PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Standard PT Wheels Too Expensive

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2015, 10:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Standard PT Wheels Too Expensive

Every year when I go through the expense of swapping summer/winter tires on my wife's 2006 PT base, I cringe a bit of the cost which is usually $80.

I consider a spare set of wheels so that wheel and tire swaps could be done in my driveway. However, it seems that bare bones PT steel wheels run about $100 each. Even used ones from a junk yard are going for at least $50 each, plus freight. Freight is often a deal breaker.

We got a bit of snow today, so I will be calling the garage to set up an appointment to donate $80 again.
Old 18 Oct 2015, 11:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Standard PT Wheels Too Expensive

Where are you at? I got steel rims for our caravan cheaper than your junkyard price. Warehouse Locations Stone Wheel Wholesale Auto Parts

They don't sell to the public but maybe you know someone with a shop that can order without a crazy markup?
Old 19 Oct 2015, 12:26 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
Every year when I go through the expense of swapping summer/winter tires on my wife's 2006 PT base, I cringe a bit of the cost which is usually $80.

I consider a spare set of wheels so that wheel and tire swaps could be done in my driveway. However, it seems that bare bones PT steel wheels run about $100 each. Even used ones from a junk yard are going for at least $50 each, plus freight. Freight is often a deal breaker.

We got a bit of snow today, so I will be calling the garage to set up an appointment to donate $80 again.
I went through this just recently trying to find some standard steel rims. I ordered from three different online companies that offer "remanufactured" rims. These are supposedly original rims, they did have all the OEM markings, that are refinished and guaranteed to turn true. I paid anywhere from $58-$85 per rim. When I received them, none of the companies could get all of their rims from the same source. I got rims from different warehouses all over the country. Most of them came in covered with scratches, which I returned. Some had flat spots on the edges so that they wouldn't even roll on the floor. Some of them came in with different finishes, some were satin others gloss. On all the returned rims, I had marked all of the defects with colored tape flags. When the same company sent me some replacement rims, I got the same rims that I had just returned because they still had my tape flags on the defects! The company had not even opened my return to inspect them, but sent them back out! Then I thought I had a set that looked good, even though they were from two different companies. But after having them on my PT for a while, it experienced a constant vibration that could not be removed by rotating the tires, doing a road force balance and the alignment was good. The rims themselves were finally checked and it was noticed that all the rims had some "hop" to them, meaning that they were all slightly out of round. One rim was so bad that when it was balanced, it had such a large weight on it that it made my wheel cover stick out from the rim. I then ordered a set of rims from a Chrysler dealership. The dealership rims also arrived with some scratches and did not look "new" even though that is what I thought I was purchasing. The dealership said that their distribution centers stock the rims in bulk, which basically means just thrown on a rack with no protection whatsoever. In my opinion, they should be at least wrapped in plastic! When checked by my tire shop, these rims were also out of round too much that the shop said if installed on my vehicle, they would cause the same issues. I had to fight with the dealership, getting the Better Business Bureau and PayPal involved in order to get the rims returned and a refund. In the end, I cleaned my old rims, painted them with rattle cans and put them back on the PT, no more vibration!

Last edited by rckstein; 19 Oct 2015 at 08:30 am.
Old 19 Oct 2015, 06:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:

I've been using factory wheels off a 2001-2006 Sebring/Stratus (not the coupe) with no problems of fitting or leaking and there should be a lot of them around because of the 2.7 engine used which lead to early retirement on many. I scored a set of wheels and almost new tires for $300. Check craigslist.org get a set off of private owner.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 19 Oct 2015 at 06:41 am.
Old 19 Oct 2015, 07:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Standard PT Wheels Too Expensive

Well, I had some luck. I found OEM stock wheels, reconditioned, for $57.88 each with free freight from Rock Auto. Have bought from them before. They have good stuff at fair prices. I placed an order this morning.
Old 19 Oct 2015, 07:47 am
Banned

Quote:
Well, I had some luck. I found OEM stock wheels, reconditioned, for $57.88 each with free freight from Rock Auto. Have bought from them before. They have good stuff at fair prices. I placed an order this morning.
They have the same brand of rims that I received. I hope you have better luck with what you get.
Old 20 Oct 2015, 09:30 pm
Young Cruiser

You might want to check out 4 Wheel Online, they are on sale will all of their branded rims including Akita and Advanti. They are slashing out 40% off from its original price including free shipping.

Last edited by hangtime; 21 Oct 2015 at 07:28 pm.
Old 23 Oct 2015, 02:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

I received my PT wheels today from Rock Auto. They were well boxed individually and were well finished with no scratches or dents.

Only problem was, two were the wrong wheel. The cartons all had the correct part number on them. This is what I got:

I received 4 cartons all tagged STL02198U45

I received 2 wheels, 6 slot, 5 lug marked STL02198U45. These appear to be correct.

I received 1 wheel, 12 holes, 4 lug marked STL02198U45. Correct number but incorrect for my vehicle.

I received 1 wheel, 18 slot, 5 lug marked STL03381U45 Sable/Taurus.

So, two out of four are OK. I contacted Rock Auto and they will reply within 24 hours.
Old 23 Oct 2015, 02:56 pm
Banned

Quote:
I received my PT wheels today from Rock Auto. They were well boxed individually and were well finished with no scratches or dents.

Only problem was, two were the wrong wheel. The cartons all had the correct part number on them. This is what I got:

I received 4 cartons all tagged STL02198U45

I received 2 wheels, 6 slot, 5 lug marked STL02198U45. These appear to be correct.

I received 1 wheel, 12 holes, 4 lug marked STL02198U45. Correct number but incorrect for my vehicle.

I received 1 wheel, 18 slot, 5 lug marked STL03381U45 Sable/Taurus.

So, two out of four are OK. I contacted Rock Auto and they will reply within 24 hours.
Did all four boxes come from the same warehouse, or different parts of the country? Before you have the tires mounted on them, you want to have your tire shop spin them on their balance machine to make sure they are turning true.
Old 23 Oct 2015, 05:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Did all four boxes come from the same warehouse, or different parts of the country? Before you have the tires mounted on them, you want to have your tire shop spin them on their balance machine to make sure they are turning true.
They all came from Alsip, IL. Yes, I will have them checked.

I have received return labels from Rock Auto.