PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Control Arm Replacement Concern

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2017, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Control Arm Replacement Concern

Ok... I have another question for you good people... The questions will end soon.. I promise...

I'm looking at changing out the lower arms on my 02 Cruiser. It's come to my attention that on the back bolt there is this funky nut inside the body that has a tendency to break off and you have to go thru torture to get at it.

Is it common for it to break off?

Is there any tricks to make sure it doesn't? Maybe breaking it free using a ratchet rather than hitting it with an impact? Maybe spray some lube in somewhere that will allow the spray to get to it?

I'm not too concerned with the job other than that.

Is there anything else I should be prepared for in the job? I'm planning to do arms, links,struts and tie rods(inner and outer)...oh and yes...I know about taking that motor mount out to access the one bolt on the passenger side...hehe...

You folks have been awesome in helping me get ready for a big job ahead... like they say, knowledge is power and I thank you for sharing your "power".
wingman55 likes this.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 06:02 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Control Arm Replacement Concern

some have drilled a small hole in the frame and sprayed penetrating oil through a straw at the backside of the nut a few days prior to doing the job. i think it's an excellent idea.

i used the impact to avoid spinning the nut with a breaker bar. used a torch too.... and took pics -> control arm fun. WEE!
wingman55 and JDK52 like this.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Do you think using the impact is the smarter way to go? I was thinking slow and steady pressure would be safest, but I suppose if you shock it with the impact it might just break free fast enough to avoid any twisting.

Hmm...I'll have to ponder this further....

Old 17 Oct 2017, 07:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Heat will not help unless you cut the access hole in the floor board and heat the actual nut. If its frozen because of rust it will be a tough removal
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 18 Oct 2017, 11:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Do you think using the impact is the smarter way to go? I was thinking slow and steady pressure would be safest, but I suppose if you shock it with the impact it might just break free fast enough to avoid any twisting.

Hmm...I'll have to ponder this further....

In general, a properly sized impact wrench will reduce the chance of twisting off a bolt. I learned this as a kid from my dad while working on big trucks but later learned why in college. And it's just what you said about the shock of impact. The shock moves through the bolt like a vibrational wave and reduces friction between the bolt and the threads in the bolt hole. Steady pressure from a wrench only provide torque without this shock. This is also the reason a gear puller often works so much better with an impact wrench rather than a hand wrench.
Birdman likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 18 Oct 2017 at 11:58 am.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

A thought that just came to mind....

Do I need to get an alignment done if I do just the control arms and sway bar links?

I don't see any indication that there is an adjustment of any sort in the 2 lower control arm mounting bolts. They appear to be just "straight bolts" with eccentric built in.

Thanks for all the input folks... I really do appreciate it...

When time comes that I do the job I will try my best to take pics or video to post up here, as well as letting you know the results.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 09:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Control Arm Replacement Concern

If just changing the control arms an alignment isn't 100% necessary but highly recommended. If the arms/bushings need to be replaced due to wear there is a good chance that the alignment is off or has been adjusted to the worn parts... Also you mentioned replacing tierods and other parts so an alignment would be money well spent to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be.
Sinbad likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 19 Oct 2017, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah... Right now I'm leaning toward not doing the struts and tie rods due to financial restrictions...this the reason I ask about the alignment... if it was a must to do the alignment after just doing the control arms, then I would have to hold off on doing anything.... but if there's a good chance I can get away without the alignment until I can get the tie rods and struts done, then I'm good to go.

The control arms are in bad shape on this thing, as well as the watts link(which I will do soon too). Right now I'd like to do what must needs to be done to make the car safe to drive...and what I can afford to do for now...
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ready to get to work!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171019_135740.jpg (94.3 KB, 7 views)
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 20 Oct 2017, 06:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Do I need to get an alignment done

If only one of the new bushes is 1/10 of a mm different to what was on there, your alignment would have changed on one side - so not even symmetrically.

Even if you change nothing on a suspension, you should get alignment done when you have tyres fitted.
It's a lot cheaper than the wear on the tyres and fuel economy that driving with non-aligned wheels will cost you - let alone handling issues.

It really is the ultimate case of being penny wise and Pound (or Dollar) stupid. Cost it into the job.