Advertisements
Regarding the Spare Tire

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 May 2018, 04:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Regarding the Spare Tire

Afternoon everyone!

A couple months ago, I picked up an inexplicably large *bolt* in my tire.
I got out the spare, only to discover that it was completely flat and it looked dry rotted anyways. The tire with the bolt held air, so I was able to get it to the shop very slowly on back roads and fortunately, they were able to patch it and only charged me $15 to boot!

Question is, where can I source a new spare that fits the Cruiser and also fits in the spare cage? I remember someone here had a polished aluminium one at one point XD

On a side note, I abhor scissor jacks, (Predominantly because I value my life) has anyone been able to fit a small trolley jack or bottle jack in the jack compartment?

Thank you!!
Old 04 May 2018, 04:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Regarding the Spare Tire

The polished one is mine.

It's the original that came with my '01 LE, just cleaned up a little.

IMHO, the scissor jack is OK to use, ONLY if you have a flat. You will have it up and off of the ground for less than 5 minutes. Anything else, get a REAL jack.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 05 May 2018, 07:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Also, while often overlooked.. A little grease on the threaded portion of the scissors jack makes them operate much easier.
Old 05 May 2018, 08:08 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
Also, while often overlooked.. A little grease on the threaded portion of the scissors jack makes them operate much easier.
And don't forget to keep the spare tire hook lubed. Mine was rusted together when I got my Cruiser. A replacement at the Dealer was I think 35.00
Old 07 May 2018, 03:35 am
Senior Cruiser

You should find a good 'spare' rim and tire from a local boneyard. The later the better. A Neon 'spare' might also fit.
Old 20 Jul 2018, 09:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

You can call Pick-N-Pull or any salvage yard and ask if they have any spare tires for a PT Cruiser. You can also call the Chrysler parts department and ask if they have any donut spares for your car. I don't know if the wheel and tire are sold separately but if they are, tirerack.com has a spare tire for $60 and one for $111. The spare tire size for my car is 125-70-15 (Look on your door jamb for the correct size). I don't know if all PT Cruisers use the same size.
It would be better to get them brand new because a used wheel could be bent and tires dry out and get hard like wiper blades.

If you don't mind sacrificing trunk space, you could get a full size wheel and tire for much cheaper. If you get the full size spare, then you can drive your car normally because donuts only have a max speed of 50 MPH.

My mom's 2016 Chevrolet Malibu Limited LTZ only came with a tire inflator and Fix-A-Flat.
The spare tire was sold as a kit and I had to mount the tire on the wheel. The kit was $200.

If your spare won't hold air, then the problem could be rim corrosion. I went to air up my neighbor's spare once only to discover that it was leaking from all around the bead on both sides. I dismounted the tire, cleaned rust with a wire wheel attached to a die grinder, cleaned the bead of the tire, and put bead sealer on the rim flanges. The tire never lost air after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
Afternoon everyone!

A couple months ago, I picked up an inexplicably large *bolt* in my tire.
I got out the spare, only to discover that it was completely flat and it looked dry rotted anyways. The tire with the bolt held air, so I was able to get it to the shop very slowly on back roads and fortunately, they were able to patch it and only charged me $15 to boot!

Question is, where can I source a new spare that fits the Cruiser and also fits in the spare cage? I remember someone here had a polished aluminium one at one point XD

On a side note, I abhor scissor jacks, (Predominantly because I value my life) has anyone been able to fit a small trolley jack or bottle jack in the jack compartment?

Thank you!!
Old 20 Jul 2018, 09:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Great tip. I'll probably lube mine with white lithium grease on my next day off. The stuff is also great for door hinges and hood latches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsab View Post
And don't forget to keep the spare tire hook lubed. Mine was rusted together when I got my Cruiser. A replacement at the Dealer was I think 35.00
Old 21 Jul 2018, 09:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Funny...mine was flat too...
But I carry a small compressor...

Old 27 Jul 2018, 02:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Honestly I removed mine for the weight savings, It's a 15 year old tire, it ain't gonna do any help. This is why I pay $6 extra for roadside.
Carnut and Sinbad like this.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 27 Jul 2018, 05:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Will only the compact spare fit in the cage or will a small tire fit? When I bought mine there was no spare and I don't like using donuts for tires if I don't have to...
2004 N/A auto. Touring Edition (Died 2016 resurrected Nov 2017) bought for $100 Oct 2017 w/122k mi (now 133k miles). Added RBQ 6-disc changer w/Sirius. Replaced TB,WP, thermostat and gasket, front bearings w/one hub, ceramic pads w/new rotors, one brake caliper w/bracket, and lower control arm. More changes/repairs as the weather allows .
1999 300M 166k mi (now her daily driver)
2007 Sebring Touring 199K mi (daily driver)
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Ronald Reagan