PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What is the grocery list of items I need to lower my car?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2015, 12:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Default What is the grocery list of items I need to lower my car?

- Kyb front struts and rear shocks... Tokicos are too expensive. Are they the only brand which will provide a cushiony ride?
- Tein springs. I don't want the raked/sloped look. Balanced is nice.

- poly for front and rear (I feel like I'm missing some... I want to replace everything to make sure I don't get any squeaks.

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...594593&alt=web

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...619513&alt=web

Is this it? Then just pay to have it installed and aligned? Are there any camber kits I need? Any further items I take to the shop? What about bump stops? Should I also get a poly one? I read on the forum that it is recommended to cut them... Will the shop know what to do? I feel that buying it new is better.

2006 pt cruiser with 88xxx miles.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 12:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: What is the grocery list of items I need to lower my car?

No suspension items have ever been addressed. Should I also replace control arm bushings or engine mounts?

I just ordered the strut tower brace... But aside from the rear seat bar... Are there any other strut bars I could use to stiffen the chassis?
Old 28 Sep 2015, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfred View Post
No suspension items have ever been addressed. Should I also replace control arm bushings or engine mounts?

I just ordered the strut tower brace... But aside from the rear seat bar... Are there any other strut bars I could use to stiffen the chassis?
Strut bars make no difference on these. They are just for looks. You should address any worn parts while changing your ride hight. Springs and shocks is all that is required to lower the PT. will need to shorten the rear bump stop if you lower it enough.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Sep 2015, 08:52 am
Veteran Cruiser

a couple things..

at 88k miles, you're only 2k miles from spending $8-1200 on a timing belt and waterpump.. if you stick to the maintenance schedule. might be something to consider before getting wild with stuff you don't actually "need".

KYB shocks are known to have a harsh ride. i read complaints about them constantly. i doubt it's all BS. some even seem to think KYB is an acronym for "Kill Your Back"
KYB shocks any good?
Motorcraft vs KYB shocks
Best shocks and struts to use for good ride quality

Last edited by rob342; 28 Sep 2015 at 08:58 am.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 11:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Poly bushings are known to squeak. And will make for harder ride. They do come with a special grease to use on installation. But over time you could find you need to redo the lubing. You really don't want a poly bump stop. Much harder impact when you do make contact with it. You will still need to cut this down as well. So if your,s are intact. Cut the first knob off. It's foam. To do this is easily done with a hack saw or any other saw.
rob342 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Sep 2015, 11:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

you know Danny i had a long paragraph about how i though it was interesting that he wanted poly to be quiet, and went on about how i have become great friends with a grease gun i purchased a few months after my bushings.. but then i deleted it all because it looks like he's just referring to the spring isolators.

Busted_PT likes this.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 04:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Strut bars make no difference on these. They are just for looks. You should address any worn parts while changing your ride hight. Springs and shocks is all that is required to lower the PT. will need to shorten the rear bump stop if you lower it enough.
I won't be installing it myself so I have no idea what is worn. Should I just ask the technician what is needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
a couple things..

at 88k miles, you're only 2k miles from spending $8-1200 on a timing belt and waterpump.. if you stick to the maintenance schedule. might be something to consider before getting wild with stuff you don't actually "need".

KYB shocks are known to have a harsh ride. i read complaints about them constantly. i doubt it's all BS. some even seem to think KYB is an acronym for "Kill Your Back"
KYB shocks any good?
Motorcraft vs KYB shocks
Best shocks and struts to use for good ride quality
$1350+tax on 10/19/2015 @ the dealership for timing belt, water pump, tensioner, engine coolant flush, transmission flush, fog light activation/programming, and a car rental.

Also just spent $500 on mass loaded vinyl, closed cell foam, + cld (fatmat)

Next is suspension... I'll be keeping this car until it breaks which looks like it will last at least 5 years with my current maintenance.

Yes... It is expensive but hoping to save money over the long term by avoiding a new car payment.

NOW....kyb is tough. Is tokico the only good brand that is comfortable? What about Monroe or any other brand? Tokico is definitely expensive. Secondly... What else should I replace when I replace the shocks/struts/springs?

Quote:
Poly bushings are known to squeak. And will make for harder ride. They do come with a special grease to use on installation. But over time you could find you need to redo the lubing. You really don't want a poly bump stop. Much harder impact when you do make contact with it. You will still need to cut this down as well. So if your,s are intact. Cut the first knob off. It's foam. To do this is easily done with a hack saw or any other saw.
Okay keep the foam pads but ask them to cut the top nub off with a sort of saw. I'm assuming they will know.

What about camber kits? Is that a thing? Or would an alignment at a good shop be the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
you know Danny i had a long paragraph about how i though it was interesting that he wanted poly to be quiet, and went on about how i have become great friends with a grease gun i purchased a few months after my bushings.. but then i deleted it all because it looks like he's just referring to the spring isolators.

OK... So no poly then since I want it quiet... Should I only replace the shocks/struts/springs? Anything else you'd recommend?

Last edited by funkyfred; 28 Sep 2015 at 04:37 pm.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfred View Post
I won't be installing it myself so I have no idea what is worn. Should I just ask the technician what is needed?

$1350+tax on 10/19/2015 @ the dealership for timing belt, water pump, tensioner, engine coolant flush, transmission flush, fog light activation/programming, and a car rental.

Also just spent $500 on mass loaded vinyl, closed cell foam, + cld (fatmat)

Next is suspension... I'll be keeping this car until it breaks which looks like it will last at least 5 years with my current maintenance.

Yes... It is expensive but hoping to save money over the long term by avoiding a new car payment.

NOW....kyb is tough. Is tokico the only good brand that is comfortable? What about Monroe or any other brand? Tokico is definitely expensive. Secondly... What else should I replace when I replace the shocks/struts/springs?

Okay keep the foam pads but ask them to cut the top nub off with a sort of saw. I'm assuming they will know.

What about camber kits? Is that a thing? Or would an alignment at a good shop be the same thing?

OK... So no poly then since I want it quiet... Should I only replace the shocks/struts/springs? Anything else you'd recommend?
tie rods, control arms with spirical bushings from moon. Poly sway bar end links. You might want to do the wheel bearings all way around. The everything is new. The adjustable bolts you mentioned can't hurt.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Sep 2015, 10:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There has always been the interesting KYB information circulating since the 80's.

The GR2 are not High pressure gas and will not increase ride firmness over the stock OEM to give impressions of harshness if all other suspension components are in good to new condition.. The KYB KG series are high pressure gas adjustable and in many cases are installed on suspension that are in need of other bushings or suspension components needing attention. So unfortunately these frequently occurring installation of KYB KG series shock and struts it is a bad combination of new and improved dampeners on old worn out bushing that tend to increase ride harshness that many have translated into the reputation the KYB KG series shocks have. A careful and well planed suspension component upgrade should be a combination of improve ride stability without sacrificing the ride feeling. unless the intention is to greatly improve the handling characteristic's of the vehicle. Also there are NO KYB KG series available as a direct application for the front strut only a choice of GR2 low pressure comparatively speaking to the KG series KYB. And both GR2 and KG series choice availability for the rear of a PT Cruiser. The PT Cruiser suffer badly with under-steer so really any way to stabilize the rear better is an improvement in overall handling.

Choosing the spring set has NOTHING to do with a "racked" look because to my knowledge all the spring give a lowered height after installation based on the stock OEM ride height specifications. The variance that people get after installing aftermarket or for the matter stock replacement OE spring has a to do with all the other suspension component condition at the time the springs are installed. If your suspension is at OE specification you can be assured that the lowered height unless it say approximate measurements will be exactly as per the manufacture.

Having installed Monroe, OEM and KYB over the last 3 years on PT Cruiser the combination that seemed approved of with various customers, KYB GR2 front struts with KG high pressure rear for most felt improved handling. Monroe for slight improvement in handling and steering over OE and OEM quality replacement shocks and struts to remain factory ride familiar.

If you add any aftermarket spring into the combination you should really consider what the ultimate goal is for the PT Cruiser. Choosing aftermarket lowering or performance type coil springs is more about finding out the spring rates and consideration of all other suspension component including the wheel to be used and tire type.

Basically there really is no BEST, MEDIUM, GOOD or BAD combination or single component. What is the goal and , its all about planning for the replacement parts to attain that goal!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Sep 2015 at 10:10 pm.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 11:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
tie rods, control arms with spirical bushings from moon. Poly sway bar end links. You might want to do the wheel bearings all way around. The everything is new. The adjustable bolts you mentioned can't hurt.
Holy moley. Okay. I can do tie rods and those specific control arms which I saw a thread on earlier...

I thought you said no to poly? I assume the stock base model has a front seat bar that could use the bushings being replaced.

I don't know what wheel bearings and adjustable bolts are... I'm going to search those right now..

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
There has always been the interesting KYB information circulating since the 80's.

The GR2 are not High pressure gas and will not increase ride firmness over the stock OEM to give impressions of harshness if all other suspension components are in good to new condition.. The KYB KG series are high pressure gas adjustable and in many cases are installed on suspension that are in need of other bushings or suspension components needing attention. So unfortunately these frequently occurring installation of KYB KG series shock and struts it is a bad combination of new and improved dampeners on old worn out bushing that tend to increase ride harshness that many have translated into the reputation the KYB KG series shocks have. A careful and well planed suspension component upgrade should be a combination of improve ride stability without sacrificing the ride feeling. unless the intention is to greatly improve the handling characteristic's of the vehicle. Also there are NO KYB KG series available as a direct application for the front strut only a choice of GR2 low pressure comparatively speaking to the KG series KYB. And both GR2 and KG series choice availability for the rear of a PT Cruiser. The PT Cruiser suffer badly with under-steer so really any way to stabilize the rear better is an improvement in overall handling.

Choosing the spring set has NOTHING to do with a "racked" look because to my knowledge all the spring give a lowered height after installation based on the stock OEM ride height specifications. The variance that people get after installing aftermarket or for the matter stock replacement OE spring has a to do with all the other suspension component condition at the time the springs are installed. If your suspension is at OE specification you can be assured that the lowered height unless it say approximate measurements will be exactly as per the manufacture.

Having installed Monroe, OEM and KYB over the last 3 years on PT Cruiser the combination that seemed approved of with various customers, KYB GR2 front struts with KG high pressure rear for most felt improved handling. Monroe for slight improvement in handling and steering over OE and OEM quality replacement shocks and struts to remain factory ride familiar.

If you add any aftermarket spring into the combination you should really consider what the ultimate goal is for the PT Cruiser. Choosing aftermarket lowering or performance type coil springs is more about finding out the spring rates and consideration of all other suspension component including the wheel to be used and tire type.

Basically there really is no BEST, MEDIUM, GOOD or BAD combination or single component. What is the goal and , its all about planning for the replacement parts to attain that goal!
So there are multiple struts made by kyb but only one that works with the pt cruiser if I understood correctly?

I want a 75% highway cruiser taking overpasses at high rates while being cushiony. I don't want to feel every bumo on the road especially when the other 25% is street driving. Very stop and go so maybe a balanced ride without too much lean or body roll would be ideal as I also keep a baby 2 year old in the back. I don't need the harshest so I was a bit scared of kyb but as long as I upgrade everything else... (Other quote above) it should be okay.

So are the top two choices solely KYB and Tokico? Is there a 3rd? Monroe doesn't sound all that great to me.

Yes I would like to also get aftermarket springs to lower the ride. I thought the pt cruiser had its rear higher than the front so I wanted a more 50/50 balanced look which is why I was considering the Tein springs because of the 1.3" front / 2.0" rear drop.

What complete set up would you recommend?

Tie rods (any brand?)
Spherical control arms
Tokico/kyb? struts & shocks
Tein? Lowering springs
Wheel bearings? (What is that?)
Adjustable bolta (what is that?)

Ordered freedom strut tower brace from Andy's auto... Awaiting confirmation to see if they have it in stock. I just wish I had the turbo engine.