)

These are the ends of the "lower control arms", right?

According to rockauto - that would be

MOOG CK620010 {#4656730AH, 4656730AN, K620010} Problem Solver; Complete Arm w/Ball Joint Info One of our most popular parts
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. Front Right Lower; Contains Bushing; Includes Powdered-Metal Gusher Bearing To Allow Grease To Penetrate Bearing Surfaces

and

MOOG CK620009 {#4656731AH, 4656731AN, K620009} Problem Solver; Complete Arm w/Ball Joint Info One of our most popular parts
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Front Left Lower; Contains Bushing; Includes Powdered-Metal Gusher Bearing To Allow Grease To Penetrate Bearing Surfaces

Eighty bux Canadian each seems like a good price...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo5435.jpg (27.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Photo5438.jpg (73.1 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by rockandroller; 07 Sep 2015 at 10:06 pm.
Old 08 Sep 2015, 01:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

PS: do you think I should order all 4 engine mounts, while I'm at it?

(Is it that big a job to change 'em all out, once you have committed to doing one?)

** I'll be paying the local auto tech to do this, don't have the tools or time to attempt such a job myself...
Old 08 Sep 2015, 02:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
PS: do you think I should order all 4 engine mounts, while I'm at it?

(Is it that big a job to change 'em all out, once you have committed to doing one?)

** I'll be paying the local auto tech to do this, don't have the tools or time to attempt such a job myself...
In my opinion I would just have the upper and lower torque strut engine mounts replaced. Make sure they do the alignment procedure per the factory manual on the upper and lower torque struts or you will be replacing both struts in 18 months. The center mount is extremely expensive to replace and should always be replaced when the timing belt is replaced. I would not recommend replacing the center motor mount unless required. Very rarely I see any posts on the transmission mount being replaced.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 08 Sep 2015, 08:22 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
In my opinion I would just have the upper and lower torque strut engine mounts replaced. Make sure they do the alignment procedure per the factory manual on the upper and lower torque struts or you will be replacing both struts in 18 months. The center mount is extremely expensive to replace and should always be replaced when the timing belt is replaced. I would not recommend replacing the center motor mount unless required. Very rarely I see any posts on the transmission mount being replaced.
Just ask me about this, my PT just went through replacement of the center mount, another $1500 spent to replace the timing belt parts, it was either do it that way or remove the engine to replace it!
Old 08 Sep 2015, 04:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

your pics defiantly show bad control arm bushings! The control arm should be roughly centered in that opening, not sitting on the lower section.

The Moog parts will work nicely! That will also get you new ball joints.
rockandroller likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 08 Sep 2015, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for the advice!
Both control arms and 'upper & lower' motor mounts are now ordered :-)
ptcruisersteve and Gkon like this.
Old 08 Sep 2015, 07:46 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
It's dark here, and this is all I can see at present (without crawling under the car, etc)

These are the ends of the "lower control arms", right?

According to rockauto - that would be

MOOG CK620010 {#4656730AH, 4656730AN, K620010} Problem Solver; Complete Arm w/Ball Joint Info One of our most popular parts
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. Front Right Lower; Contains Bushing; Includes Powdered-Metal Gusher Bearing To Allow Grease To Penetrate Bearing Surfaces

and

MOOG CK620009 {#4656731AH, 4656731AN, K620009} Problem Solver; Complete Arm w/Ball Joint Info One of our most popular parts
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Front Left Lower; Contains Bushing; Includes Powdered-Metal Gusher Bearing To Allow Grease To Penetrate Bearing Surfaces

Eighty bux Canadian each seems like a good price...
Your pics from RockAuto show the old style (OEM) type bushing. It is possible that you will get this style of arms rather than the new spherical type bushing. The term "Problem Solver" in their item description does not guarantee that it will have the new style bushing. I've gone round and round with MOOG on this. The only way to guarantee that the arms you order have the spherical bushing, is to have someone physically inspect the arms prior to shipment.

Borrowed this pic from a "Handy_Cruiser" thread. On the left is the OEM bushing, on the right the MOOG spherical type.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by rckstein; 08 Sep 2015 at 07:58 pm.