Advertisements
Michelin Defender T+H Review

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slowrider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jan 2019, 12:03 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Michelin Defender T+H Review

I have a 2008 PT Cruiser Touring with 205-55-16 tires. I used to have the Cooper CS5 Grand Touring. Before the CS5's, I had Michelin Destiny's. I really liked the Coopers better. I priced out some Michelins and Coopers at work back in early 2018 because I was about to go on a long trip, it had been raining alot, and my Coopers had about 3-4 32nds of tread remaining. My employee discount made the Michelins about $200 cheaper than the Coopers. The Coopers would've been about $550. I asked some co-workers which brand was better and they all said Michelin. Both tires have a 80,000 mile warranty, an asymmetric tread design, and are both marketed as a premium tire. They're basically the same on paper. The Michelin Defenders have a higher speed rating though (H vs. T). I ended up getting the Michelins. I check my tire pressures every other week. When I check my tire pressure, I do it first thing in the morning before the car is driven and before the sun shines on them. Before adjusting the pressure, I look at the ambient outside air temperature, then look at the weather forecast to see what the lowest temperature is for the week. So if it's currently 40F outside and the lowest temperature for the week is 35F, then I set my pressure 0.5 PSI above what the door says with a digital pressure gauge (you can get them pretty cheap at Wal-Mart). It's scientifically proven that tire pressure changes by 1 PSI for every 10F difference. Tire pressure normally increases by about 4-6 PSI while driving so I never check the pressure when they're hot. Anyways, I noticed that the new Michelins are just as loud as the worn out Coopers. The Michelin's have a stiffer ride than the Coopers did. The Michelins have better handling and steering response than the Coopers. I feel like the Cooper CS5 Grand Tourings had better traction in the rain. The Michelins do seem a little smoother when going over broken pavement than the Coopers though. I didn't realize how much play I had in the inner and outer tie rods until after I put the Michelins on and aligned the car. After replacing the worn out parts, I didn't notice any major differences in ride quality. After putting on Moog inner and outer tie rods, the car handles better and doesn't pull towards on coming traffic anymore. If money grew on trees, I would've gotten the Cooper CS5 Grand Touring again but after what I paid for the Michelin Defenders, I'm pretty happy with the Michelins.
chuzz likes this.