Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to install lowering springs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2004, 02:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Default How to install lowering springs?

I've done some pricing and I decided on the Eibach Pro Kit, but before I buy them I want to see if I can install them. I haven't been able to find anyone who will install them for less than $200. Is there anywhere I can look at installation instructions? Can I install the rear ones and then take it to have the fronts professionally done, or would I be better off having them do both? I don't have a lift or a spring compressor, but is it something that a couple people could do? Or if anyone knows a good place to have them installed in Charlotte, NC I'm open to that as well. I'm just a poor college student and I'm trying to find a way to save some money. Thanks.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 03:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you are not mechanically inclined get a pro to do it. These are suspension parts and your life could be in your hands.

That being said, I'm not a professional mechanic, but I did mine myself. It's not extremely hard to do, but you'll need an external strut spring compressor tool (set of two actually), a jack, some jack stands, and wrenches. I bought the tool at Sears, but your local auto part store may loan them out. I borrowed a tool when I lowered my Impala.

The rear doesn't require a special tool at all. Once you get the car up on jack stands and let the rear suspension hang, remove the wheels. Disconnect the upper (or lower) shock bolt on whichever side you're working on. This will allow the suspension to drop far enough for the spring to be removed. Watch it though. That spring is dangerous if all of the tension is not out of it. Then reverse everything to install.

The front is more difficult. You jack the car up and let the suspension hang. You have to disconnect the brake line, and the ABS sensor wire from the strut first. I then supported the front spindle with my jack so it wouldn't drop uncontrolled when I removed the strut. I first removed the lower strut bolt, and lowered the jack slowly. Then fron the engine compartment you have to remove the three top strut mounting nuts so it can be removed. Be very careful not to damage the boot below on the U/V joint as it's removed. You then use the spring compressors (following the instructions provided with the tool) to get the spring loose in the strut. Be very careful here because that spring can cause you great harm if it springs loose.

The top nut on the strut shaft is tricky. I imagine there's a tool for this as well, but I used a combination of a spark plug socket that fit the nut, a 1/4" drive socket to hold the post, a quarter inch extension that passed through the spark plug socket to a 1/4 drive ratchet, and a wrench to turn the spark pug socket. I know it sounds confusing. I wish I had a photo to show you. That removes the top spring perch from the strut. Then you carefully decompress the spring. The new spring will need to be Carefully compressed so that you can install it. Then the rest is just bolting everything back together. Always use torque values from the manual and get an alignment done afterwards.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 12:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm not sure what area you live in but if you are in the Dallas Ft Worth area I will do them for $100 dollars. You supply the springs. I work at a Chrysler/Dodge dealership and have worked out a deal with my service manager to do this through the shop. This includes a front wheel alignment.We can also address any warranty issues and any maintenace or service needs. If you are goint more than about 1.5 inches you will need to buy a camber kit which is about 25 dollars.
Thanks!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 01:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Man it would almost be worth the trip to Texas! Too bad my dealer wouldn't do them. If I'm ever down that way I'll let you know, thanks!

Old 01 Feb 2010, 01:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: How to install lowering springs?

Wondering if you are still installing lowering springs in the DFW area. I have a 2006 Convertible I am looking to have a set of Eibach springs.