Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front tires wearing out sooner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2004, 02:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Front tires wearing out sooner

Hey I only have 13,500 miles on my PT, and it looks like the front tires are wearing out about 1/3 more than the back. especially around the outside edges. I don't speed around corners. Has anyone else had the same problem. Is it the weight of front end? How many miles can one expect to get out of those good year tires. [:I]
Old 11 Jun 2004, 03:21 am
Senior Cruiser

do you rotate,you should rotate your tires every
6000 miles front to rear. I change tires in winter so
I rotate than.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 11 Jun 2004, 10:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It's completely normal for fronts to wear faster on a front drive car - in fact, you can probably replace the fronts and the rears will still be good, which is what I usually do, but the Good-for-a-years I disliked so much, I rotated and replaced all 4 with Michelins which aren't made with eraser rubber.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Jun 2004, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You have all the weight of the engine and transaxle over the front wheels. 60% of the weight shifts to the front when you brake. The front wheels do all the steering. Not only can you expect the front tires to wear out 2 to 3 times faster than the rears, your front brakes will be the next thing to go. Choices: Don't rotate and you'll only have to buy 2 tires at a time. Rotate and your tires will last twice as long but you'll need to replace all 4 at one time. [:I]

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 11:25 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

wear on outer edges, increase air pressure a little bit.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 03:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

[8D]Thanks for the good Info. I'm haveing them rotated today. I didn't know that about rotateing the tires at 6,000, I bought the car used at 8,500 miles should have had it done then.

I like that "Good for a Year" I have to agree I think Michellen or Brigston's much better. After I seen the front tires, I also thought about the front brakes how long do those last?

I also am having CD check the hose problems, although the service manager said that's not a problem with this car. I asked them to put a clip on the one issue, and check the other one we've been reading about. I showed them the articel from web site and pic's, and mentioned I got a call from in law in CA about the problem in local paper. I would pay for it just want peace of mind. They said they haven't heard of the recall yet. And they do what they can but when I do get a recall they call it in an do according to procedure. Sounds reasonable.