PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Steering wheel not centered

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2017, 02:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Steering wheel not centered

HI,

After replacing the front left wheel bearing and the right tie rod the steering wheel is now almost at 90 degrees.

Not centered.

Is it easy to fix?

Thanks
Old 11 Oct 2017, 02:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Steering wheel not centered

Did you replace the tie rod end yourself? If so, you should have counted the number of turns it took to remove it and then threaded the new one on the same amount of turns. If you didn't then you can loosen the tire rod, turn the steering wheel until it's straight and then put then tighten the tie rod back. You'll need to have the alignment checked at a front end shop.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 11 Oct 2017, 02:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No did not change it myself. How important or urgent is it to get the alignment done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Did you replace the tie rod end yourself? If so, you should have counted the number of turns it took to remove it and then threaded the new one on the same amount of turns. If you didn't then you can loosen the tire rod, turn the steering wheel until it's straight and then put then tighten the tie rod back. You'll need to have the alignment checked at a front end shop.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 02:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I can't tell you how urgent it is. You have to determine that yourself. If you're driving on the highway at the posted speed limit and let go of the wheel, does the car drift to one side or the other or go straight? If it drifts, then you need to have the alignment done and you can ask them to straighten the steering wheel. If it doesn't drift, then you can either live with it the way it is or take it in for an alignment check. If it's not in alignment, then you'll start wearing out the front tires before long.

Charlie
Old 11 Oct 2017, 02:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Doesn't really drift, just a bit, but the steering wheel almost vertical is annoying . But the car runs good.

If i can just figure out why when i accelarate starting 50mph it just seems like missing power and starts kicking but if i accelarate slowly it's ok.
No check engine.

Thank you for the help.

Quote:
I can't tell you how urgent it is. You have to determine that yourself. If you're driving on the highway at the posted speed limit and let go of the wheel, does the car drift to one side or the other or go straight? If it drifts, then you need to have the alignment done and you can ask them to straighten the steering wheel. If it doesn't drift, then you can either live with it the way it is or take it in for an alignment check. If it's not in alignment, then you'll start wearing out the front tires before long.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 02:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

When's the last time you had or did a tune up? I'm talking plugs, wires, air filter and PCV valve. And you might want to try a bottle of Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner in a tank of gas. You may have an injector getting dirty or clogged. And a good throttle body cleaning won't hurt it any either. Just be sure to use throttle body cleaner and NOT carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner. They'll strip the coating out of the throttle body that needs to be there.

Charlie
Old 11 Oct 2017, 03:01 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

That's annoying with how the turn signals cancel as well

That's a really crappy repair job. Did a shop do it?
Old 11 Oct 2017, 03:49 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Just be sure to use throttle body cleaner and NOT carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner. They'll strip the coating out of the throttle body that needs to be there.
i have very harsh chemicals at work and NONE of them take any coating off the throttle body. i used brake cleaner on mine as it's my go-to cleaner. i also tried lacquer thinner, toluene, and MEK just to see. the TB busted sent me is destined to be installed on my exhaust like a dump so chemicals ruining the finish is not an issue. none removed anything but dirt/grease/grime. it's the caustically high/low PH aluminum pitting cleaners that must be avoided. oven cleaner, purple power, zep, etc. TB cleaning is for idle or sticking throttle issues though, so i'd say they can skip this

Quote:
should have counted the number of turns it took to remove it and then threaded the new one on the same amount of turns.
aftermarket tie rod ends differ in length so this is not true unless the new and old are identical, which has never happened to be the case in my experience. on my PT the one i replaced was over 1/8" different in length. instead i measured center of tread front and back of the wheels with a tape measure. after that i lowered the car off the lift, bounced on it a few times, rolled it back and forth, and then measured, adjusted, and repeated the process. once they were equal, i tightened the jam nut. it was close enough that i never took it for an alignment because it felt perfect driving.

not trying to be arguementative, just disspelling a couple myths i commonly run into
Old 11 Oct 2017, 03:58 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

who ever fixes it, make sure they actually adjust the tie rods. they could also cut corners by taking the steering wheel off and just sticking it back on straight.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 04:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

All ty rods are not equal length, to get them close I clamp a pair of vice grips on to the inner shaft and measure to the center of the grease fitting before removing the old one. I can adjust the length after installing the new one to match the original measurement.

Get you front end aligned immediately or you have either toe in or toe out which in either case will ruin (remove) the edge of the tires.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh