Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Quick Brake Question - Performance?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2015, 06:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Quick Brake Question - Performance?

I have a 2006 PT cruiser convertible turbo touring - Do just the GT models have the performance brake option or do all the turbo models? Looking to replace front rotors after 120k

thanks
Old 11 Sep 2015, 07:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Quick Brake Question - Performance?

I am sure that all the 1st Gen PT turbo cars have the "turbo" front brakes. And I believe this is true for the 2nd Gen turbo cars too. These seems to be what Autozone online says too.

To make sure, look at your front calipers and see if they say "Turbo" on them. Note that the OEM turbo calipers have this writing but some aftermarket calipers may not.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Sep 2015 at 07:20 pm.
Old 11 Sep 2015, 07:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes, it does say turbo on the bracket and the vehicle is 4 wheel disc brakes. Just didn't know for sure if this is what Chrysler calls "performance option"
Old 11 Sep 2015, 11:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Re: Quick Brake Question - Performance?
There is that word again, now were are those that are experienced in performance parts ?

The choice of brake pads can make the biggest difference. You can have a NA with small calipers and the brake efficiency of the larger Turbo calipers with a educated choice in pads..
Ultimately the best brake materiel is only as good as the tire that stops the vehicle. If the pads will slow the wheel but the tire can't hold then what good are all the brake improvements?

To many get caught up in the Turbo none turbo caliper concerns which is better, yet seldom do those same people drive their Turbo model PT or for that matter NA to the design potential.

For you application I recommend to buy what is applicated for your model PT and maybe consider ceramic pads. They are overall good for braking and low dust. If you want to improve your braking capabilities then a metallic pad will work very well at doing that. But you will reduce the life of the rotors and make lots of brake dust to clean off the wheels..

Just remember it is all about the tires for the end braking results.

A note about the word TURBO on the caliper. This NOT a way to identify the brake caliper anymore. Many new caliper's for TURBO appicated PT no longer have TURBO cast in them. And auto parts store even the big chain ones like Autozone are not the best to find accurate information 100% of the time. They rely on a parts look up program that is rented or purchased for computer parts cataloging. A better source is simply to go to Chrysler approved parts supplier and their sites or contact the component manufacture companies direct.

IMHO it is better to have the part number you need when you go to a auto parts store like Autozone rather trust the kid over the counter. If you choose to order it on line then carefully research it before you order it.

BTW I have personal pictures of a PT Cruiser GT TURBO NEW caliper with no casting TURBO on them.
I think I even posted them a couple years ago?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 11 Sep 2015 at 11:30 pm.
Old 12 Sep 2015, 07:07 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I am sure that all the 1st Gen PT turbo cars have the "turbo" front brakes. And I believe this is true for the 2nd Gen turbo cars too. These seems to be what Autozone online says too.

To make sure, look at your front calipers and see if they say "Turbo" on them. Note that the OEM turbo calipers have this writing but some aftermarket calipers may not.
My 04 turbo lite did not come with the larger calipers and rotors in front. It had rear drum brakes from the factory as well.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
2004 Touring Turbo Lite, Hahn 20g turbo, ATX ->T350 5-speed swap, mtx stage 1 pcm, DiabloSport InTune, rear sway bar, Wilwood big front brakes, rear disc brake conversion, Drop Zone springs, SRT4 dual exhaust
Old 12 Sep 2015, 08:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good info.

Good also for thread secrets of a PT?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Sep 2015, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinparker445 View Post
My 04 turbo lite did not come with the larger calipers and rotors in front. It had rear drum brakes from the factory as well.
Good to know.

Every turbo lite I've inspected does have the turbo calipers on front even if it has drums on the back. However, we enthusiast often try to come up with these hard and fast rules, while the good folks at the Chrysler factory likely just did what they did that day depending on what they had at the time.

And of course like I said earlier, some of the aftermarket (parts store) calipers don't have turbo written on them even though they are direct replacements for the turbo calipers. Is there a chance yours have been changed out?
Old 12 Sep 2015, 10:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Still have all my original front and rear brake stuff in a drawer, as well as some srt4 front calipers. Photos attached. Pretty sure my car was 100% original when I got it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150912_112237.jpg (94.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150912_112455.jpg (97.4 KB, 16 views)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
2004 Touring Turbo Lite, Hahn 20g turbo, ATX ->T350 5-speed swap, mtx stage 1 pcm, DiabloSport InTune, rear sway bar, Wilwood big front brakes, rear disc brake conversion, Drop Zone springs, SRT4 dual exhaust
Old 12 Sep 2015, 10:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had a Chrysler OEM caliper NEW in the box with NO Turbo ID cast in it. I also had a NEW OE aftermarket replacement Turbo caliper with no TURBO cast in it.

Maybe somethings about PT Cruiser should never mentioned as absolute? I have mentioned so often in the last years that my Chrysler information source (ED Peters) told me that several Chrysler platforms manufactured from 1995 though the PT production years that if during the stages of production had shortages of parts or components they would often use any parts on hand from other models to finish a production run.
chuzz likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 Sep 2015 at 01:45 pm.
Old 12 Sep 2015, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinparker445 View Post
Still have all my original front and rear brake stuff in a drawer, as well as some srt4 front calipers. Photos attached. Pretty sure my car was 100% original when I got it.
Very cool. I wonder if there was anything on the window sticker that might have indicated the difference? Could this have been the "Performance" brake package that might have been standard on the GT but optional on the turbo lite?

PS: Is there a physical difference in those two OEM calipers in your photo?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Sep 2015 at 01:19 pm.