2002 front end noise questions

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeX
  • 1 Post By Bren75

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2015, 10:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2002 front end noise questions

First let me say that I do my due diligence to find the answers to my questions before coming to this forum and bugging people with questions you can easily find answers to. After searching the internet the last day and a half, I have more questions than I started. so here goes...

2002 5 speed 2.4l 120k

1) I started to hear a hum from (which sounded like) the driver side front. Almost like an airplane. When i turn to the left the noise goes away and sounds normal. Going straight and turning right it hums (kind of a wuh wuh wuh sound) getting louder and louder each day. Starting off you can feel a slight wobble, almost a up and down motion. That, to me, would indicate a wheel bearing on the driver side? Correct?

2) I have discovered that in 2002 they switched the size of the bearing from 33mm to 39mm. The only way to determine the size is remove the (what I would have called the hub assembly) knuckle and measure OR find a part number. What would I measure and/or find the part number.

3) Am I to believe you cant just buy the (hub assembly) knuckle with the bearing already in and do this job in 1 (quick) motion? Or do you have to have the bearings pressed in and out?

I replaced the hub assembly's in a Saturn Ion and did both within 2 hours in December outside and was fairly easy. I figured this would be a cinch since (through the help of this forum) was able to replace the water pump with a scissor jack and a $40 dollar set of tools from wal-mart (as well as a loaner puller from advance auto and a breaker bar)
Any reply is GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by HypnoKing; 23 Oct 2015 at 09:28 am.
Old 24 Oct 2015, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 front end noise questions

from more digging this is what I found out.

It is more than likely a bearing issue though I will inspect cv boot and steering components (and ground strap) to be sure there isnt another issue as well.

From one post it appears that they did switch from a 33mm to a 39 mm in 2002 with NO way to determine which one you have other than removing the part and measuring. (you may be able to measure with out removal but i am not sure about that.)

And lastly no you cannot buy it all together and just replace it as one unit. At the very least you would still have to have the parts pressed in.

If ant of this is incorrect please feel free to correct

I have a garage down the road saying he doesnt need a press just a vice and a socket as this is how he does this "all the time"

I'll keep who ever cares to read this posted
Old 24 Oct 2015, 12:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoKing View Post
from more digging this is what I found out.

It is more than likely a bearing issue though I will inspect cv boot and steering components (and ground strap) to be sure there isnt another issue as well.

From one post it appears that they did switch from a 33mm to a 39 mm in 2002 with NO way to determine which one you have other than removing the part and measuring. (you may be able to measure with out removal but i am not sure about that.)

And lastly no you cannot buy it all together and just replace it as one unit. At the very least you would still have to have the parts pressed in.

If ant of this is incorrect please feel free to correct

I have a garage down the road saying he doesnt need a press just a vice and a socket as this is how he does this "all the time"

I'll keep who ever cares to read this posted
IF you know what your doing, you can get away with a vice and socket to press the bearing in. From my experience I knocked out the old bearing with a hammer and socket so I figured its not all that tight and was able push it back in and have had no problems. Mind you I have 10 years pushing bearings that cost thousands on and off with a 50,000 ton press in a industrial setting. I would not recommend the average Joe to do it.
HypnoKing likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 21 Nov 2015, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes sir...Press

You would be better off just buying a complete Hub and bearing kit. Rock Auto has one for like $30 bucks. No sense in just replacing the bearing. This way you get new lug studs too.

Take the Steering Knuckle off and Press the old bearing and hub out. Clean the ring on the knuckle with emery cloth. Put some bearing grease around circumference. Press in near Bearing. Press in Hub. Make sure you have something backing the bearing when pressing in the hub or you will jack up the new bearing. It's actually pretty easy and about an hour or two job.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 21 Nov 2015, 11:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

+1 on the complete bearing and hub.

Tags
2002 pt cruiser, hub assembly, wheel bearing