• 1 Post By rckstein
  • 3 Post By Birdman
  • 1 Post By Fk5
  • 1 Post By Birdman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2017, 11:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Project Control Arm AKA Project Lost Cause

So as you have seen in previous posts, I WAS going to change out the control arms, sway bar links, sway bar bushing, and the watts link with lateral links.

Got the car jacked up, wheels off, sprayed a few concern spots with PB Blaster, and proceeded to try to undo the rear bolts for the arms. The impact wouldn't budge them. So I put a Johnson bar on it with a 4 foot pipe.... just about snapped the Johnson bar....sigh...

I then decided to leave that and proceed to do what I (thought) I could do... sway bar links and bushings... passenger link came apart with no problem...went to unbolt the bushing bracket...both bolts broke....sigh...

In amongst all of this my compressor decided to start acting up as well...

So a friend drove me over to my work,Napa, and I bought a torch to heat things up and hopefully get at least one out. That didn't work either....sigh...(to myself"don't cry.. don't cry...). So then I tried to drill them out. After about 3 minutes of drilling, the bit snapped in the broken bolt.... "I'm done"

It wound up I slapped the link back in, slapped the wheels back on and limped it down to a shop about 5 minutes from me. I deal with this shop on a daily basis thru work, so the owner was willing to work with me on the labor to remove the bolts.

To save making an already long story even longer, after looking at some numbers and talking with the shop owner again to make payment arrangements, we are now going to have them do all the work for me.

I hate the idea of paying a shop to do the work, but given the whole situation, I'm grateful that they are going to do it.

I'll post the few pictures I took shortly.

(Sorry..couldn't upload the pics for some reason... I'll try again later

oh right.... and everyone lived happily ever after.... isn't how stories always end? hehe

Last edited by Birdman; 23 Oct 2017 at 11:29 am. Reason: update
Old 23 Oct 2017, 07:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Project Control Arm AKA Project Lost Cause

Just got off the phone with the shop. Turns out that same bolt that gave me so much grief gave them just as much trouble. They had to take the oxy/acet torch to it and get it glowing red a couple times to heat soak it and live in hopes that it wouldn't snap. I called back a few minutes later and spoke with another guy who said he thought they got it out....phew!

I'll call again in the AM and talk to "my guy" and see where we sit...

I'm so glad that we decided to go this route... it would have been super ugly if I tried to do it myself.
rckstein and Carnut like this.
Old 23 Oct 2017, 07:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Just got off the phone with the shop. Turns out that same bolt that gave me so much grief gave them just as much trouble. They had to take the oxy/acet torch to it and get it glowing red a couple times to heat soak it and live in hopes that it wouldn't snap. I called back a few minutes later and spoke with another guy who said he thought they got it out....phew!

I'll call again in the AM and talk to "my guy" and see where we sit...

I'm so glad that we decided to go this route... it would have been super ugly if I tried to do it myself.
Sometimes you just have to pay the shop.
Birdman likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 24 Oct 2017, 05:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Firm believer in spraying the livin bejesus out of all the bolts and let them soak in for a day or so then when ready to do the control arms SPRAY then again. I had done a 2001 Neon and my 2002 PT and thought... here we go and by God after a few breaker pulls to condition the bolts one more hard YANK and they loosened. Sorry you had so much trouble. Never spun the cage for the rear MF bolt.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 03:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey guys... I've been down sick for a while and haven't been to the computer for a bit...

We got the Cruiser back from the shop (along with a hefty invoice (considering that I do about 95% of my own work normally) and the car drives and rides soooo much better!

The clunks and rattles are gone, as well as the mystery steering problem I mentioned in a previous post.

The real test will come this week when we make a 2.5 hour road trip out of town for a funeral on Weds.

I do appreciate all the input people have offered. I hope one day I may be of as much use to you all.
rckstein, Fk5 and chuzz like this.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 03:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

^liked
Except for the hefty invoice.
rckstein likes this.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 05:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm sure compared to many invoices people have seen over the years, it is a drop in the bucket, but for me it was a wake up call to just how much money I have saved myself and family and friends over the years.

I think what really makes it so hefty for me right now is that we also got word that we need to come up with a pile of money for some school trips for our daughter, my wife and I missed about a weeks worth of work combined, we need to go to a funeral on Weds for my wife's uncle, and few other things that have been dropped in our laps over the last week or so.

I think under normal circumstances, it wouldn't be such a hit, but right now it seems like a lot.

Fortunately, they are willing to be patient with us while we wipe the dust off and get our feet on solid ground and get a chance to figure out where we are financially.

As a Christian, I am choosing to believe that God has is all under control and will bring us thru it all.
chuzz likes this.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 05:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Stop making these posts that I sort of like!

I like that your mechanic is patient, that you see that God has a plan and will bring you through it, and even that your daughter has school trips. I'm not so fond of the funerals and big bills, but good luck with everything. With your attitude, I am sure your family will come through it fine.
Old 31 Oct 2017, 10:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Stop making these posts that I sort of like!

I like that your mechanic is patient, that you see that God has a plan and will bring you through it, and even that your daughter has school trips. I'm not so fond of the funerals and big bills, but good luck with everything. With your attitude, I am sure your family will come through it fine.
You bet we will!! You need to have the rough times to appreciate the smooth, good times!
Old 31 Oct 2017, 11:48 am
Cool Cruiser

Unfortunately you can't get to the threads that matter on the rear lower control arm bolt unless you cut through the floor of the car to get to the captured nut.

This is what a removed LCA rear bolt looks like.

The bolt engages the nut up at the end of the bolt, not the base. The rest of the crud on the bolt is rust from exposure to the elements. I used an electric impact wrench to remove mine and with a cloud of red smoke from the rust being shaken off, the bolt came off without spinning the captive nut. I was already briefed and prepared to cut out the flooring if that happened.

Here's a picture of how it's attached from someone who had to cut through the floor to get to it. Chrysler even stamped an outline of where to cut when they made the floorboard. On older models they provide a paper template of where to cut. Go figure.

This bolt was quite rusted in even though the car spent its life in road salt free San Diego most of its life. Looks like water wicks itself up the bolt and it sits there to rust.

My sympathies on your trying to save money. My wife is a college admissions counselor and this is the crazy time of year for high school juniors (college visits) and seniors (applications). We are now putting 2 through college and every year, the school costs are like buying a new car for each kid and that's at the low end of college expenses.