PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wheel size and ride height changes: effects on ride and handling?

 
Like Tree27Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 23 Oct 2017, 10:27 am
Sinbad's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 241
Default Re: Wheel size and ride height changes: effects on ride and handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I own a few sets of performance springs for a PT Cruiser...also a few sets of different tire and wheel combinations...
Eibach will increase the firmness of your ride



You play with words like another member on this forum but the results is still the same on a PT Cruiser and can be measured with any device that has a accelerometer, .i.e. D-Pic.
Not going to argue or debate "wrong" anymore it only get people pissed as one says you can read and believe who and what you want!

No playing with words- anyone using the word "handling" with regard to a PT Cruiser is doing that.
I had a Fiat Doblo that "handled" about the same - albeit was a bit quicker.
It's a PT Cruiser - a van with seats and windows and it doesn't "handle". It stays on the road more or less until you over do it, then it falls off the road - which is not "handling".
It follows that putting another 10mm of tyre radius on it won't make a blind bit of difference to anything unless you are driving it beyond it's capabilities - which are about the same as a Fiat Doblo van, which nobody would accuse of being able to "handle".
Frankly if I'm driving a ten year old PT Cruiser so dumbly that I need to rely on the kind of do or die tyre margins that track racers swear by, I bought the wrong car.
By the way: the tyre width I use is the same as recommended by Chrysler. I'm not sure that matters much though. I drive it like a 10 year old van with seats in
thecabinguy and Carnut like this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Oct 2017 at 11:13 am. Reason: we know what you meant - family forum!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 23 Oct 2017, 10:35 am
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 307
Default Re: Wheel size and ride height changes: effects on ride and handling?

I made a post, i guess it didn't go through as i ran out the door.

I went from a 15inch rim to a 17inch rim on the same suspension set up, (tein lowering springs, gabriel ultras in front and KYB monotubes in read), the initial change to the lower and tighter suspension setup only gave a slightly noticeable bump in ride stiffness, but much higher gains in handling. Switching to the 17inch rims significantly increased ride harshness, but gave very little in terms of handling. If you want peak ride comfort, stick to stock suspension and small diameter rims. If you want stiff, harsh, handling, lower profile tires on larger rims, with lower tighter suspension. If you just want to stop one particular aspect of handling, such as body roll. Get the relevant upgrade, such as sway bars. That being said, do your research on how any particular upgrade positively and negatively impact all aspects of your car.

I know that increasing the side wall only on your PT may cause clearance issues with the McPherson style strut on the front suspension and you might not be able to fit them.

Something people always seem to forget, the OEM spends many years perfecting ALL aspects of your car, if they chose a particular tire size on a particular size rim, There IS a reason. Base models came with 15inch rims and sloppy suspension because technically they are trucks, only with the higher end packages did you see 16inch rims, and on the sporty GT the 17inch rims with "sport" suspension.
Sinbad likes this.
__________________
2004 Stage 1 GT Manual, Miles: 84k
Lowered Suspension, Sway bars, sound system W/Mopar Sub, LEDs, Debadged, Hydraulic hood struts, Hybrid BOV.

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 23 Oct 2017, 11:38 am
Sinbad's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 241
Default Re: Wheel size and ride height changes: effects on ride and handling?

Note for Crewzin - the word "mucker" is Brit for "a friend" a "mate" - nothing nefarious - two nations divided by a language etc etc No harm done and I hope Nitro didn't take it the wrong way. My bad... posting quickly as I was out the door..
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 23 Oct 2017, 11:46 am
Sinbad's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 241
Default Re: Wheel size and ride height changes: effects on ride and handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post

Something people always seem to forget, the OEM spends many years perfecting ALL aspects of your car, if they chose a particular tire size on a particular size rim, There IS a reason. Base models came with 15inch rims and sloppy suspension because technically they are trucks, only with the higher end packages did you see 16inch rims, and on the sporty GT the 17inch rims with "sport" suspension.

This is very true... the "standard" rim and tyre on mine are 205/55 16 - the tyres I run are 195/65 15 - much better ride, diddly squat handling difference. The standard winter wheel and tyre as per Chrysler is................................................ .................................................. ........................ 195/65 15

Chrysler in their infinite wisdom fit the same front springs to both the diesel and petrol PT - not sure what difference the extra weight of the diesel engine and it's extra torque and HP made, but presumably Chrysler were happy enough...

I'll stand by what I think - if you want to screw up handling, such as it is on a PT, mess with the wheel ET. A few mm of tyre radius, given that a tyre changes radius anyway over it's lifetime, are neither here nor there.
Carnut likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 24 Oct 2017, 06:32 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Cornwall, near England
Posts: 44
Default Re: Wheel size and ride height changes: effects on ride and handling?

I still cannot find "Low Tech" springs, but I have come across "Lotek" on US Ebay. Price is favourable, works out at about 90, but I presume these are not the same plus 'may not ship to United Kingdom' in any case: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-Lotek...25.m3641.l6368 The 2" (51mm) drop all round is I believe excessive for stock dampers anyway.

Other spring sets available to me in the UK & purported to be progressive include (inc shipping):

As mentioned, Eibach Pro Kit 125, 30mm all round

Direnza 150 30mm all round (Also 45 or 50mm all round)

H & R 151, 35mm all round, one seller says: "H&R pro kit springs are renowned for being the most comfortable lowering springs available, very similar to the Eibach range."

Cobra 155, 30mm all round

AP Suspension 158, 40mm front, 30mm rear (unusual...)

Spax SSX 221, 30mm front, 35mm rear "most kits progressively wound" (also 45mm front, 50mm rear).

Tein S Tech 520 33mm front, 50mm rear
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:12 am
Sinbad's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 241
Default Re: Wheel size and ride height changes: effects on ride and handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggle View Post
I still cannot find "Low Tech" springs, but I have come across "Lotek" on US Ebay. Price is favourable, works out at about 90, but I presume these are not the same plus 'may not ship to United Kingdom' in any case: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-Lotek...25.m3641.l6368 The 2" (51mm) drop all round is I believe excessive for stock dampers anyway.

Other spring sets available to me in the UK & purported to be progressive include (inc shipping):

As mentioned, Eibach Pro Kit 125, 30mm all round

Direnza 150 30mm all round (Also 45 or 50mm all round)

H & R 151, 35mm all round, one seller says: "H&R pro kit springs are renowned for being the most comfortable lowering springs available, very similar to the Eibach range."

Cobra 155, 30mm all round

AP Suspension 158, 40mm front, 30mm rear (unusual...)

Spax SSX 221, 30mm front, 35mm rear "most kits progressively wound" (also 45mm front, 50mm rear).

Tein S Tech 520 33mm front, 50mm rear
50mm on UK roads? yer having a bubble

At the risk of Crewzin giving me a clip round the earole, register on this forum and search for "feder" "eibach feder" and / or "tiefergelegt" - you'll have to use Google Chrome Translate (or somesuch) but you should be able to pick the bones out of what's said.
Bear in mind, German roads (in fact most mainland EU roads apart from some bloody awful ones in Belgium) are like carpets compared to the rubbish UK ones, so be a bit careful on recommends of very low springs...
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:14 am
Sinbad's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 241
Default Re: Wheel size and ride height changes: effects on ride and handling?

PS: I might be wrong on this, but I have a feeling that H&R *are* Eibachs - or from the same place...
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:21 am
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14,201
Default Re: Wheel size and ride height changes: effects on ride and handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
PS: I might be wrong on this, but I have a feeling that H&R *are* Eibachs - or from the same place...
Two different manufactures and suppliers of springs

Actually if one looks there is a lot of information on this forum about suspension upgrades.

Aftermarket Replacement Springs

I never could understand why there are so many people on forums that recomend things they themselves have NEVER tried?
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:35 am
Sinbad's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 241
Default Re: Wheel size and ride height changes: effects on ride and handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Two different manufactures and suppliers of springs

Actually if one looks there is a lot of information on this forum about suspension upgrades.

Aftermarket Replacement Springs

I never could understand why there are so many people on forums that recomend things they themselves have NEVER tried?

I never could understand why blokes shooting the breeze about old cars has to be turn into an unpleasant pissing contest by pedants, but you know, it takes all sorts

If I show you a picture of my Eibach rear springs can I join in?

Be sure and let me know, won't you O Threadmaster
Carnut likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:37 am
Sinbad's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 241
Default Re: Wheel size and ride height changes: effects on ride and handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Nah mate, they're two different manufactures and suppliers of springs, but people do get them mixed up
Yeah, thought it might be some old ballcocks I read on a forum mate...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2007 base model. ride height Chucky Wheels, Tires, Suspension 3 15 Feb 2017 11:27 am
Rear air ride specs (bag size/type) Odin Wheels, Tires, Suspension 10 24 Jan 2017 11:03 am
WTB Air Ride!!! shawn88m Classifieds: Want To Buy 3 11 Aug 2011 06:08 pm
air ride dwoah Wheels, Tires, Suspension 7 08 May 2010 09:55 pm
AIR RIDE DBROWN03 Wheels, Tires, Suspension 17 26 Jan 2004 03:56 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors