LCA vertical bolt (pain in the nut ;-) & Right Center Engine Mount

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2015, 05:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default LCA vertical bolt (pain in the nut ;-) & Right Center Engine Mount

Hey hey,

I am long overdue for seeking out a lil cruiser assistance again on here.

I have my 01 up on stands, soaked a few mount bracket bolts with PB Blaster so I can replace my failed torque mounts without breaking any of those bolts.

I also need to replace the lower control arms .... bushings are hosed even though my ball joints seem okay still [the passenger control arm also looks like the original (like nearly everything was when I got it at 70,000 miles)].

QUESTION: So, I fully expect the nut to turn in the (sub)frame when/if I manage to break loose the vertical bolt on the passenger LCA. In case the bolt doesn't break but the nut does ... can anyone here please tell me the size of the bolt/nut?? [Alas no shop manual for me, just Chiltons & this forum ]

I am in a small college town so there is no guarantee I can hit the junkyard, find a PT that still has it and that it isn't any more rusted out so I can actually extract the bolt if I break my bolt Google wasn't much use and Chrysler parts searches online didn't help me much [i'm far from handy, but I've been improving as I age] The local Chrysler dealer gouges the students and are PITAs so I'm not even sure they'd tell me the size but would rather I pay their sky-high prices.

Related QUESTION: Has anyone here used the Dynamat to go over the flap cutout when they've had to go after those nuts? I see Amazon has the extreme at a fair price and since I don't weld I figured it would be my best option

Dang, if you've read this far one more question for the road:
Chilton's makes it seem like a piece of cake and so have a few posters in terms of replacing the right center motor mount. I can't see it well enough even with a mirror right now [i haven't moved the ac lines out of the way and removed the upper torque mount yet]; I think the chances are high it has issues since the upper torque and lower torque mounts both have tears.

QUESTION: Given how tight it is, is it very doable to remove the upper 2 bolts of the right center mount without removing any of the belts or anything else (other than the upper torque mount since I have to replace that one ;-) )? I easily slapped an open ended wrench on the 2 lower bolts of it... pretty sure I can get the upper 2 out...but I am thinking I could use an extra hand when I am trying to finagle one of the 4 bolts in on reinstall. Seems like most of the videos I've come across remove belts to have more space or they hand-wave checking it.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 17 Sep 2015, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: LCA vertical bolt (pain in the nut ;-) & Right Center Engine Mount

If I remember right, the bolts are 13 mm. And you may be able to reach at least some of the bolts with the boxed end of and end wrench without have to remove anything other than the splash shield.

In the photo below of my PT, you can see two of the bolts from the top. I believe I could access these and possibly the other bolts from beneath the car by simply remove the splash shield. I might have to do it from the wheel well and reach around and up past the sub-frame blind and without line of sight. But I've removed bolts in far worse places. An extra long end wrench and/or a curved wrench might help. A crow's foot might work too if the attached bar has a low enough profile.

It's worth a try if you think the bolts are stuck.

rockandroller likes this.
Old 18 Sep 2015, 02:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: LCA vertical bolt (pain in the nut ;-) & Right Center Engine Mount

Thank you, I thought it should be relatively easy but I sometimes doubt Chiltons.
I must not have followed the diagram very well last time I looked but it seems that all my bolt size questions for the LCA are answered [and not as expensive as the dealer here in town] here 2001 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2.4L 4 Cyl DOHC 16V SMPI, 4-Spd. Automatic,41TE Suspension, Front

Tom