Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front end noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2015, 10:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front end noise

I have 05 PT 120k. I've had this noise a few months. Its more mild, and you can feel it through your foot on the gas peddle mostly, like a knocking noise i guess. Usually dont feel much through the floor on the passenger side, but one time i did. Pretty regular noise above 35-40mph and not below really ever. Bumps make no difference, and turns sharply drifting left and right at speed seems to make some impact but not enough to really figure out what that change is. The noise isnt so consistent that it is a pattern either like i might expect to hear from a tire spot.
Ive replaced most things on both sides. Outer tie rods(not torn but badly pitted), entire lower control arm(bad bushing and ball), sway bar bushings and links, wheel bearings(driver side had small amount of play). All this was done recently in the last 5k miles or less. Prompted by the noise, it only seemed to make the noise less annoying after each repair.
CV axle boots are not ripped and i cant get any slop when i twist and pull on them under the car. Struts arn't leaking and im not bouncing about. So before i spend another 130 bucks on cv axles that doesnt solve my problem, i wanted a second opinion. If its not the inner cv joint then the only other 2 things i can imagine are, struts/strut bearings, and more recently thought maybe it could be the driver side lower engine mount.
Old 05 Oct 2015, 11:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Front end noise

Probably a stupid question, but did you torque everything to spec? Sometimes, that's all it takes. I was going to suggest you check the end links or sway bar bushings, but see you've already done that. I doubt that it's your axles. It sounds more suspension related. Have you checked all of your motor mounts?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 05 Oct 2015, 06:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did torque everything to spec.
Ive replaced the 3 passenger side motor mounts in the last 3k miles. Doubt it is those. Maybe the transmission side could be bad but i'm not sure i can even see it and i'm betting its hard to replace.
It seems steady enough that it feels rationally based. Hard to imagine it being an engine mount but at this stage, i've replaced the things that made the most sense already. Why can i feel it more in gas peddle than the break or floor?
Old 05 Oct 2015, 10:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Get an assistant to help you and check the engine for movement. Just set the hand brake, put their foot on the brake with the left foot and put the engine in gear and give it some gas with the right foot to see if the engine moves. If it moves more than a half inch, I'd look at the mounts. Put it in reverse too, it may move that way. If not a mount, then it sure sounds suspension related to me, but I'm not a mechanic. I just do stuff based on over 40 years of working on my own vehicles.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 06 Oct 2015, 07:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not the mount. Won't cause this type of thump. I don't think it's shocks or there bearings. They don't rotate. Have tires been rotated to see if it helps? Axles way more likely the any of the motor mounts. If Turbo you have a intermediate shaft, with a bearing on the right axle. Roters, do you feel anything in brake pedal or steering wheel. Then maybe something in the rear.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com