PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake Rotor Warped????

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Sep 2019, 05:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Brake Rotor Warped????

Good news that you finally got rid of the noise! When both rotors warped after such a short use without any major braking events or mechanical issue I would question the quality of those rotors

If they work as good as they look, that is a nice piece of equiment
Old 26 Sep 2019, 08:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj318 View Post
Good news that you finally got rid of the noise! When both rotors warped after such a short use without any major braking events or mechanical issue I would question the quality of those rotors

If they work as good as they look, that is a nice piece of equiment
You might go re-read this thread again....

The length or service use and one of the last breaking speeds specifically. There are so many variables that can occur in a year to cause a rotor to warp none of which for that service time. Now if it had happened during the bedin process I would suspect poor quality as one of the many factors but also not necessarily without examination conclusive.

I understand you wanting to "think" your other post is supported but it really isn't.

BTW I design brake system mainly BBK's and have a couple marketed on another platform and has sold successfully for years. I have also used and sold those brands you mentioned and those mentioned on this thread without concern or failure. The odds of getting 2 warped rotors from one brand that all material and specification finish quality were the same are almost like winning the lotto. The only exception would have been a custom machined rotor or a brand like Wilwood brakes
chuzz likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Sep 2019, 02:14 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
You might go re-read this thread again....

The length or service use and one of the last breaking speeds specifically. There are so many variables that can occur in a year to cause a rotor to warp none of which for that service time. Now if it had happened during the bedin process I would suspect poor quality as one of the many factors but also not necessarily without examination conclusive.

I understand you wanting to "think" your other post is supported but it really isn't.
I dont't get you. As mentioned, if those things warped within 17 months of use WITHOUT any major breaking incident, I (!) would not buy that brand again. Happened to me once, so I never bought that brand again. If you gave that brand another chance, its your choice

Seems soonercruiser is looking out for a replacement so he made his decision.
Old 27 Sep 2019, 08:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj318 View Post
I dont't get you. As mentioned, if those things warped within 17 months of use WITHOUT any major breaking incident, I (!) would not buy that brand again. Happened to me once, so I never bought that brand again. If you gave that brand another chance, its your choice

Seems soonercruiser is looking out for a replacement so he made his decision.
LOL

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Sep 2019, 10:51 am
Senior Cruiser

I agree with Nitro. We don't know enough info to condemn this brand. Is sooner one of those drivers that drives with his foot on the brake? Has he made any sudden stops and then left his foot on the pedal causing the heat to be retained in that position? Has it happened a couple of times in 17 months? All the cryogenic freezing or zinc coating or high carbon iron is not going to mean anything if the brakes were not bedded in in the first place.

Are the calipers sticking? Are the slides lubed? Pinched brake hose? These three things can cause excess heat and warpage. We don't know. All we know is 17 months of use. That's all. Not enough info to condemn the brand.
Old 27 Sep 2019, 11:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sooner has solved the problem and drastically will improve his PT Cruiser braking by installing his new Red Wilwood BBK with drilled and slotted rotors he said he has coming to him!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Sep 2019, 03:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I agree with Nitro. We don't know enough info to condemn this brand. Is sooner one of those drivers that drives with his foot on the brake? Has he made any sudden stops and then left his foot on the pedal causing the heat to be retained in that position? Has it happened a couple of times in 17 months? All the cryogenic freezing or zinc coating or high carbon iron is not going to mean anything if the brakes were not bedded in in the first place.

Are the calipers sticking? Are the slides lubed? Pinched brake hose? These three things can cause excess heat and warpage. We don't know. All we know is 17 months of use. That's all. Not enough info to condemn the brand.
Sooner drives with his foot on the gas pedal.
My other car is a Dodge Challenger SRT8 HEMI!

And I somewhat disagree with you guys....except for the "bedding-in".
Good brakes systems should last a while before showing any signs of a problem!
How many years did the OEM ones go along with no trouble????
And, I do take better care of my Cruiser than the average driver.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 27 Sep 2019 at 04:02 pm.
Old 05 Oct 2019, 11:16 am
Regular Cruiser

I've been very pleased with the products from these guys:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/usdirectparts

I've also purchased from a vendor in Canada, but those rotors got noisy. Hasn't been a problem from US Direct Parts.

My 2 cents.

Bob in Liberty.