Advertisements
Spare Tire Retaining Bolt/Hook Alternative

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By waxclan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2018, 09:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Spare Tire Retaining Bolt/Hook Alternative

Was reading the forum last night and noted we should check the spare to make sure it is servicable. This morning I went to lower mine and the hook broke off. After seeing the replacement cost, I substituted a 6" x 3/8" turnbuckle for the whole mechanism.

To retain the same 19 mm fitting for lowering the spare I took the bolt head end (top end) of the broken hook/bolt and cut it flush with the convex side. There is a pin you knock out from the underside that makes the interference fit of the assembly, then drilled the remaining piece out enough to knock it out leaving a small hex-head hole. With the turnbuckle, I got rid of the right hand eye-bolt and replaced it with a standard 3/8" bolt or piece of all thread and nut. I ground the 3/8" bolt head (or nut) down to become a new interference fit in the existing convex fitting. A standard nut pulled the interference fit head/nut into place and secured the assembly.

I still need to get a left hand thread 3/8" nut to secure that end of the turnbuckle to stop the turnbuckle body from turning but the new assembly fits well and works.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 11:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Spare Tire Retaining Bolt/Hook Alternative

I did something similar to what you did shortly after I got my Cruiser and my hook was rusted together and broke. I used the improvised one for a few months before I decided to get a new one from the local Chrysler dealer. I think it was about $35.00