PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Thudding under passenger floorboard (See work done)

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Birdman
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2017, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Thudding under passenger floorboard (See work done)

Hi All,

I realize that questions of this topic are asked often, and I have looked over various threads and solutions. I'm still stumped.. 2005 Pt Gt HO convertible 5-speed.

Work done: Sway bar links and cushions, Control arms as well as bushings/ball joints, and CV joints. Car has 82,000 miles. Had clutch, shifter cable, and wheel bearings replaced about 18,000 miles ago.

I am still getting a thudding noise usually under 40mph, but I can't pinpoint when/how it is caused. I'll back out of driveway, when the tires are off-set from curb and re-align the noise will occur. Also seems to occur more when weight is on front wheels (down hill) or when there is fast little bumps, rather than large sudden bumps. The car, to me, is generally unforgiving on any kind of bumps, especially top down, the whole windshield wiggles and is unsteady. Shop who did repairs claims nothing is currently wrong with car..

Any info is appreciated. I apologize for repeated question.

I have attached pictures of control arm bushings and one ball joint. Just wondering if they look healthy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4818.jpg (91.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4819.jpg (91.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4821.jpg (90.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4820.jpg (85.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 19 Oct 2017, 07:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Thudding under passenger floorboard (See work done)

Right c'here. Them there aftermarket style sway bar links don't always work so good on a little P and T Cruiser. Tried me a set and had lots a' bumpin' n' thumpin' and such. Kind'a likes what you bein' describin'. Ya' needs them there original style nylon types instead.

Might not be it. But I'd be awful suspect just the same.

Beyond them little no-count thangs, I'd jack the front of that there wagon up plum off the dirt. Then I pull and tug on every piece of iron under there. I'd use a pry bar too. And I'd make real sure-like that them big ol' bolts holdin' them back bushuns on da' can-troll arms was really tight like they ought'a be. If I didn't find no count of the problem, I'd likely get rid of them there sway bar links and grab a pair of the right ones like Mr. Chrysler put on there to begin with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SwayLink1.jpg (63.7 KB, 44 views)
jallen1026 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 Oct 2017 at 07:41 pm.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 07:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Possibilities I can think of...

Sway bar bushings
Upper strut mount
it's a long shot on this one, but maybe a bad CV joint? I know it's not common for them to knock on bumps but ya never know.

and could the noise actually be coming from the rear at the watts link?

I'm new to the PT Cruiser, so please don't consider me an expert... I'm just trying to be helpful.

And honestly, the control arm bushings in the picture don't look as bad as mine, but they don't look too good either.
jallen1026 likes this.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 07:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll check strut mounts and bushings tomorrow. When they did the control arms they forgot one of the bushings for the sway bar.. Horrible. But the control arms were done like 10k miles ago, I didn't think they looked that great either. Watts link looks good, but will also inspect tomorrow.
Old 20 Oct 2017, 12:50 am
Regular Cruiser

Check the carrier bearing between the passenger side cv joint and the trans. It has 2 bolts and mounts to a bracket. Mine was loose making a noise when certain torque was applied to it, also made a vibration that would kinda fade in and out. Took me for ever to figure it out.
Old 20 Oct 2017, 08:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Sooooo, it appears you had the work done by someone else and didn't do it yourself, is that correct? If so, odds are very good that they don't have the correct size sway bar bushings in there. I'd ask if they measured it before just putting a set in. The damn things came in 3 different sizes. If that it 100% correct, then I'll have to go along with Handy's recommendation of the end links. I bought some from rockauto and they bumped like mad. I took the frigging sway bar off until I got the right ones at the local Chrysler stealership.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie