Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Caliper color suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2004, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Caliper color suggestions

I'm itchin to paint my brake calipers, but just don't know what color to go with. My PT is Deep Cranberry, and while I like the unique color it is, it makes it difficult to match up custom accessories. Most brake caliper paint come in base colors of red, blue, yellow, silver.

What color would you suggest to go with the Deep Cranberry, or should I just stay with the stock silver?
Old 12 Jul 2004, 10:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'd stay with silver, classic and subtle, however you could go for more contrast and use yellow. Kind of "ricey" though.[:I] Depends on the look your'e after.
Try some colored cardboard cutouts, put 'em behind the wheels and see which one you like.[|)]
Old 12 Jul 2004, 11:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

A lot of people have been successful in painting their calipers with matching touchup paint (spray and brush on) from the dealer without experiencing paint burn off or discoloration. Might consider that.

If you have access to epoxy paint dye/toner, you can mix it in with a true caliper paint and try to match the color of your PT. Go to a bowling supply store and see if you can buy individual bottles instead of the complete dye kit. The dye is designed to be used with various epoxys used to plug bowling balls, so it should be compatible with caliper paint and is permanent. Buy the G2 Purple caliper paint, add a drop or 2 of red dye/toner to it as you stir the paint, and try to match your Cranberry. Can put a drop of touchup paint on a piece of paper or cardboard and put a drop of caliper paint next to it so you can see how close it matches before applying it to your calipers. G2 Purple is already pretty close to cranberry.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 01:43 am
Senior Cruiser

I used the G2 kit available at tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/g2/caliper_paint.jsp) and it was a snap to do. It's available in black, which might look pretty nice with your Deep Cranberry - a little different, not super attention drawing, and very classy.

Quote:
quote:KMB60 Posted - 07/12/2004 : 9:20:57 PM I'd stay with silver, classic and subtle, however you could go for more contrast and use yellow. Kind of "ricey" though. Depends on the look your'e after.
Try some colored cardboard cutouts, put 'em behind the wheels and see which one you like.
Hmmmm, does that mean you think the $440,000 Porsche Carrera GT is "ricey"? It comes with yellow calipers from the factory.[8D]

Old 16 Jun 2009, 10:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Caliper color suggestions

I don't think he was quite insinuating that the yellow calipers look bad on a high-end car. It's common knowledge that any part, be it yellow, red, black, silver, or whatever, that you throw on a Carerra GT isn't gonna be a piece of shit.

On the other hand, I do think he was aiming his comment at the 14 year old teenagers that take their mom's 14" rims off their Civics and use a cheap can of spray paint and some paper towels to spray over the brake dust and grime that's been caked onto the calipers-- their common colors of choice, from what I've seen, are red (the 'Brembo' look but certainly not the 'Brembo' feel :P) and yellow.

Old 16 Jun 2009, 10:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
I don't think he was quite insinuating that the yellow calipers look bad on a high-end car. It's common knowledge that any part, be it yellow, red, black, silver, or whatever, that you throw on a Carerra GT isn't gonna be a piece of shit.

On the other hand, I do think he was aiming his comment at the 14 year old teenagers that take their mom's 14" rims off their Civics and use a cheap can of spray paint and some paper towels to spray over the brake dust and grime that's been caked onto the calipers-- their common colors of choice, from what I've seen, are red (the 'Brembo' look but certainly not the 'Brembo' feel :P) and yellow.
Touché. 5 years late, but still, touché.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 10:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Holy crap, I didn't realize this thread was that old! My fault..

Old 17 Jun 2009, 01:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Necromancy FTW!!!
Old 17 Jun 2009, 03:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Until you brought that up, I was wondering why Si-Fi and Mike-in-Orange had responded to this thread. Those were long ago members that haven't posted in years and have moved on ...somewhere.

Chris, I knew you were going through some of the old postings, since you found an old spammer before I was even a moderator, but didn't know you were going to reply to it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Haha, yeah, I'm sorry, I think I had the window open, stepped away and somehow came back thinking it was a newer thread and simply responded to what was said. I can delete it if you'd like.. :/