• 1 Post By rcktpwrd
  • 2 Post By LionPT
  • 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2017, 06:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default rear tire bouncing

When i got to work today a buddy told me my passenger side wheel appeared to be bouncing i did notice a bit of vibration but it wasnt awful.anyway i checked the tires and all appears to be good so what could cause the bounce, anyone else experience this and if so what was the fix
Old 06 Dec 2017, 07:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: rear tire bouncing

Sounds like a bad shock absorber to me. Replacing rear shocks on the PT is an easy job.
ptprice likes this.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 07:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

like posted above sounds like a bad shock, possibly also a tire slightly out of balance as well...
ptprice likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 06 Dec 2017, 08:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

A broken belt in the tire or a bent rim would also cause this problem.
ptprice and Carnut like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 06 Dec 2017, 08:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

It could be low tire pressure, loose lug nuts, bubble on tire, as mentioned tire out of balance, bad shocks, bent rim and as a last resort replace jounce pads on the rear end. The photo give you a peek how it looks under there. Good luck.

Happy Ptin', ptprice

IMG_1059 (640x480).jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 06 Dec 2017 at 08:44 pm.
Old 07 Dec 2017, 11:43 am
Dedicated Cruiser

i vote leaky shock if the wheel only bounces over bumps. ...because i've been meaning to change the right rear shock on the minivan for a year now. the shock juice leaked out and now the tire bounces when i hit a bump.
Old 07 Dec 2017, 11:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeele View Post
When i got to work today a buddy told me my passenger side wheel appeared to be bouncing i did notice a bit of vibration but it wasnt awful.anyway i checked the tires and all appears to be good so what could cause the bounce, anyone else experience this and if so what was the fix
Jack-up the suspected corner place a jack stand for safety under the appropriate area to support the PT cruiser. Than rotate the tire/wheel and see what you can find. If there is nothing there then carefully inspect all the suspension components for damage or wear. If you do not see anything than I would recomend that you take your PT cruiser to a service shop for a brake and suspension inspection.
ptprice likes this.
Old 07 Dec 2017, 01:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Jack-up the suspected corner place a jack stand for safety under the appropriate area to support the PT cruiser. Than rotate the tire/wheel and see what you can find. If there is nothing there then carefully inspect all the suspension components for damage or wear. If you do not see anything than I would recomend that you take your PT cruiser to a service shop for a brake and suspension inspection.

When I had this problem I did the jack up and rotate tire routine and found a bubble in one of my tires. I tried to do the visual inspection first but didn't find anything wrong. I am finding that with the tires lasting a long time with checking the air pressure routinely that they sometimes go bad in other ways (bubbles, rotting, nails, out of balance, etc.).

How many miles do you have on the tires?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 07 Dec 2017 at 01:08 pm.
Old 08 Dec 2017, 11:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Shocks. All other causes here will be a constant. Had this happened on one of mine. It'll get worse. Bounce like a basketball.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Dec 2017, 09:52 am
Cool Cruiser

A simple test would be to push down on the corner of the car. If it bounces more than once, the shocks are certainly toast. Leaking shocks are also a good reason to replace them. The first repair I did on my PT was to replace the rear shocks. It took about 15 minutes for each side. When I removed them, the old one were leaking and had no bounce back. I showed my son how easy it was and he helped with the other side. I thought, small car, probably gets good mileage, easy to replace parts, good purchase!

Little did I know the slippery slope I was about to travel when I started performing repairs and maintenance on the PT
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 09 Dec 2017 at 09:56 am.