PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anti-lock Brakes (ABS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2004, 04:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Anti-lock Brakes (ABS)

Hello,

When I was shopping for my Cruiser I REALLY wanted Anti-Lock brakes. I could not afford the GT model (ABS standard) and it was hard to find ABS on the Base, Touring, and LIMITED model.

How important are the Anti-locks? Are you getting good braking with the disc/drum standard brakes? How about in the winter with snow/ice?

Thanks again,
Jeremy Bays
Old 02 Jul 2004, 12:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Can you spell "special order"? Dealers today try to convince you to take what they have in stock or can locate locally. Nonsense. If I'm going to pay that much money, I want what I want. Wait for delivery was less than 2 months. Salesman has special ordered only 2 vehicles in 12 years. Both of them for me. Says he is going to special order his next new car to get what he wants. Someone in Sales (?) decides the most common option configurations and that is what the dealers stock and the manufacturer make. The combination of manual transmission and ABS brakes is not a common configuration, but it is what I want. Mainly for the disks on the rear. Much superior braking to drums.
Old 02 Jul 2004, 01:33 am
Regular Cruiser

Imho, anti lock brakes are important, as are 4 wheel discs. That's one of the reasons we ordered my wifes 5 speed limited. I too feel if I'm going to buy a new car I want it the way I want it. The wait wasn't that long and it was interesting to follow it through the production and shipping process.
The other option is to go to the Chrysler website and check dealer inventories all over to find what you want.
Both of these processes asume that you are looking for a new car, used may be a little more difficult but not impossible.
Old 02 Jul 2004, 11:25 am
Young Cruiser

We bought our 2001 5-speed Limited just off lease a couple years ago, and it has ABS, 4 wheel discs & Traction Control. It is superb both in braking performance and in Winter (we live in Michigan) traction!
Our sub can be a bear to get out of in certain conditions (icy hilly twisty dirt roads), and assuming decent tread depth it does extremely well even without having to kick in the TC.
I don't know how tough they are to find, but if you're looking at Limiteds I would think your odds of finding the options you want are gonna at least improve a bit.

Best of luck Jeremy,
Brian [?]
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 02 Jul 2004, 06:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah, my 03 Limited has abs and it was on the dealer's lot.[8D]
Old 03 Jul 2004, 06:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

I personally don't like ABS. If it if used properly it is effective but most people don't use them the way they were designed to be used. Let me ask you if you ever let off the brakes in any conditions. If you do the ABS doesn't work. Most people tend to let off and reapply the brakes. I have driven allot of different cars with and without ABS and prefer not to have ABS. IMHO 4 wheel disc are to much brakes on a 3200 pound car but that just me. My wife's Sebring has 4 Wheel disc and ABS and is don right scary to drive on an icy road.
Old 03 Jul 2004, 08:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Grouch

My wife's Sebring has 4 Wheel disc and ABS and is don right scary to drive on an icy road.
No icy roads here in South Florida.[8D]
Old 05 Jul 2004, 02:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't understand your objections to ABS. The ABS system works regardless of pressure applied to the brake pedal. If you are just riding the brakes and one wheel slides, ABS takes over. If you are standing on the brake pedal and one wheel slides, ABS takes over. If you are accelerating and one wheel spins, ABS (now call Traction Control) takes over. ABS and TC work to give the driver the maximum usable traction on any surface. Not always what you want if you are trying to spin out or do a power slide. There are some more extreme manuevers (also lots of fun to do)that are difficult to do with ABS. The average driver does not know or remember how to pump the brakes and steer when sliding out of control. In a panic situation, most just jerk the wheel and stand on the brakes. Perfect driver behavior for ABS to take over and provide maximum traction to slow vehicle and take it in the direction the driver is steering. Yes, some cars are very squirrely when driven without regard for their unique handling characteristics. I chuckle at all the 4 wheel drive SUV's that wind up stuck in the median or ditch when we have 1" of snow. Some even manage that trick when it is just raining. I'll take ABS, I've even paid extra for it. It gives us more control of the vehicle than regular brakes, how well we use it is up to our mind set and drivng skills. How well we drive depends on who is evaluating our driving. Most all of us think we are good or better or great drivers. If we ask driving experts, we would probably be disappointed to discover we aren't as great as we think we are. Yes, we may know some extreme driving techniques, but the mind set that gets us into situations where we need them, can make us a poor driver.

Enjoy the ride
Drive responsibly
Knucklehead

Old 06 Jul 2004, 02:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Kuuckehead

Next winter when the roads are nice and icy just jam on your ABS brakes and see how fast you start sliding. Just make sure you won't have to worry about hitting sonething. I spent 30 years in the automobile business and have driven most of the cars made over those years and I perfer to have control of my car and not let an electronic gizmo stop the car for me. Wait till your'e car has some miles on it and have to replace an ABS sensor ( not cheap ). I like gizmos as much as everybody else but not when it takes car control away from me. If you like ABS that's great but I don't.
Old 06 Jul 2004, 10:08 am
Senior Cruiser

For many years insurance companies gave you discount if you had ABS. Not so anymore. Many insurance companies don't like ABS and will not give you a discount.