• 2 Post By VsandFords
  • 2 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By Grasshopper77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2019, 06:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Full Size Spare Tire Mod

Hey guys!

So, one of my 5 spoke factory chrome rims has a slow leak. I went to the junkyard and found a matching rim, I'm going to have my current tire re mounted on the replacement rim. The rim I got also has a tire on it in decent shape. I was thinking of having it mounted on the leaking rim, finding and fixing the leak and trying to mod the undercarriage so I can have a full size spare tire, should I ever need it. Anyone tried this before?
ptprice likes this.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 08:05 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Full Size Spare Tire Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
Hey guys!

So, one of my 5 spoke factory chrome rims has a slow leak. I went to the junkyard and found a matching rim, I'm going to have my current tire re mounted on the replacement rim. The rim I got also has a tire on it in decent shape. I was thinking of having it mounted on the leaking rim, finding and fixing the leak and trying to mod the undercarriage so I can have a full size spare tire, should I ever need it. Anyone tried this before?

I just had a side wall blow out on SOOO BIG's left rear tire.
Road side assistance swapped it for that tiny wheel and tire, but I still got up close and personal with the small spare that's tucked under our PT's. I'd have to say that little bugger was hard enough to get out and back under there. Gettin' a full size tire and rim under there might be a project for a second reflection.
I remember wrestling full sized spares out of trunks over a life time when I had a flat. That little one's appears a lot lighter to handle and it is good for about 50 miles. I've used my little spare tire twice totaling about 6 miles. Tread and side wall still looks good to go. Just always recheck and top of it's air pressure with that examination. Also that little spare does double duty. It's positioned to take the brunt of a rear end collision and protect the gas tank from goin'up in flames. Unless you're just bound to court a hernia I say let well enough alone. Stay with the baby spare.
Happy PTin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 19 Aug 2019 at 08:34 am.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 08:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would say it depends on your exhaust system?

I completely removed my spare and when necessary for long trip carry it inside the PT.

I did completely re-paint is and got a cover for it so it would be clean to carry inside the PT.

ptprice and chuzz like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Aug 2019, 09:46 am
Senior Cruiser

From what I've seen, you will need to highly modify the cage, or build a new one.

It is only big enough to hold the "donut".
Handy_Cruiser and chuzz like this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 19 Aug 2019, 06:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

^^^^ Mike likes showing off his polished spare whenever he gets the chance! LOL Just kidding buddy, I know you do good work.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 19 Aug 2019, 08:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm sure it's very possible, but you might lose some ground clearance and astetics in the process with very little gain. Mount the full size spare and leave it at home. I've seen people drive on those spares for what seems like forever!
NitroPT likes this.