Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone running the MP suspension?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2004, 03:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Anyone running the MP suspension?

Greetings!

Is anyone out there currently running the Stage 1, 2, or 3 Mopar Performance suspension packages?

http://www.mopar.com/suspension_damper.htm

Our Cruiser has 64K miles now, so it's not too hard to justify upgrading the suspension since the original stuff is getting close to the end of its life cycle. I've seen the offerings from BTG, H&R, & Vogtland...but wonder if the MP packages (built by KW) might be a better choice since they were engineered specifically for the PT and not adapted from other applications???

Thanks,
Brian
Patriot Blue '01 Limited (5-speed)
17" ADR's & Supertrapp exhaust
Platinums, 8.5mm Magnecores & Screamin' Demon
Thinkin' about the suspension now [?]
Old 11 Jun 2004, 05:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'm currently running the KW Variant 1 system (equivalent to the Mopar Stage 2 package) with excellent results on my '03 PT GT 5-speed. I like the ability to adjust the ride height and not worry about corrosion since it is stainless steel based and has a lifetime warranty. The ride is firmer than stock with less bounce which improves handling quite a bit (some would say dramatically). However, if you're after maximum performance, in addition to the coil-over kit, I'd recommend upgrading the sway bars with the Eibach kit and add a front strut tower brace like the BTG/PT-Tuning. Further, I'd upgrade the tires with a lower profile and a stickier/wider/summer tread, I use a 35 series. As good as the KW kit is, you won't get the full benefit of handling improvements unless you do all of the above.
[IMG]|2003 PT GT 5-Speed | Mopar Stage 1 | Mopar 2.5\" Dual Exhaust | Mopar Short-Throw Shifter | Mopar HO Plastic Intake | Mopar Boost Gauge | AGP WGA/BOP | APC Carbon Fiber Taillights | Axis 19x8 Wheels/Yokohama 225/35ZR19 Parada Spec2 Tires | BTG Strut Tower Brace | BTG Billet Shorty Antenna | Eibach Anti-Sway Bars | HKS SSQV BOV | JLM Motor/Tranny Mounts | KW Variant 1 Coilovers | Maxxfab 3\" Downpipe | NGK Iridiums | Prototypepower UCP/CAI v5 | PTeazer Smoothie Roll Pan | Screamin\' Demon Coil/Livewires | StopTech Slotted Rotors/Hawk HPS Pads/Stainless Steel Lines | Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley|
Old 14 Jun 2004, 10:31 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks PurplePT,

I've got 215/45/17 Dunlop Sp8000's on it now, which were a big improvement. Our PT has factory swaybars, so I figured I would look at upgrading those if needed after we got it a bit stiffer & lower. Since I haven't been able to find pictures of the complete (KW) Mopar Performance suspension packages, are the Stage 2 rears also an adjustable coilover setup? [:I]

I really appreciate the input!
Brian

\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 14 Jun 2004, 01:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

The rear suspension upgrade on the KW's and Mopar Stage 2/3 have upgraded springs which are installed on adjustable perches that are supplied in the kit. Remember, the KW Variant1/Mopar Stage2 are height ajustable only, not damping. KW Variant2/Mopar Stage3 have damping adjustments.
[IMG]|2003 PT GT 5-Speed | Mopar Stage 1 | Mopar 2.5\" Dual Exhaust | Mopar Short-Throw Shifter | Mopar HO Plastic Intake | Mopar Boost Gauge | AGP WGA/BOP | APC Carbon Fiber Taillights | Axis 19x8 Wheels/Yokohama 225/35ZR19 Parada Spec2 Tires | BTG Strut Tower Brace | BTG Billet Shorty Antenna | Eibach Anti-Sway Bars | HKS SSQV BOV | JLM Motor/Tranny Mounts | KW Variant 1 Coilovers | Maxxfab 3\" Downpipe | NGK Iridiums | Prototypepower UCP/CAI v5 | PTeazer Smoothie Roll Pan | Screamin\' Demon Coil/Livewires | StopTech Slotted Rotors/Hawk HPS Pads/Stainless Steel Lines | Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley|
Old 14 Jun 2004, 02:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Ah, the rear shocks and springs mount in the stock (non-coilover) configuration, but the springs have adjustable perches.......excellent!
Our PT is still going to be a daily driver, so even though I'm quite sure that adjustable damping isn't necessary at just $230 more it is very tempting [8D]

Brian

\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 17 Jun 2004, 01:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

The best suspension in the world won't do any good without some good sticky tires. I have Yokohama AVS ES 100 and they are really sticky. You'll run out of skill or courage before they cut loose.