PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Advise on removing wheels from PT on stands in a LKQ yard?

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2018, 11:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Advise on removing wheels from PT on stands in a LKQ yard?

Some of SOOO BIG's original 2005 WD9P 16"X6".0 Aluminum Chrome Clad (plastic) wheels are getting a bit long in the tooth with tire changer dings and previous owner road rash. I still like the style of these original wheels though.
The cost of a brand new set of wheels is prohibitive for me, but I can manage a few cheap wheels from LKQ. The other option is to ask, what other cars I might check out to find a good set that'd fit on SOOO BIG? Bolt pattern, brake caliper clearance, wheel size, ofset, width and weight all come in to question. A set of four would be under well $100.00
As I roam the LKQ salvage yard I've often seen ones just like the 2005 original WD9P wheels in good shape.
As all the cars in the LKQ yard are positioned on three or four stands the wheels aren't touching the ground. I've got my trusty lug wrench but I haven't been able to figure out, how to keep the tire/wheel assembly from spinning so I can loosen and remove the lug nuts??? There's got to be a trick to it that doesn't involve a NASCAR pit crew.
Please advise. Thanks Happy PTin ptprice.

Removerim.jpg

IMG_09ptdonorback.jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 08:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Advise on removing wheels from PT on stands in a LKQ yard?

If they're on the rear, set the parking brake, Price. If they're on the front,you might try jamming a screwdriver in the cooling fins of the rotor until you find the sweet spot that stops it from spinning. OR take someone with you who will just get inside and put their foot on the brake pedal. If I lived anywhere near you, I'd volunteer to go with you. But I'm a distance away. It's 140 miles from my house to Ormond Beach.
ptprice likes this.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.

Last edited by chuzz; 11 Oct 2018 at 08:27 am.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 11:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
If they're on the rear, set the parking brake, Price. If they're on the front,you might try jamming a screwdriver in the cooling fins of the rotor until you find the sweet spot that stops it from spinning. OR take someone with you who will just get inside and put their foot on the brake pedal. If I lived anywhere near you, I'd volunteer to go with you. But I'm a distance away. It's 140 miles from my house to Ormond Beach.
Great advise Chuzz. I have a long, heavy screwdriver that'll lock the front wheels as you suggested. The emergency brake should lock the rear brakes till I remove the back wheels.
I think I'll go roam the LKQ yard and search for some wheels.
Do any wheels from other cars fit the PT Criuiser? SOOO BIG's current wheels are 2005 PT Cruiser, Chrysler build sheet list, number WD9P 16"X6".0 Aluminum Chrome Clad (plastic) Wheels.
Happy PTin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 11:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Take a wooden wedge with you and jam it between the tyre (tire ) and the strut *against* whichever way you want to turn the nuts.

Other wheels that fit are VW up to Golf Mk4 and Audi of the same era, including older Audi TT - same 5 x 100 fitting, BUT you have to watch the offset on some of them. Some Audi TT offsets will be verging on too much - 30mm in some cases. 35mm is about as much as you want to go or you'll start playing havoc with the suspension geometry.

Don't you have any online sources? Mk1 PT wheels go for peanuts here in Germany. As for others, I just picked up a set of these in mint condition for 50 Euros. Couldn't resist

5x100 and 38mm offset (PT wheels are between 37 and 40mm depending on the wheels)

PS: you'll find the offset is cast or stamped on the wheel somewhere - usually between the bolt holes or on the back of the spokes - look for (eg) "ET 38" = 38mm offset. The LOWER the number the MORE it will stick out - which generally means that you'll have no brake or suspension fouling issues so long as you have an ET *LOWER* than a PT's - and unless you're lowered you shouldn't have any issues bodywork wise either given the amount of space around a PT's wheel arches. Do not be tempted to buy a set of wheels lower than 30 ET - you WILL screw up the handling
ptprice likes this.

Bollocks to Brexit

Last edited by Sinbad; 11 Oct 2018 at 11:43 am.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 12:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
Take a wooden wedge with you and jam it between the tyre (tire ) and the strut *against* whichever way you want to turn the nuts.

Other wheels that fit are VW up to Golf Mk4 and Audi of the same era, including older Audi TT - same 5 x 100 fitting, BUT you have to watch the offset on some of them. Some Audi TT offsets will be verging on too much - 30mm in some cases. 35mm is about as much as you want to go or you'll start playing havoc with the suspension geometry.

Don't you have any online sources? Mk1 PT wheels go for peanuts here in Germany. As for others, I just picked up a set of these in mint condition for 50 Euros. Couldn't resist

5x100 and 38mm offset (PT wheels are between 37 and 40mm depending on the wheels)

PS: you'll find the offset is cast or stamped on the wheel somewhere - usually between the bolt holes or on the back of the spokes - look for (eg) "ET 38" = 38mm offset. The LOWER the number the MORE it will stick out - which generally means that you'll have no brake or suspension fouling issues so long as you have an ET *LOWER* than a PT's - and unless you're lowered you shouldn't have any issues bodywork wise either given the amount of space around a PT's wheel arches. Do not be tempted to buy a set of wheels lower than 30 ET - you WILL screw up the handling
Ah... I'm still puzzling over 'offset'... do you know whether that 35mm offset limit holds true for "turbo' (specifically turbo lite) front wheels? I've been pining for a set of AR wheels, but the 16 inch version only comes in 35mm offset... (I think!) None of the "tire rack" type operations seems to have a clue!
Old 11 Oct 2018, 12:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Suspension is designed to behave predictably and not shag itself out and offset is part of that equasion. If you put wider wheels on with the offset further out, whereas "as designed" the tyre tread sits on the road surface and the weight of the car sits on the tyre tread, with a screwed up offset the steering geometry thinks the tyre is running (eg) 3" under the road surface (or conversley above it)

Yes, "racers" put wide wheels on and their car sticks like shit to a blanket. They also lose control under braking, which isn't advisable in everyday driving. If your brakes are pulling a bit to one side, with the correct offset you'll likely never know. Put the wrong offset on and you might well spin as soon as you try to anchor up hard. Steering can become heavy / light. It can also become lethal from unpredicatable oversteer / understeer. All sorts of shit happens when you goof with suspension geometry. It's a science, and for normal use it pays to stay within reasonable distance of what the manufacturer spent millions quantifying for a given car. If you stick to to 35mm <-> 40mm with a PT you won't affect anything. Outside that, you're gambling.

Bollocks to Brexit
Old 11 Oct 2018, 01:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Ah... I'm still puzzling over 'offset'... do you know whether that 35mm offset limit holds true for "turbo' (specifically turbo lite) front wheels? I've been pining for a set of AR wheels, but the 16 inch version only comes in 35mm offset... (I think!) None of the "tire rack" type operations seems to have a clue!
35mm will be OK *IMHO* although you WILL feel a difference in some circumstances - and remember the offset is the centre line of the wheel - a wheel with a 6" tyre is different to a wheel with an 8" tyre, so rim width matters to a degree as well. You can't cheat suspension and steering geometry - it will always find out

Go to a tyre rack outlet and get them to take one of your front wheels off and sit one of the wheels you want on the car. Then you know for sure it fits and doesn't foul the brakes (unlikely - it *should* be 3-5mm further out than the standard wheel)

Bollocks to Brexit

Last edited by Sinbad; 11 Oct 2018 at 01:06 pm.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 01:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius

Bollocks to Brexit
Old 12 Oct 2018, 07:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've used this method on numerous occasions: Push the lug wrench to start the wheel spinning clockwise, then give a quick, sharp tug counterclockwise. A few of those often breaks the lug nut free.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 09:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Advise on removing wheels from PT on stands in a LKQ yard?

Quote:
Hey guys, I did that research after a previous post/thread!
There are VW wheels that would fit the Cruiser.
Now, as to which VW wheels, you would have to do some reverse research.

The AmRacing Torque Thrust wheels that I am matching specs on are a great match. Except for....
My GT has a 35 mm offset.
The Torque Thrusts have a 45mm offset....which only means that you will have 10mm extra space away from wheel center and brakes. Or, 10mm more wheel sticking outward of the wheel well.
AR105AM Torq Thrust M Antracite /machined lip (per wheel) : Vintage Wheels, Mustang, Hot Rod and Muscle Car

That extra 10mm should make no difference at all in performance and handling.

ptprice likes this.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 12 Oct 2018 at 09:32 pm.