Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 PT Cruiser front end clunking over bumps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2016, 06:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 2004 PT Cruiser front end clunking over bumps

My 04 PT cruiser is clunking in the front end suspension, now we replaced control arms, inner and outer tie rods, all ball joints, and cv axles on both sides myself got all the info from the book, the only thing that puzzles me is that before we removed the old cv axles we moved the shaft in and out and there was play in the shaft between the transmission and the tire, I read that if there is play in the shaft that they should be replaced so we replaced them and when we got everything back together and I tried moving the new cv axle shaft it still moved the same amount of play as the old ones did, so because we have 2 PT's I went over to the other PT and tried moving those cv axles on that one they didn't move at all and with that car we don't hear any clunking on that car like we do with mine. I talked to a guy at our autozone and he said that there is supposed to me a little play in them, so I don't know who to believe and what went wrong with the ones I put on, I'm pretty sure that the cv axles are the things that are clunking when we hit bumps because I checked everything else again and it's all still tight and looking good yet so please if you might have an idea please let me hear it anything is a plus for me at this point, I'm still driving the car praying nothing happens while driving it the bolts at the tire hub for the cv axle are good and tight too still are.
Old 26 Jan 2016, 09:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT Cruiser front end clunking over bumps

Could be the strut mount bearings.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 26 Jan 2016, 01:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Check the rubber bushings on the front sway bar which cushion the bar under the floor. The Woodie I recently had clunked on bumps. It was the bar hitting the floor.
Old 26 Jan 2016, 01:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Could be the strut mount bearings.
But it sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the suspension area it don't sound like coming from the upper strut area.. But thanks for helping, sorry I didn't put this info on here before.
Old 26 Jan 2016, 04:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Well, if you feel it in your feet, the I'm going to have to agree with pasadena on this one. Check those sway bar bushings.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie