• 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By Daveandangela

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2017, 07:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Struts - Rides Rough

Hi there,

2002 PT Cruiser base model - 212,000 miles - - -

I've already replaced all of the rear suspension components 4 months ago.

Over the past 4 months, I have replaced everything up front - stabilizer bar bushings and links, control arms, ball joints. Inner and outer tie rods go on next weekend - and then, I'll go get an alignment.
*** Here's my problem. ***
I installed new struts on the front. I purchased the entire strut unit that has the struts, spring, etc. all put together, so all I had to do was take off two bolts at the steering knuckle and 3 nuts at the top - an easy 45 minute job per wheel. Now it rides like a tank! It feels like I've removed my tires and I'm driving on the rims. I feel every little pebble on the road - it seems I've done something terribly wrong, but I don't know what it could be. Are the struts right and left specific, and I put them on backwards? Usually, I'm pretty good at this stuff, but I feel like an idiot - Help if you can.

Thanks,
Dave Triplett - Tallahassee, FL.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 08:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: New Struts - Rides Rough

I think you have done everything correctly. You have been riding on worn out struts for so long, now you are feeling the road. I bet it sits higher now also.
rckstein likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 27 Aug 2017, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^^^ +1

The struts are universal, no left or right.

You're just feeling the road how it should be. What tire pressure do you run? Did you get an alignment after installing the struts?

Welcome to the forum

Even though you joined several years ago, you never created an intro thread. Please go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and introduce yourself
VsandFords likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 27 Aug 2017 at 10:06 am.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 10:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveandangela View Post
Hi there,

2002 PT Cruiser base model - 212,000 miles - - -

I've already replaced all of the rear suspension components 4 months ago.

Over the past 4 months, I have replaced everything up front - stabilizer bar bushings and links, control arms, ball joints. Inner and outer tie rods go on next weekend - and then, I'll go get an alignment.
*** Here's my problem. ***
I installed new struts on the front. I purchased the entire strut unit that has the struts, spring, etc. all put together, so all I had to do was take off two bolts at the steering knuckle and 3 nuts at the top - an easy 45 minute job per wheel. Now it rides like a tank! It feels like I've removed my tires and I'm driving on the rims. I feel every little pebble on the road - it seems I've done something terribly wrong, but I don't know what it could be. Are the struts right and left specific, and I put them on backwards? Usually, I'm pretty good at this stuff, but I feel like an idiot - Help if you can.

Thanks,
Dave Triplett - Tallahassee, FL.

Got to go with everyone else - my old petrol was a 2001, my diesel is a 2007, and the difference between a soft set of Macs and a fresher set is night and day.
I'm going the moon caps route so it was just a matter of trying out a mates Passat wheels first to check before buying.
Now running Michelin 195/65R15 on a set of Polo rims I got hold of. Works well and rides really smoothly.
VsandFords likes this.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 11:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have gotten complaints from customers when I have installed replacement struts from KYB or Monroe which are a higher pressure tubes and can cause increased ride stability but also a more noticeable ride quality in the firmer feeling. A couple times I had to re-install the struts with plain generic OEM struts to smooth out the ride quality a bit.

Another trick is to get set of lowering spring that are progressive springs. The first aprox. 1.5 inches of compression of the suspension will (depending on the brand spring) be a softer ride then with OEM springs. Plus you get the added LOOKS KOOL when you lower the PT about an inch or so from the stock ride height.
VsandFords and myckee like this.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 06:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All of you were right. I had gotten used to the overly soft ride of the old springs.
I went ahead and installed the inner and outer tie-rods. And then, I got the alignment done - I'm very happy with how it's riding now !!
rckstein likes this.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveandangela View Post
All of you were right. I had gotten used to the overly soft ride of the old springs.
I went ahead and installed the inner and outer tie-rods. And then, I got the alignment done - I'm very happy with how it's riding now !!
Do you have a rear sway bar on your PT? If not, go to a salvage yard and get one, really makes a difference on cornering! I added one to my PT a few months ago and love it, should have put one on it years ago.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93