PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wheel size and ride height changes: effects on ride and handling?

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Wheel size and ride height changes: effects on ride and handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
I made a post, i guess it didn't go through as i ran out the door.

I went from a 15inch rim to a 17inch rim on the same suspension set up, (tein lowering springs, gabriel ultras in front and KYB monotubes in read), the initial change to the lower and tighter suspension setup only gave a slightly noticeable bump in ride stiffness, but much higher gains in handling. Switching to the 17inch rims significantly increased ride harshness, but gave very little in terms of handling. If you want peak ride comfort, stick to stock suspension and small diameter rims. If you want stiff, harsh, handling, lower profile tires on larger rims, with lower tighter suspension. If you just want to stop one particular aspect of handling, such as body roll. Get the relevant upgrade, such as sway bars. That being said, do your research on how any particular upgrade positively and negatively impact all aspects of your car.

I know that increasing the side wall only on your PT may cause clearance issues with the McPherson style strut on the front suspension and you might not be able to fit them.

Something people always seem to forget, the OEM spends many years perfecting ALL aspects of your car, if they chose a particular tire size on a particular size rim, There IS a reason. Base models came with 15inch rims and sloppy suspension because technically they are trucks, only with the higher end packages did you see 16inch rims, and on the sporty GT the 17inch rims with "sport" suspension.
This is all good advice and I do not doubt the accuracy of any of it, but i can say without reservation: no matter how well thought out the OEM was regarding wheel and tire sizes on my GT, the Goodyear RSA's that came on it from the factory were an abomination. I say that being a Goodyear man since birth that had the stickers on his big wheel.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 04:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Opening another can-o'-worms... I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned wheel weight. I won't even begin to consider a wheel unless it weighs less than the stock units. It's really easy to buy nice LOOKING wheels that detract from your vehicle's performance because they're substantially heavier than the stock wheels. Heavy wheels = slower acceleration, greater braking distances, and, probably most importantly, a harsher ride.

Does anyone know what the various stock wheels weigh? I'm guessing the 9 spoke alloy wheels on my 2006 PT come in around 20 to 22 pounds each.

Probably the best bang-for-the-buck wheels when it comes to performance are Enkei RPF-1s. In a 16" X 7" size they weigh 13.7 pounds each. 15 X 7s weigh a feathery 9.9 pounds. Cost runs in the region of $200 each.

Has anyone actually researched performance wheels for the PT Cruiser?
Carnut likes this.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMouse View Post
Opening another can-o'-worms... I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned wheel weight.
welllllllll........... I look at who the current members are and who does what and why...that said wheels that are light enough to make a difference worth while COST BUCKS. Like your responses 200 each with a complimenting tire at about the same that is 1600 plus mounting balancing lug nuts, alignment.Suuuuure!
Old 24 Oct 2017, 06:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
welllllllll........... I look at who the current members are and who does what and why...that said wheels that are light enough to make a difference worth while COST BUCKS. Like your responses 200 each with a complimenting tire at about the same that is 1600 plus mounting balancing lug nuts, alignment.Suuuuure!
My point being that lots of people will buy wheels based entirely on looks, without even considering that their choices can make their vehicle handle, accelerate, end decelerate more poorly than what they've already got. It's easy to drop $200 per wheel on something pretty that's better suited as a boat anchor- why do so, when the same cash will gain you characteristics that you'll actually appreciate?
Old 24 Oct 2017, 11:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
My point being that lots of people will buy wheels based entirely on looks, without even considering that their choices can make their vehicle handle, accelerate, end decelerate (BETTER) more poorly than what they've already got. It's easy to drop (ALMOST)$200 per wheel on something pretty that's better suited as a boat anchor- why do so, when the same cash will gain you characteristics that you'll actually appreciate?
I understood your point. It is just not practiced with the PT Cruiser crowd.

Well maybe not all of them.

46lbs as pictured.

18x8.5 with HTR ZII 225 40ZR 18 balanced. Oh and with a custom powder coated finish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171024_135738edit.jpg (102.0 KB, 28 views)
Carnut likes this.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 02:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Opening another can-o'-worms... I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned wheel weight. I won't even begin to consider a wheel unless it weighs less than the stock units. It's really easy to buy nice LOOKING wheels that detract from your vehicle's performance because they're substantially heavier than the stock wheels. Heavy wheels = slower acceleration, greater braking distances, and, probably most importantly, a harsher ride.

Does anyone know what the various stock wheels weigh? I'm guessing the 9 spoke alloy wheels on my 2006 PT come in around 20 to 22 pounds each.

Probably the best bang-for-the-buck wheels when it comes to performance are Enkei RPF-1s. In a 16" X 7" size they weigh 13.7 pounds each. 15 X 7s weigh a feathery 9.9 pounds. Cost runs in the region of $200 each.

Has anyone actually researched performance wheels for the PT Cruiser?
Of course wheel weight has an effect on performance, particularly acceleration, and some effect on handling & ride, but I was warned by my local wheel refurbisher to consider strength when looking for replacement wheels as the PT is a heavy old thing. The lowest "radlast", = wheel load rating, that I have seen for wheels that are TUV approved for the PT is 610Kg. I cannot find load ratings for the Enkeis you mention, but to compare the cheapest TUV 16" wheel I have found, the IT Wheels Emma, which has a wheel load rating of 670Kg, is 12.1Kg = 27lb in 18", so maybe 20lb in 16"? The usual conundrum applies: cheap, light or strong, pick two...
Old 25 Oct 2017, 09:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

As for the manufacturer's R&D, they have to consider the average user as their main target, but also allow for a range of extremes both re personal tastes and safe operation. Then you have the issue of different markets and different 'average' tastes in those different markets.

From parts pdf for the '02 cruiser:

Now I imagine my dampers will be the [SDF] Euro variant of the 3 possible, but who knows how to know which of the 9 possible springs it came with and without knowing that, and furthermore what the spring rate of that particular OEM spring was, how can any info about aftermarket springs be that useful for predicting how they might compare in ride quality with my PT's particular current OEM set-up?
Old 25 Oct 2017, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggle View Post
Of course wheel weight has an effect on performance, particularly acceleration, and some effect on handling & ride, but I was warned
You can achieve more results by simply relocating the battery from the front to the rear opposite the driver seat position. Lighters wheels 'tire combo's will have almost negligible results on a daily driven PT Cruiser.
IMHO a subject for another thread having to do with performance suspension upgrades?
Old 25 Oct 2017, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggle View Post
d furthermore what the spring rate of that particular OEM spring was, how can any info about aftermarket springs be that useful for predicting how they might compare in ride quality with my PT's particular current OEM set-up?

I think you will find that there was NO performance suspension package and that the only real difference in the springs was part numbers. There may have been a difference in spring for convertible model being a higher rate??? but the ones sent to me that came from a GT CONV were the same rate as a standard GT. I wont post what I found about NA model PT spring...lol

When you go to the suspension specification you will find your year model and ride height. From that information can be applied with accuracy to what after market spring say the lowered ride height with their spring will be. If your suspension is first to specification you can bet that the end result will be spot on from the aftermarket spring.

If you choose to upgrade other suspension components dont expect the after market spring top have the same results unless they exactly indicate other wise. If you read and understood the spring thread I placed in a response you can see that in some cases testing a replacement lowering spring could give you a softer ride from stock for the first inch or so of compression?

Reading all your responses I am sure that you are one that will not like anything except the ride quality of a stock PT Cruiser suspension and recommend that you only stay with stock replacement suspension parts.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 01:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
You can achieve more results by simply relocating the battery from the front to the rear opposite the driver seat position.

Do you have to take out the passenger seat to place the battery opposite the drivers seat?

How does placing the battery there differ depending on whether the car is left hand drive or right hand drive?

From what you are saying, the Diesel version came with the upgrade as standard. Does this mean the diesel handles inherently better than a petrol version?

Quote:
Lighters wheels 'tire combo's will have almost negligible results on a daily driven PT Cruiser.
IMHO a subject for another thread having to do with performance suspension upgrades?
Are you sure that unsprung weight isn't a subject for a discussion on performance suspension?