• 2 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1
  • 1 Post By rob302
  • 5 Post By thehoghunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2018, 10:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Vibration

I started to get a loud vibration coming from my front end that I have no idea were it's coming from. All 4 tires are new 4K miles ago. It starts out rough, and get louder, and louder all the way up until about 50-60 mph. It gets so loud it's actually hard to have a conversation in the car. I think it's still loud at 60, maybe the pitch is so high you don't hear it as loud. Not sure if it bearings, axles, front end, etc...????????
Old 08 Jan 2018, 10:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley558 View Post
I started to get a loud vibration coming from my front end that I have no idea were it's coming from. All 4 tires are new 4K miles ago. It starts out rough, and get louder, and louder all the way up until about 50-60 mph. It gets so loud it's actually hard to have a conversation in the car. I think it's still loud at 60, maybe the pitch is so high you don't hear it as loud. Not sure if it bearings, axles, front end, etc...????????
I would suggest jacking up the front of the Pt Cruiser and see if the noise is coming from one of wheel bearings. If you do find one of the wheel bearings bad be sure to replace the other one as usually if one of them goes bad the other one is about to also go bad. On my Pt Cruiser there was vibrations and noise getting worse from 30 to 60 mph and it turned out the passenger side wheel bearing was bad.
rsrocket1 and JDK52 like this.
Old 08 Jan 2018, 10:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Most likely wheel bearing. Drive on an empty road. See if it's RPM related or speed related. At 50-60 put it in neutral. If it's still making noise, it's drive train related, most likely wheel bearing. Also rev the engine. If it's engine related, the noise will follow the RPM's.

$20-$30 for the bearing, $50 to have a shop press it out and replace it if you are willing to remove the wheel knuckle. A half hour's work if you are handy with "wrenching" on a car's suspension.

About $200-$250 for an independent shop to do the job (Repairpal estimate), maybe double for a Chrysler dealership.

If you aren't handy with a wrench, tell a service station what your problem is and let them do the diagnostic. If they don't fix the problem, you shouldn't have to pay for their fix. The worst thing to do is to say "replace the wheel bearing" and it doesn't fix the problem. If the problem isn't fixed, you have no recourse. You told them to do a job and they did it and you are obligated to pay them.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 09 Jan 2018, 11:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Have you had a recent snowstorm where you live lately? Snow and ice will often get lodged in rims and throw the tires off balance. Mine shook so bad after a big storm here in Rhode Island last week I didn't feel safe on the highway. I pulled over and got all the snow and ice off my rims and I was fine afterwards.

Now driven by my brother

Sound System
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 10" MTX subwoofers, Rockford Fosgate P1T-S Tweets, Rockford Fosgate 6x8"s , Rockford Fosgate 6.5"'s, AudioControl 24XS crossover

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 58k
Chrome grille and wheel covers
Powerstop Z23 evolution front brakes
Old 09 Jan 2018, 12:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Most likely wheel bearing. Drive on an empty road. See if it's RPM related or speed related. At 50-60 put it in neutral. If it's still making noise, it's drive train related, most likely wheel bearing. Also rev the engine. If it's engine related, the noise will follow the RPM's.

$20-$30 for the bearing, $50 to have a shop press it out and replace it if you are willing to remove the wheel knuckle. A half hour's work if you are handy with "wrenching" on a car's suspension.

About $200-$250 for an independent shop to do the job (Repairpal estimate), maybe double for a Chrysler dealership.

If you aren't handy with a wrench, tell a service station what your problem is and let them do the diagnostic. If they don't fix the problem, you shouldn't have to pay for their fix. The worst thing to do is to say "replace the wheel bearing" and it doesn't fix the problem. If the problem isn't fixed, you have no recourse. You told them to do a job and they did it and you are obligated to pay them.
i agree on it being wheel bearing
swerve right and left. it should get loud one way and quiet the other.
ptprice likes this.
Old 09 Jan 2018, 01:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
swerve right and left. it should get loud one way and quiet the other.
Just remember that the other loud noise will be from the oncoming traffic when swerving left!

2005 N/A 5 speed manual - Booger bushings, K&N Filter, MSD spark plug wires, APC Taillights, Accra-Form Running Boards, Hubcap Mike's Spoke Hubcaps, Retrosound radio (usb1-2/aux1-2/bluetooth), Chrysler 1949 Hood Ornament, and a Flameball white pearl shift knob (which makes it go faster).
Old 06 Feb 2018, 03:50 am
Young Cruiser

I would check the bushings and tie rods also.